PDA

View Full Version : Booster question

cara1
12-03-2011, 05:55 PM
1. Any real reason to get hbb vs. backless for 7 & 10 yr old who do ok in backless?
2. We use Harmony light rider for travel. Any reason not to use that as our primary booster (vs. a more expensive one?)

TIA.

SnuggleBuggles
12-03-2011, 05:58 PM
My ds1 prefers his HBB for comfort's sake so that is a reason to consider a HBB. He is 9 and has both (1 in each car). For a 10yo I'd go low back though, just b/c you won't need it that much longer probably and they cost less. 7yo would get a HBB unless she is more comfy in a LBB.

Don't know the Harmony- sorry!

Beth

Joolsplus2
12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
As long as the car has proper head restraints a noback is fine. If they like the Harmony, keep using it. The Cruz offers more leg support, but no point spending money unless someone's complaining about discomfort in the lite rider.

JamiMac
12-04-2011, 12:38 PM
As far as safety is concerned, is there really not any benefit of having the head protection of say, the Parkway, over a LBB. I have a LB Amp for DD, who is 7 to use as a second seat and she's really pushing for it to be her primary seat. I'm about to buy a Parkway or Turbo for her because her other is expired, but is the Amp really ok? What about the Amp HBB, is that rated as well as the LB Amp?

Joolsplus2
12-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Statistically, there's no difference. A few years ago, the highbacks offered much better head protection, but the latest study shows high- and no- backs are the same. I still tend to like highbacks in my car without curtain airbags, I guess it's just my mama-bear gut telling me that a big headwing is better, but I'm pretty lax in my car with curtain airbags and go to no-backs sooner with those (as long as the kid doesn't want/need sleep support).
The Amps are all the same bottom, and allow fine lapbelt fit. The highback isn't very tall nor very deep for protection/sleeping, so it might not be my first choice....

JamiMac
12-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks Julie! I do have side curtain airbags, so I guess I may go with the low back for now. It's hard for me to wrap my head around that being safe after all these years of car seats wrapping around their heads practically. :wink2: I keep telling my kids I'm going to sit on them so they'll quit growing. :loveeyes: