PDA

View Full Version : How many size newborn diapers??

wallawala
12-03-2011, 05:36 PM
I can't remember from DD and am trying to stock up now.

A little background. Expecting DS in 3 weeks, will be a planned CS at 40 weeks. I am measuring exactly the same size as I did with DD who was born at 39.5 weeks and was 7lb 6oz. So not anticipating a huge kid. Definately planning to BF, so with the normal baby wt loss in the first week, I suspect we can wear newborn size for a good 2-4 weeks??

Trying to decide if we should get a few smaller packs from Target (36 or 72 count) with the 10GC/$50 deal, or just go for a mega 240pack from Amazon which really is cheaper with S&S/mom program. I know i could always donate extra diapers, but harder to find a baby who needs N size through daycare (I know bigger sizes are always accepted there).

nrp
12-03-2011, 05:40 PM
My my recent DD at 8lb 4oz never could wear them. My other kids, 6lb 13oz and 7lb 4oz could wear them a short while, but I don't think i could have gone through 240.

SnuggleBuggles
12-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I was doing the math and thinking 10 diapers/ day could get you to 240. I personally wouldn't buy that money because you may find the brand just doesn't fit well. Even if you liked them before you might not like them now.

Beth

hoodlims
12-03-2011, 06:47 PM
I'd get the large pack of Size 1s. Maybe a large pack of Seventh Generation Size 1, because they run a little smaller (8-14lbs). That is what I got for my 2nd baby (due next week). The hospital should send you home with a smaller pack of Newborns in Pampers or Huggies.

Simon
12-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't get that many (240) in the NB size because you'll use a few days worth at the hospital and then bring some home from there, right? Even with my preemies I don't think I would have used that many.

llama8
12-03-2011, 11:13 PM
My first DD was 9 lbs and I used 1 pack of newborn jumbo packs and she could barely fit in them.

DD2 was 7lb 8 oz and she used 80 newborn diapers. She outgrew them very quickly too.

I would invest in a lot of 1's but go light on the newborn. You can always buy more newborn if you need them...but you know you will use the size 1's. (I think both of mine used about 700+ size 1's each).

Minnifer
12-03-2011, 11:40 PM
I would invest in a lot of 1's but go light on the newborn. You can always buy more newborn if you need them...but you know you will use the size 1's. My DS was full term but small (5lb12oz) and we still barely used any newborn size - I think I had 1 small pack. Our hospital skips the newborn size altogether and just uses 1s.

JBaxter
12-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Nathan and Jack wore none. Even my 8lb12 boy pee'd up his belly with newborn size. Then Nathan broke out in a rash from pampers. I would buy one bag of NB and one bag of 1's. Dont get stuck with 240 until you make sure you have no issues with that brand.

wallawala
12-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks!! I'll start with a small pack then. I'd done the math and thought 240 might be perfect, but sounds like it's so unpredicatable, better to just buy more if needed.

I got burned on the kirkland brand with DD, as the 1s are really 1-2's and she peed right out of them as I didn't realized they were really too too big.

Didn't want to overcompensate the other way this time! :)

catsnkid
12-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Yes, I think I had about 130 or so NB's, counting the ones sent home from the hospital. DS was overdue but was 8 lbs, 2 oz and EBF. Much easier to size up if needed when you are at the cusp.

daisymommy
12-04-2011, 02:44 PM
All of my babies were about that size (7.1, 7.2, 7.3) and wore newborn diapers for 3 weeks. I'm pretty sure we went through 4 packs of diapers. I should have just bought a box to save money, and given away any we didn't use.

We also went through 12-15 diapers a day.

No way they could have worn size 1's until week 4.

BabbyO
12-05-2011, 09:36 AM
With DS2 (3 mo now) we went through 2 cases (108 dipers/case) plus 2 packages (small) that we received at the hospital. All Newborn size.

He fit in the 1-2 size for a little while; maybe 1 month, and we're on to Size 2 now.

I got a case initially because I KNEW that the hospital would put the baby in Pampers Swaddlers...and they are nearly the only brand newborn size diaper you can find around here. Since I knew we'd have them on in the hospital I knew if he reacted to them, we'd have time to return before opening the cases.

DS1 was the same way. My boys were 7.3 and 7.0 lbs at birth.

marymoo86
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
All of my babies were about that size (7.1, 7.2, 7.3) and wore newborn diapers for 3 weeks. I'm pretty sure we went through 4 packs of diapers. I should have just bought a box to save money, and given away any we didn't use.

We also went through 12-15 diapers a day.

No way they could have worn size 1's until week 4.

same here - lasted about a month

DD was 7.4lbs

whitethomas
12-07-2011, 06:14 AM
My DD was 5lbs 6oz when born but hospital provided me 1s. So actually I never used newborn size. So its better to buy small pack for a while. You can always buy more if required.