PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on betta fish

zoestargrove
12-03-2011, 09:55 PM
My son received some money for his bday and wanted to get a fish. A long time ago someone gave me a betta fish and it lived a long life for the little care I gave it, so I thought that would be a great beginner fish for my son to take care of.

At the store, he spied a small aquarium that had a divider and was meant to keep 2 betta fish separate. He decided then that he wanted to buy a fish for his brother too.

We brought them home. Treated the water and set up the aquarium. 2 days later, my son's fish was dead and his brother's fish was fine. I dried his tears, cleaned out the tank, buried the fish and schlepped to the pet store for a new fish. Once again, treated the water, put the fish inside his new home. Less than 2 days and my son's fish is dead. His brother's fish on the other side of the tank is still swimming around happily.

What are we doing wrong? I don't want to keep making the same mistakes. My plan to to separate the fish - set up the new fish in a vase like the fish I had many years ago.

I wish I had never agreed to this idea.

mytwosons
12-03-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm going to guess the fish had some health issues when you got them.

When we bought our beta, I bought an active one as I read online. It was still sick. I bought some drops at the store that we added to the water; I think they treated fungus and something else. It really did help.

We also added a small heater to the tank, which I think/read makes a difference.

hillview
12-03-2011, 10:05 PM
We've had a beta in a bowl for almost 3 years. We change the water every 4 days or so and add drops to the water. He is fed 3-4 pellets every day. There is no heater in the bowl.

I am guessing you just have some bad fish. Maybe hit a different pet store?

zoestargrove
12-03-2011, 10:09 PM
I bought the 2nd one from a different store thinking maybe the first was sick. I'll make sure to pick a feisty swimmer the next time and hope for better luck.

That was my experience before with a beta fish. It was the heartiest thing and we didn't do anything special.

thanks

lalasmama
12-03-2011, 10:25 PM
We've been fish-mamas to four Betas so far. Wilbur was still going strong at 2 years from purchase (he went to live with my niece, and I don't know what happened to him; I should ask). Riba (Russian for fish; my Ukranian friend gave him to us) lived about 2 years with very meager care--like no bowl changings for months at a time. Pescado (from my Latina friend) lived next-bowl to Riba. Pescado had a twisty-ride funeral about 2 years from purchase. He started having something "growing" on his underside. And then we have Sam. Sam's made it through 3 housing moves. His bowl is a cheap Wal-mart set up- 1.5 gallon, I think- no heater, no filter, no cover, no nothin'. It gets changed...oh, maybe seasonally. He is the fiestiest fish we have ever seen. He plays "tag"--he swims up to where you are, you touch the glass, he swims away fast and "hides", then swims right back to where you are, and you touch the glass, and off he goes again. On occasion, we show him a mirror, just to let him "stretch" since he doesn't get any other frights. He gets a few pellets a night and he's a happy boy.

All this said, I really hate those divided tanks. I have no proof, but it seems to me that since they "fight" when they see another beta in the other side of the tank, that maybe those tanks aren't really healthy. I just see their tiny hearts going into overdrive seeing their "enemy" multiple times a day....

zoestargrove
12-03-2011, 10:31 PM
They didn't seem to notice each other even though the divider had tiny holes, but I will I definitely remove the divider and give the living fish the entire tank. The next new fish will have it's own place. It seemed a really small tank for 2 fish.

Liziz
12-04-2011, 12:04 AM
I had a Betta that lived 4+ years. I don't think you're doing anything wrong -- small fish like Bettas and Goldfish are very frequently sick when you get them at the pet store. I think separating them is a good idea, that way if one is fine and the other has some disease, they don't spread it to the other. Good luck with this next one!

AngB
12-04-2011, 01:39 AM
Betta fish are very aggressive (and will fight and kill each other if you put them in the same tank undivided.) It might be that seeing another fish stressed it out, etc. , so I'd definitely try keeping one in another tank. I'd recommend another small aquarium with a little filter (I know our Walmart used to sell them for around $10) to keep the water cleaner for longer...this is the tank we had, (for $9.97) we never had an issue keeping fish alive in it and it has a little light and everything http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-1-Corner-Tank-Aquarium-1gal-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/10312983

artvandalay
12-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Betta fish are very aggressive (and will fight and kill each other if you put them in the same tank undivided.) It might be that seeing another fish stressed it out, etc. , so I'd definitely try keeping one in another tank. I'd recommend another small aquarium with a little filter (I know our Walmart used to sell them for around $10) to keep the water cleaner for longer...this is the tank we had, (for $9.97) we never had an issue keeping fish alive in it and it has a little light and everything http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-1-Corner-Tank-Aquarium-1gal-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/10312983

:yeahthat: This was my first thought. We had a beta in a bowl once, and we kept it on my son's dresser, in front of the mirror. I seem to remember reading that you shouldn't put a beta by a mirror because it might think it's another fish and try and "fight" with it, and get injured. So, I had to put something in front of the mirror to keep him from looking at himself.

When I first read your post I thought it was odd to have a fishtank divided for two betas. I never thought you could do this.