PDA

View Full Version : Gift stump

kijip
12-04-2011, 12:09 PM
First year in awhile that I will be celebrating with my nephew. My nephew is almost 18, senior in high school and starting college next year here in Seattle. He is interested in history and political science as college majors. I am thinking of getting him a few books on those subjects and something more fun. Considering a flip type video camera as the more fun thing but am unsure.

His little brother (5) and sister (9) are each getting rollerblades, a game and some clothes from us. So I don't want to go overboard with him and have it be a lot more than his siblings. What would you get in this case? I can always do a giftcard I guess but I prefer to give a gift with a returnable gift receipt.

TwinFoxes
12-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I think the Flip camera (with gift receipt ;) ) is a great idea. When I was a senior in HS, I didn't really have time for reading history books outside of assignments, so I'd probably hold off on those (and I was/am interested in history, it was a time thing).

Liziz
12-04-2011, 01:07 PM
I think a flip-type video camera is a great idea! And as for the gift cards, when my little brothers were in high school (only a couple years ago), they *loved* gift cards to their favorite places to eat (Chipotle was the big one with them). In later high school they would often go grab something to eat with their friends, and since they didn't get money from parents, they always loved having those gift cards. I always thought it was boring to give them, but they were always one of the best-received gifts.

Melaine
12-04-2011, 01:17 PM
My brother is 22 years old and a Physics major, but he has really enjoyed his remote control helicopter. I think my dad found it for about $25.

mjs64
12-04-2011, 03:09 PM
I would skip the books and augment the camera with an iTunes gc.

kijip
12-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks! I like the idea of places to eat gift cards. I am certain he does not have any iDevice so not sure about iTunes gift card. He may have a different brand device though that he could use with iTunes. I will ask. I am likely getting him an iPod for his high school graduation so I don't want to do that now.

Apparently he also really needs clothing. What clothes are trendy for boys? Maybe an item like a shirt or hoodie from a store with a gift receipt and a gift card to shop for other stuff. What stores are popular? He strikes me as pretty mainstream trendy/jock as far as dressing.

He is a reader and I actually taught him to read/have traditionally given him books each year and he likes them so I am going to still do the books in some form. Tradition and all that. I have the Zinn Reader (a fave from my high school days) and a couple of political autobiographies, and think I will give him those.

buddyleebaby
12-04-2011, 05:00 PM
My brother has history and political science degrees...he would have loved history books at that age. Actually, he graduated college nearly ten years ago and *still* would love books. ;) They are spendy.

I think the gcs for places to eat is a great idea. If his younger siblings are getting board games, what about one for him? Like Apples to Apples?

MommyofAmaya
12-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Apparently he also really needs clothing. What clothes are trendy for boys? Maybe an item like a shirt or hoodie from a store with a gift receipt and a gift card to shop for other stuff. What stores are popular? He strikes me as pretty mainstream trendy/jock as far as dressing.

Vans? They might lean toward hipster but can really go either way. They are also practically timeless as far as teen fashion goes. My other guess is Hollister, but that might already be "so last year".

kijip
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Like Apples to Apples?

GREAT idea!

roobee
12-04-2011, 05:15 PM
I thought I read that fip cameras were being discontinued/no longer supported. My cell phone takes really good videos, so if he has a smartphone he might be set camera/video wise.

I think an e reader would be better than a flip and you can load it with the books you want to give.

Kindra178
12-04-2011, 05:21 PM
My brother has history and political science degrees...he would have loved history books at that age. Actually, he graduated college nearly ten years ago and *still* would love books. ;) They are spendy.

I think the gcs for places to eat is a great idea. If his younger siblings are getting board games, what about one for him? Like Apples to Apples?

This. I would have loved history books at that age and this age too!

Gift cards for food are great choices. Even a small gc from Target might be appreciated too. Itunes gc are a big hit with my nephews and nieces.

