PDA

View Full Version : Book with CD for 3.5 year old?

wellyes
12-03-2011, 10:33 AM
DD's preschool teacher recommends that we try books with CD. DD loves to look at books and is eager to learn to read. I'd love some recommendations - I see some read along stories on Amazon, but I can't tell which are good for what I'm looking for. And also appropriate, in terms of skill level, for a 3.5 year old who so far only knows her letters. Thanks!

JTsMom
12-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Scholastic always has great deals on sets of these. There was recently one posted in the Bargains forum.

They aren't really "learn to read" types of books though, if that's what you have in mind. More like "enjoy good children's lit" type books.

brittone2
12-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Does your library have any to try? I know most of the libraries we use have some books with CDs.

ITA that they can be hard for kids to learn to read with though.

My kids both got into books on CD at that age, but mostly just to listen vs. really following in the book. We like Jim Weiss's audio renditions (check out Greathall Productions) like Uncle Wiggly for that age.

kedss
12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
frog and toad
little bear
curious george
(all these I found at my local library)

ourbabygirl
12-06-2011, 01:05 AM
My 3 yo DD loves these lately, too! She received a Bambi set as a gift from my SIL (though she says it's scary and I'm not crazy about what happens in the story!), so she listened to that a lot for a while. We've checked out about 5 or so from the library, a bunch of Thomas ones and some others (Biscuit, can't remember what else). I looked on Amazon, and they don't have much, but I did add a Clifford one to my cart as well as the Three Little Kittens story, which she likes. Ended up getting her a Thomas one for Christmas from Half Price Books, but I searched and searched at their store and only came up with a few options. Most that you'll find are about $9.99; the one I bought happened to be about $3 or 4, I think. :)

happymom
12-06-2011, 03:18 AM
My 3.5 yr old class just listened to "Llama Llama Mad at Mama" on cd today and LOVED it! I love all the llama books actually. Definitely not a learn-to-read level book though! We have several books on cd in my classroom, but that one comes to mind since we listened to it today. They also enjoy "Duck at the Door", "Tooth Trouble", the Froggy books...does your DD's school have scholastic book orders? That;s where I got all of mine from. They often have book/cd sets.

citymama
12-06-2011, 04:08 AM
DD1 really got into the CD set called "The Frances Audio Collection" (Bedtime for Frances etc.) at that age. She also liked the Frog and Toad CDs and Winnie the Pooh read by Stephen Fry, Judi Dench et al. We borrowed all these out of our public library.

kedss
12-06-2011, 05:53 AM
and the 'Sheep with a Jeep' series is really cute- they have read a longs on Amazon-
http://www.amazon.com/Sheep-Jeep-Read-Along-Book-CD/dp/0618695222/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323165114&sr=1-1

jerigirl
12-06-2011, 01:25 PM
My son really liked the Usborne Farmyard Tales (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Farmyard-Tales-Usbourne/dp/0794509029/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323192161&sr=1-5)book at that age.