PDA

View Full Version : ASAP Help please: Joint party/ two gifts?

MommyofAmaya
12-03-2011, 12:10 PM
DH and DD are leaving the house to go to a classmate's birthday party. When I checked the address I noticed that it is a joint party for her and her 3yo brother. Do we need to send a gift for both kids?

anonomom
12-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Do you know the family or the brother? If so, I'd say yes, bring a present. Otherwise, I don't think it would be expected. If you have something appropriate in your gift closet, then it's always nice to bring something, but you are in way obligated, I'd say. I would assume/hope that if it's a joint party, the family has invited some of the little one's friends, and they will bring him presents.

MommyofAmaya
12-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Do you know the family or the brother? If so, I'd say yes, bring a present. Otherwise, I don't think it would be expected. If you have something appropriate in your gift closet, then it's always nice to bring something, but you are in way obligated, I'd say. I would assume/hope that if it's a joint party, the family has invited some of the little one's friends, and they will bring him presents.

We do not know the family or the brother and I'll have to pull something out of my kid's stocking stash to send a gift along for him.

urquie
12-03-2011, 12:28 PM
No, just send a present for the girl.

DietCokeLover
12-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I just did a joint party for my two. I think it's a nice gesture to include a little something for the brother, but definitely not required.

MommyofAmaya
12-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I just did a joint party for my two. I think it's a nice gesture to include a little something for the brother, but definitely not required.

I just sent them on their way with a craft kit I dug out of the very back of the closet for the brother. Hopefully they will put it to better use than we have!

JustMe
12-03-2011, 01:02 PM
As someone who had a joint birthday party for my 2 kids last year I in no way wanted those who only knew/had a relationship with one of my kids to bring something for both. I say don't send anything for the other child unless you really, really want to.

gatorsmom
12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
We just had a party for our 4yo twins. We got games they could both play or crayola/playdough type toys they could play with.

kdeunc
12-03-2011, 03:52 PM
We have always had joint birthday parties for the boys and I would never expect a child who only knew one kid to bring a gift for the other. They each invite their friends and then we have family friends who do bring gifts for both.

GaPeach_in_Ca
12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
How funny. My son was at a joint birthday party when I saw this. I honestly did not even think of getting his friend's sister a present. Oops.