I don't think you can go wrong with hoodies from anywhere (Old Navy has plain cute striped ones now in men's sizes), thermal henley type shirts, or even a sherpa hoodie from LLB or LE (which works well in your weather). Me nephews pretty much wear Adidas type pants/hoodies or sweatshirts everywhere.

If he is not into electronics, I think you can skip the flip.

misshollygolightly
12-04-2011, 05:44 PM
I like the idea of ereader + history ebooks, if that's in your range.

erv917
12-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Do you know if he has a cell phone with video capability? If so, a Flip might be superfluous. Personally, I really like the e reader idea. Sounds perfect for a soon to be college student, and makes sense given that books are your "traditional" gift to him. Good luck!

secchick
12-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I like the e-reader idea.

As someone with History and Political Science degrees, my gift would be to advise him to minor in one or both fields, or at least to not take out debt for a degree. I was fortunate enough to graduate when "I can always go to law school" qualified as a plan.

TwinFoxes
12-04-2011, 09:43 PM
I like the e-reader idea too. Basic Kindles are $79.

Trendy shops for teens: Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle. (Most $$ to least).

hellokitty
12-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I like the e-reader idea too. Basic Kindles are $79.

Trendy shops for teens: Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle. (Most $$ to least).

:yeahthat:

kijip
12-04-2011, 10:04 PM
As someone with History and Political Science degrees, my gift would be to advise him to minor in one or both fields, or at least to not take out debt for a degree. I was fortunate enough to graduate when "I can always go to law school" qualified as a plan.

I agree. We will see what he does.

lhafer
12-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Well, my twin brother and sister are 18 this year, and senior in high school and my parents said they would LOVE LOVE LOVE gift cards!! So that's what they are getting. I just have to figure out what amount to get them, and if I'm getting them specific (like a place to eat) card, or generic amex/visa gift cards.

Although I do like the ereader idea given your history with him. Good choice there...a Basic Kindle would be great.

Trigglet
12-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Re the clothes option - I would say Abercrombie & Fitch, Urban Outfitters and Hollister are fairly mainstream, trendy places that would fit the bill. It's what my students (college sophomores and seniors) all seem to wear pretty much exclusively!

kijip
12-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Ok, Abercrombie is out because it is spendy. Which is trendier, AE or Hollister? Urban Outfitters seems a bit more urban hipster trendy than he is. More stuff like what my husband and his geek hipster friends would have worn. B is more preppy from all indications.

Can I just say I am creeped out by the Hollister, Anercrombie and AE websites?

kijip
12-11-2011, 10:35 PM
When in doubt, ask teenagers. We were at BN tonight using the $10 off coupon again (I am bad that way) and there were high schoolers wrapping gifts for a fundraiser. I stopped to have them wrap as I always do in BN because I feel sorry for the volunteers who have to sit there idle and it saves time and so I decided to pick their brains. The boy immediately said AE was the preferred thing around here and they all agreed that an iPod or Nook would be preferred to a video camera. My dad and brother and I have agreed to go splitsies on an iPod. We decided that we will all band together to get a Nook tablet or Kindle Fire for high school graduation so held off on the book reader. Thinking that an iPod nano or touch split three ways will be doable and more appreciated than each of us getting him a $40-60 item. I paid extra for the advice and told them they should have an ask a teen gift advice booth to go with the wrapping.

TwinFoxes
12-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I would do an iPod touch, not the Nano. All of my nieces and nephews want touches, every single one. None have mentioned a Nano.

kijip
12-11-2011, 11:49 PM
I would do an iPod touch, not the Nano. All of my nieces and nephews want touches, every single one. None have mentioned a Nano.

We will do a touch if we can find a good price. Scoping eBay and GameStop. Apple has none of the 4th gen refurbs in stock right now, just the 3rd gen 64gb. I think the 4th gen would be best by leaps and bound and I think 64gb is overkill anyways.

kijip
12-12-2011, 01:59 AM
I got it via our Amex points for $189 and the 20% off points thing they are running. My dad is chipping in $40 and my brother $50. So that worked out well.