PDA

View Full Version : Let it go?

marylovesbennyhill
12-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Last spring my DD had a playdate. She is 8 and, at this age, people do dropoff playdates in this area. Anyway, she came home and said, "Emmy and I went to the store and got gum". To get to said store,they had to cross a major street and apparently they did this without an adult.
I was angry, cooled off and then phoned the mother. I left a voicemail simply asking for a callback. Nothing. So I emailed her and was specific, asking if this was true. No response.
I see her from time to time. I have approached her because I am afraid that if I do, I will go off. Still, I want her to own up to what she did. Should I approach her at the next school event?

ha98ed14
12-04-2011, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't. I'd let it go. The fact that you emailed her about it and she failed to respond says to me that she is feeling embarrassed by her lack of judgement. I think that your email serves as chastise enough, NOT that you don't have the right to be pissed. IIWY, I would not let my DD go to that house again for a p-d, but would invite the friend to my house if DD asked to see her again.

Another way to look at it is to ask yourself what you hope to gain from talking to her. You said you want her to own up to what she did. Truly, some people are not able to own their mistakes, and I can see this being especially difficult to admit to the parent of a child's friend. People generally don't like feeling embarrassed, so I would be surprised if she doesn't avoid you at the next school function. It was a mistake on her part, but getting her to own it publically to you is probably more than you are going to get, especially if you don't have a friendship with her separate from the DCs' relationship.

crl
12-04-2011, 08:57 AM
I can't see what you could possibly have to gain by forcing a confrontation. It was months and months ago. I am sure you are never going to let her be responsible for your child again. So who cares if she "owns" it? What's the point? I would absolutely let it go.

Catherine

hillview
12-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Let it go and of course no more play dates. Sorry!