PDA

View Full Version : Rokenbok?

mommylamb
12-04-2011, 09:10 AM
I've been contemplating getting DS something from Rokenbok for Christmas as the Santa present. Anyone here have any experience? The reviews on Amazon are excellent.

Like, maybe this one: http://www.amazon.com/Rokenbok-04273-Dozer-Recycling-Center/dp/B00008XYQU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1323003985&sr=8-6

hillview
12-04-2011, 09:18 AM
We have a set from last Christmas. It was a hit for a few weeks and is very cool. It is BIG so you need space. It has been taken out only a few times since.
/hillary

zoestargrove
12-04-2011, 09:52 AM
We received a set for a gift a few years ago. My nephew had loads of this stuff and spent hours playing with it. His dad built him a table so he could keep it all displayed and play with it.

My kids enjoyed building and playing with it for a week and then lost interest. I disassembled it and put it in the basement and brought it out several months later another week. It just didn't have the lasting appeal at my house. For my boys, they prefer wooden blocks for building and using their hands to move their figures, cars etc. Remote control stuff just doesn't hold their interest.

Sorry, I know that didn't give you a clear answer.

SnuggleBuggles
12-04-2011, 10:01 AM
It doesn't get nearly enough play here. The kids would be happy enough with just the trucks, remotes and the smallest of sets.

Beth

KrisM
12-04-2011, 10:18 AM
DS1 has a few sets and really enjoys them. For Christmas, he's asked for hard wood floors in his room so he can use the whole room for them :).

He likes them because what he builds stays together well. He'd rather build and play than just build to build.

You should start with a start set, which includes the controller. Otherwise, the vehicles won't go. There are 2 versions of the Recycling Center - old and new. The old version requires a command center and has wired controllers. The new version is called Rokstar and is wireless.

You'll want a controller for each person, depending on how you are playing. One controller can do more than 1 vehicle.

I'd look on Craigslist for a better deal than that one on Amazon, too. Last year, I bought the monorail, recycling center, command center, 3 vehicles, chutes, train station for $150. All ours are the older style of controls.

Look here: http://www.rokenbok.com/estore and you can see the start sets come with a controller, which is what you are missing in the recycling center.

KrisM
12-04-2011, 05:14 PM
I want to add that at 4.5, he might not be able to build them himself. DS1 had a tough time at 6 and at 7.5 can now put them together most of the time and he can finally take them apart on his own, too.