PDA

View Full Version : Do you celebrate the winter solstice? How?

Simon
12-03-2011, 10:18 PM
I would love to hear some ideas! I would like to do something to commemorate the event, but I am not certain what to do.

We do have the option of some community events here, but some of them seem pricey and both kids were way too sick to do anything last year so I'd like to have a back-up set of ideas of things to do at home.

candaceb
12-03-2011, 11:18 PM
MIL likes to do an evening of candlelight to mark the winter solstice. Probably not practical with a bunch of little kids around, but you could do dinner by candlelight.

JustMe
12-03-2011, 11:32 PM
We have some friends that celebrate winter solstice as their major winter holiday and invite us over. This is probably not what you are looking for but here's what they do. Every member of their family makes (as in crafts) gifts for every other family member as well as guests. Guests were invited to make something for everyone, some people, buy someting if they felt necessary, but its clear guests dont need to do anything. They usually have some kind of some treat like fondue dipping or something. My kids love going there and doing this.

pb&j
12-03-2011, 11:43 PM
The past couple of years we have just done a neighborhood lights tour. Almost every house has some kind of Xmas lights up, so we'll go for a long walk all bundled up after dinner to check them out.