PDA

View Full Version : I'm moving to Portland, OR :)

sunnyside
12-03-2011, 02:29 AM
I haven't been around here as much recently. Some of you might remember that I'm a single mom..

Anyway, over the last couple of months I've been getting my ducks in a row and we leave next Saturday for Portland. I'm really excited to get there and get settled into my new house and decorate for the holidays. I know there are a number of posters here from Portland, and I just wanted to say hi and how excited I am to move there!

:cheerleader1::bighand::wavey::bighand: :cheerleader1:

lalasmama
12-03-2011, 02:44 AM
Welcome to Portland! It's a great place to live!

ellies mom
12-03-2011, 03:02 AM
I'm right across the river and a PM away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larig
12-03-2011, 03:02 AM
welcome to the PNW.

citymama
12-03-2011, 03:14 AM
Yay! That is great news. I remember how stressful things were for you being near your ex. I hope this brings you closer to your family. And is it so wrong that I'm also admiring your proximity to the main Hanna store and *outlet*? ;)

Hope this move brings you everything you hoped it would!

sunnyside
12-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Thanks everyone! So far things are really falling into place. I don't have family there, but I have many friends there and I just really needed to be closer to a support network.

citymama - I'll have to look and see where they are! I'll be on the NE side.

elektra
12-03-2011, 04:02 AM
Congrats! I have never lived in Portland but loved it when visiting. Good luck. :)

sunshine873
12-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Congrats! & although I love where I am right now, might I add that I'm completely jealous? :D

TwinFoxes
12-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Glad to hear from you and congratulations. I'm glad things seem to be falling into place for you, I remember you were going through some bumpy times.

Melaine
12-03-2011, 08:14 AM
My brother just moved back home from Portland. He really liked it and hopes to go back.
Good luck with your new home. I hope this is a very special holiday season for you and DD!

amldaley
12-03-2011, 08:24 AM
I love Portland and so wish I could move there! Hope it all works out well for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnnieW625
12-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Good luck with your move. Portland is a great place to live from what I hear. My brother lives in West Linn and is happy living in the area.

crl
12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Wishing you a smooth move and happy holidays!
Catherine

zag95
12-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Welcome to Portland! We've been having gorgeous weather for us- no rain! And lots of sunny, although cold weather! Christmas trees galore!

Lots of fun Christmasy things here- be sure to catch the Zoo Lights! Your DD would love it!

I'm down in Milwaukie. I know Lalasmama and Uno-Mom are also Portlanders!

Feel free to PM with questions about things- docs, etc. Hope you have a safe trip out and smooth transition!

Take care-

Uno-Mom
12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Welcome, welcome! Too bad you're not coming today. It's lovely, sunny and dry. Fingers crossed for you next Saturday. Please do PM us natives if you need local tips.

Wow, it's getting to the point that we could have our own bbb meet-up. Go out for real coffee...a microbrew...stroll around a market or two...

Here's a couple free tips: we don't use umbrellas. Watch out for bicyclists! (They are quite militant round here). And, if you want to blend in you can get a "Keep Portland Weird" sticker for your car. :)

zoestargrove
12-03-2011, 01:01 PM
so thrilled to hear this update and know you will have the support of your IRL friends nearby and also the comraderie of local bbbers. I've only visited Portland, but LOVED it. YAY!

scrooks
12-03-2011, 02:46 PM
:cheerleader1:Congrats on your move!

lalasmama
12-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone! So far things are really falling into place. I don't have family there, but I have many friends there and I just really needed to be closer to a support network.

citymama - I'll have to look and see where they are! I'll be on the NE side.

The local Hanna outlet is a quick and easy jaunt down I-5 to Lake Oswego. Not a bad drive at all from the NE area.

Like others mentioned, ZooLights are fun to see up at the (where else?) zoo. It's in the SW area (Beaverton/Cedar Hills area).

Portland International Raceway does a "Winter Wonderland" light show where you drive the racetrack to look at Christmas lights. Pretty fun. They often hand out peppermint hot cocoa and CD/tape of Christmas music to listen to on the drive. DD loves it.

Make sure to have an ice scraper for your car. I was surprised at having to use it this week!

Umbrellas are a definite no-no. Hee hee hee. Just get used to the feeling of wet shoes (or bring a second pair).

You might also want to look for "shoe chains" which are the safest way to get around when the ice hits. Oh, and while ice/snow may make it impossible to drive anywhere, TriMet (the bus system) keeps going no matter what. :heartbeat: that!

Great parks around here, too!

Like the others said, feel free to PM us about other questions too!

maestramommy
12-03-2011, 03:36 PM
:bighand:congratulations! I've read about Portland in a food magazine lately, and they seem to be really tops when it comes to sustainable farming and eating.

katydid1971
12-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Welcome to the neighborhood (I'm only 100 miles south)!!!

Don't for get to pack a raincoat!!!

Congratulations, its a great place to be.

karin4
12-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Welcome to Portland-- and the east side of the river, especially! I'm in the SE, and love it.

Unless it's just the light misty stuff, I totally use an umbrella!

boogiemomz
12-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Portland is AWESOME!!! Please make a trip to Powell's SOON for me. Congrats on your new home! :yay:

Uno-Mom
12-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Tsk Tsk...there's always one rebel. Hee hee.

Go eastsiders! And I'm off to Powells tomorrow... I think of it as my spiritual home. I'll think about you all. :)

ellies mom
12-03-2011, 04:20 PM
OK- I will admit to using an umbrella when walking DD1 to the bus. But that is more to keep the rain out of my coffee. But otherwise, I don't really bother.

The Grotto (http://www.thegrotto.org/events/christmas-festival-of-lights/) has an absolutely beautiful festival of lights also. I honestly like it better than the Zoo Lights.

lalasmama
12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Welcome to Portland-- and the east side of the river, especially! I'm in the SE, and love it.

Hey, I'm in SE too!

(but I still don't use an umbrella)

larig
12-03-2011, 05:58 PM
yeah, and in the PNW I traded my winter coat for a nice waterproof jacket.

StantonHyde
12-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Oh good for you!! I know things were tough with your ex. I am so glad that you and your little sweetie get a great new start!!!

sunnyside
12-04-2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks so much everyone for the positive thoughts and the tips! I'm so excited I can almost not stand it. I just am so happy. I love my new house. My mom is going to help me move in and stay until just before New Years so she can watch Chlöe. My dad will come for Christmas. We will be able to go see the lights and do other fun holiday things. It's going to be wonderful.

I'm so glad it is working out. I've been in the Reno/Tahoe area for 6 years, but was in Tahoe the first 3. It doesn't suit me, and to be able to leave and get back on my path after such a huge detour is very liberating. I'm sad that it didn't work out with my ex, but at least I am not trapped in Nevada anymore. I've always lived in great places (New Orleans, San Francisco, Tahoe, etc) and I'm relieved to be going somewhere great again. I already feel like I'm getting my happiness back.

I can't wait to get there and get unpacked and finally be able to exhale! :cheerleader1:

lalasmama
12-04-2011, 01:35 AM
And posting at 9:30pm local time... Good practice for the late night threads we tend to have with the west coast BBB'ers :)

sunnyside
12-04-2011, 02:19 AM
And posting at 9:30pm local time... Good practice for the late night threads we tend to have with the west coast BBB'ers :)

Yay!! :bouncy: