PDA

View Full Version : 9mo baby not mobile (update #26)

♥ms.pacman♥
12-04-2011, 01:40 PM
DD will be 9 months old this week. She cannot crawl or scoot at all, or pull herself up in any way. Do you think this of concern at all? Her 9mo checkup is on Fri and I plan to mention it to the ped.

It's just so odd to me since DS was scooting at 6mos, crawling and cruising at 7mo, started walking at 10mo. i know girls/boys are usually different with this sort of thing, so i don't know. also, DD is over 1 month premature, but even still..most 7 or 8 month olds I know (even girls) are already pretty mobile...scooting if not crawling. DD can just roll over and that's it. She can sit up unassisted ONLY if we place her like that (she cannot get into a sitting position herself)...and even then sometimes she falls backward (bc she loses her balance) and then she SCREAMS her head off.

she seems pretty sensitive and is very much a drama-queen type, so not sure if that makes a difference. for example, i try to help her learn how to crawl or scoot by putting a toy in view, just out of her reach...but she just makes a few attempts to reach it and then screams and cries bloody murder. :( DS was not like this at all, it was the opposite..it was like he was on a mission to get into everything (especially things he wasn't supposed to, but that's a BP for another day!).

any thoughts are appreciated....

eta: i should also add, DD does not really babble either. i remember DS saying things like "agoo" or "dada" at that age (not really meaning anything, just repeating the sound)....DD does not do this at all. she squeals a ton and make some sounds, but does not "babble" if that makes any sense. in pretty much every aspect she seems several months behind what DS was doing at the same age.

arivecchi
12-04-2011, 01:46 PM
My ds2 was like this. Actually, he was not even sitting at 9 months. I would discuss with the ped and see what he/she thinks. I jumped the gun and did EI (which I ended up really disliking). The ped did not think EI was necessary though. He said lots of subsequent children have slower development because they are on the go with the older kids and do not get as much floor time. Not sure if that is the case for you, but it was for us. He improved a bit with EI, but IMO, what really made a difference was our awareness of the issue and devoting more time to his floor time, etc.

I think he was just slower developmentally and eventually caught up. He is now quite athletic for a 2 year old.

crl
12-04-2011, 01:47 PM
My kids have been all over gross motor skills for the most part, although ds was significantly delayed in other areas. I remember dd's ped asking if she could sit unassisted at her sixth month appointment so I am guessing 7 months adjusted age is a little behind, but not much.

I'd ask the ped and if I were still worried, I'd call for an evaulation by early intervention. The eval is free (cost of services varies by location and income).

Catherine

ETA. We had a really good experience with EI and I am so glad we got help for ds with his delays.

MSWR0319
12-04-2011, 01:49 PM
DS did not crawl until after he walked at 12 mo. I don't think he really pulled up until about 11 mo. He rolled a lot, but didn't really scoot or crawl or anything. I'd def mention it to ped, but would be too worried yet unless here's something else you are noticing.

ETA he was sitting by himself right on time

Multimama
12-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I think she sounds entirely within the normal range and it just seems weird to you because your DS was early with gross motor skills development. I wouldn't worry unless your ped does.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-04-2011, 01:55 PM
He said lots of subsequent children have slower development because they are on the go with the older kids and do not get as much floor time.

this is a really good point and i have been wondering about this. with DS, i spent SOO much time sitting down and interacting with him, reading books to him, trying to engage him to cruise, crawl, etc. Whereas DD gets a tiny, tiny fraction of that, because I'm usually so busy dealing with other things (DS, cleaning up after him, etc) as well. I feel like the only 1:1 time i spend with her is when i'm nursing her! It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. She actually doesn't seem too bothered by it though..she often seems content to just sit there in one place, which seems odd to me after having DS...

georgiegirl
12-04-2011, 02:14 PM
My niece just turned a year old last week. She sounds just like your dd. she started army crawling at 10 months, regular crawling at 11 months, and now at 12 months, she's cruising around and can pull herself up. I'm sure she will take off soon. My kids were early movers (ds crawled at 5 months, stood independently at 7 months and walked at 9.5 months), so my sist was getting concerned about her dd.

crl
12-04-2011, 02:44 PM
this is a really good point and i have been wondering about this. with DS, i spent SOO much time sitting down and interacting with him, reading books to him, trying to engage him to cruise, crawl, etc. Whereas DD gets a tiny, tiny fraction of that, because I'm usually so busy dealing with other things (DS, cleaning up after him, etc) as well. I feel like the only 1:1 time i spend with her is when i'm nursing her! It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. She actually doesn't seem too bothered by it though..she often seems content to just sit there in one place, which seems odd to me after having DS...

Hmm, and I've always heard younger siblings learn stuff earlier trying to keep up. dd walked at 10 months compared to the little girl down the street who is the oldest in her family who walked at 18 months.

I would be a little more concerned about the lack of babbling. I'd just mention these things to your ped and if you are still worried call EI (my ped wasn't worried about ds, but I was and am very glad I didn't wait and see like my ped suggested).

Catherine

twowhat?
12-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I vote totally normal. Neither of our girls (born full term) were scooting or crawling until well into their 10th month. They could both sit up if placed that way (but couldn't sit up from a lying-down position). DD1 could roll over both ways. DD2 could only roll over one direction. Pediatrician wasn't concerned at all. I don't remember any babbling with consonant sounds at that age - just "ah ah ah and eeeh eeeh eeeh" type of "babbling". Personality will play in here too - I think both of our girls just weren't MOTIVATED to get/roll ANYWHERE. I had friends whose babies were rolling to get to where they wanted to go. Ours were happy to just sit there and cry to get us to bring them stuff (much to my chagrin - I was happy beyond belief when they started crawling! I mean, I was SO HAPPY! And things actually got easier for me for the first few weeks when they started crawling because that was a phase where they didn't cry as much as usual. LOL).

eta: and yeah, your DS was crazy early in terms of all those milestones.

Simon
12-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I think your Ds just sounds crazy early so I think you'll need to re-set your expectations and not compare them.

My Ds2 has had actual developmental delays so I spent *a lot* of time looking for good sources of appropriate developmental milestones and I think these are the most useful tools for gauging development. You do need to adjust her age until 2yo to be using the correct forms. Here is the link to the one for your Dd. As you read it, note that these are not things she should have already mastered, but represent her current developmental activities and some are advanced skills.
http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/groups/public/documents/afms/ctb_138520.pdf

Here is the one that ends at 7 months, for comparison.
http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/groups/public/documents/afms/ctb_138533.pdf

You can google "Ages and Stages Questionaire [insert Dc's age here]" and find the rest of them. I think they go all the way up through age 4 or 5.

If she isn't sitting at all (not even with leaning) or reaching for toys, then I think you could be concerned about low muscle tone. But nothing you say would really worry me. She sounds totally within the range of normal.

Green22
12-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I think it seems normal, but agree with the others- ask your ped, and ask about having someone come out and eval. (Where I live it is almost always free, no matter your $ situation)

My friend's baby seemed to be on the slower end of doing this stuff as well . . .she waited until she was about 14 months before calling the county's evaluators, when her Ped said that they needed to. Turns out the baby had loose joints. She's done a bunch of little exercises with her and within 2-3 months was doing the exact same thing as "developmentally fast" kids!

Either way DD will be just fine!

swissair81
12-04-2011, 03:30 PM
My son sat at 10 months and never really crawled. He did this dysfunctional 1 armed/1 legged scooch that worried me to no end. I got PT for him for 1 month before my insurance decided that the local school district should take care of it for free (they didn't). I somehow managed to figure it out myself. He walked at 16 months (within the range of normal) and didn't climb stairs until 22 months (or walk down until 24 months). He's all over the place now. To make things more nerve wracking for me- my older (and now younger) girls all have fantastic motor skills.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I vote totally normal. Neither of our girls (born full term) were scooting or crawling until well into their 10th month. They could both sit up if placed that way (but couldn't sit up from a lying-down position). DD1 could roll over both ways. DD2 could only roll over one direction. Pediatrician wasn't concerned at all. I don't remember any babbling with consonant sounds at that age - just "ah ah ah and eeeh eeeh eeeh" type of "babbling". Personality will play in here too - I think both of our girls just weren't MOTIVATED to get/roll ANYWHERE. I had friends whose babies were rolling to get to where they wanted to go. Ours were happy to just sit there and cry to get us to bring them stuff (much to my chagrin - I was happy beyond belief when they started crawling! I mean, I was SO HAPPY! And things actually got easier for me for the first few weeks when they started crawling because that was a phase where they didn't cry as much as usual. LOL).

eta: and yeah, your DS was crazy early in terms of all those milestones.

this is exactly how my DD "babbles"..LOTS of squealing, and "ee ee ah ee" sounds (no consonants). and yeah, doesn't seem motivated to move around much at all..perfect happy to scream until mommy gets her something. :)

i think i too will be so happy when DD can actually crawl somewhere to get something. Right now she doesn't try very hard...and when she does try she just puts her hands in front and wiggles her feet, but her feet go up and she seems stuck doing that "swimming" thing like in Pilates..doesn't get that she has to keep her feet on the ground.

cntrymoon2
12-05-2011, 05:00 AM
My DD was another one who never babbled. She just didn't make a lot of consonant sounds, not too many sounds at all. Couldn't say baba or dada...took her ages to finally say mama. We did a lot of ASL with her and she had a language boom in sign first around 15-18 months, then a verbal boom betwee 19-22 months.

lizzywednesday
12-05-2011, 08:45 AM
It's not just a boy/girl difference - it's a different kids are different thing.

It sounds like she's doing just fine with her other mobility/stability milestones, but I really wouldn't worry.

Also, it's different - you can't just leave her by herself on the floor as you've got your DS running all over the place as well!

(FWIW, my younger nephew was about a month premature as well and, though he's perfectly capable of taking a few steps here and there, and he's got the desire to walk, at 14 months, he's still content to crawl & cruise, though he can take a couple unassisted steps here and there when he's not paying attention to himself. My brother Ger was actually the same way!)

weech
12-05-2011, 09:33 AM
DS did not crawl until he was about 16 months. He walked at 12 months. He couldn't stand up on his own (from a sitting position) until around 15 months. He seldom rolled over and never scooted. He was totally immobile until 12 months and if we weren't there to stand him up, he was still stuck.

We got him evaluated and the evaluators thought we were CRAZY. They said it's perfectly normal for him to develop that way and was not "behind" at all. He just learned different things at a different pace. If you're worried, definitely talk to your ped... but don't stress. Everyone does things at their own pace!

eta - our Ped freaked out and made us get blood tests for muscle weakness and casually mentioned that he could have one of many degenerative diseases. TOTALLY alarmist.

gatorsmom
12-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Greenbean was like that. He couldn't sit up at 9months. At his well baby check the ped said she thought he had low muscle tone. We had him tested and he qualified for PT. After 6 months of that, we was not only sitting up but he was crawling. He walked not long after.

I definitely think it's worth talking to the ped about.

catsnkid
12-05-2011, 11:30 AM
I think kids are just different. I have seen it with the other kids at DCP. One friend was very slow to crawl- she must have been 10 months, but she was speaking very well early and Pt'd at 18 months. A very bright little girl. Her younger twin sisters are now 11 months all over the place and very squirmy!

Another friend didn't really walk until 18 months- he is doing fine now, he is almost 2. He was slow to crawl as well.

I would still mention to ped, that is what those visits are for! I was worried about Ds's speech for awhile, but now I am not at all!!

brittone2
12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
DS did not crawl until he was about 16 months. He walked at 12 months. He couldn't stand up on his own (from a sitting position) until around 15 months. He seldom rolled over and never scooted. He was totally immobile until 12 months and if we weren't there to stand him up, he was still stuck.

We got him evaluated and the evaluators thought we were CRAZY. They said it's perfectly normal for him to develop that way and was not "behind" at all. He just learned different things at a different pace. If you're worried, definitely talk to your ped... but don't stress. Everyone does things at their own pace!

eta - our Ped freaked out and made us get blood tests for muscle weakness and casually mentioned that he could have one of many degenerative diseases. TOTALLY alarmist.
While I'm glad things worked out well for your DS, the problem is that what you observed *can* for *some children* be a marker of bigger concerns. That's the issue with anyone trying to say "do or don't worry about XYZ" without seeing the child first hand. Without observing the child first hand, it is really impossible to know what things look like. A therapist doing the eval can often see *why* there's a delay-low tone? Weakness? Something neurological suspected?What's the birth history like? Apgars? etc. Those are things a therapist will look at among many other things. If it was as simple as checking things off a checklist, anyone could do the job. It can be totally fine for a kid to skip crawling, but it can also be a sign *in some cases* of a greater problem. People will say "crawling isn't a necessary milestone" and really, it technically isn't. But there will be kids who don't crawl because they have an issue (ranging from things like low muscle tone to something more significant like nerve damage or cerebral palsy), and the "not crawling" is maybe the first big clue of a specific issue. So while crawling doesn't have to be a milestone, a professional is going to look at more than checking it off a check sheet or not. You have to look at it in the context of other things. The birth history, prematurity, family history, history of hitting/not hitting other milestones, strength, muscle tone, range of motion, etc. etc. are all things that might influence whether a delay in hitting a specific milestone is more concerning or less concerning. Those "flags" are something that often *can be* worth getting checked out. It doesn't mean they are alwys a problem, but they may signify the first clue that there is a greater issue at play. Many times the kid goes on to develop typically, but the problem is some kids will not develop typically at that point. In order to catch *those* kids, it is helpful to get a more thorough evaluation. That's the nature of EI. You have to kind of cast a wide net to catch the kids that really *do* benefit from therapy and might not get there on their own. To catch those cases, you end up seeing *some* kids who might have gotten there on their own and just had a little bit of quirky or atypical development.

Some of these developmental issues are not a problem for the long haul, but when we see a red flag developmentally, it really is something that we like to keep an eye on. Just because it isn't a problem for *every* kid doesn't mean it isn't a problem for lots of other kids, unfortunately.

Some kids develop a little asynchronously-they may reach milestones in an usual order, etc. For many kids that can be typical, but for some kids it *can* be a sign of something atypical. One or two milestones being "off" may not be a problem, but when we see mulitiple milestones that are not being reached on time or out of the typical order, it can *sometimes* signify there is a problem. For that reason I don't think the ped was being alarmist but I wasn't there. ETA: it would be nice if we could just look at a kid and just know. Unfortunately, certain developmental flags and concerns are all we have to go by. Sometimes they end up being nothing, but that's what we use to catch the cases that *are* something.

To the OP, not crawling at 9 months in and of itself is not a problem for most kids. However, when it comes to these questions I always encourage people to look at the child's overall development. Is it *just* the crawling? Probably not a concern unless you are worried about something else. A baby not crawling at 9 months but not sittting or rolling would be more of a concern.

Not making babbling sounds is something that I'd keep an eye on (especially if there's any history of ear infections, etc.) but at 9 months it probably wouldn't be enough to qualify. Againl, could be totally within the range of normal, but you have to look at the big picture. If there's a history of ear infections, it *could* be one of the first signs that the child would benefit from a more thorough look.

I hate being vague but that's why I tend to err on the side of recommending talking to the ped or scheduling an eval. it is really impossible to know without seeing the *full* picture. Lots of kids don't crawl at all and that can be 100% normal, but there will always be kids for which that was a flag that there was something else going on. OP, your situation doesn't sound terribly concerning but you can talk to your ped and go from there.

I find these questions difficult because one kid not crawling at 12 months can be totally normal, and for other kids it *can* be a concern (for example, some kids just don't really crawl, whereas another baby might not be crawling due to some sort of arm weakness that *does* signal an issue).

Nothing you describe sounds very alarming to me OP. (eta: just reread and saw she was over a month premature. EI would adjust for that up til the time she turns 2, so even less of a concern most likely. Of course, you should talk to your ped and follow your own instincts. If you have other concerns you could certainly request an eval but nothing you mentioned seems like a big deal. I'd probably keep an eye on the variety of sounds/babbling and talk with the ped about that but at her age I would doubt she'd qualify on that concern alone. Of course, without doing an eval no one can say for sure, which is why you should follow up with your M.D.

Fairy
12-05-2011, 11:50 AM
There is a range of normal for most things, and it sounds like DD is behind the curve but still in range. If I were in your position, I'd engage EI, anyway.

weech
12-05-2011, 12:17 PM
While I'm glad things worked out well for your DS, the problem is that what you observed *can* for *some children* be a marker of bigger concerns. That's the issue with anyone trying to say "do or don't worry about XYZ" without seeing the child first hand. Without observing the child first hand, it is really impossible to know what things look like. A therapist doing the eval can often see *why* there's a delay-low tone? Weakness? Something neurological suspected?What's the birth history like? Apgars? etc. Those are things a therapist will look at among many other things. If it was as simple as checking things off a checklist, anyone could do the job. It can be totally fine for a kid to skip crawling, but it can also be a sign *in some cases* of a greater problem. People will say "crawling isn't a necessary milestone" and really, it technically isn't. But there will be kids who don't crawl because they have an issue (ranging from things like low muscle tone to something more significant like nerve damage or cerebral palsy), and the "not crawling" is maybe the first big clue of a specific issue. So while crawling doesn't have to be a milestone, a professional is going to look at more than checking it off a check sheet or not. You have to look at it in the context of other things. The birth history, prematurity, family history, history of hitting/not hitting other milestones, strength, muscle tone, range of motion, etc. etc. are all things that might influence whether a delay in hitting a specific milestone is more concerning or less concerning. Those "flags" are something that often *can be* worth getting checked out. It doesn't mean they are alwys a problem, but they may signify the first clue that there is a greater issue at play. Many times the kid goes on to develop typically, but the problem is some kids will not develop typically at that point. In order to catch *those* kids, it is helpful to get a more thorough evaluation. That's the nature of EI. You have to kind of cast a wide net to catch the kids that really *do* benefit from therapy and might not get there on their own. To catch those cases, you end up seeing *some* kids who might have gotten there on their own and just had a little bit of quirky or atypical development.

Yes... and that's why I talked to my ped, got my DS evaluated and recommended the same for the OP. I just wanted to share my story so she knew that 1) it's not ALWAYS a sign for concern (because I was very scared) and 2) that my ped was IMHO very alarmist so if she encountered that situation she did not necessarily have to lose sleep for a week waiting on test results that could amount to nothing. I was not trying to diagnose her DD - only trying to share my personal experience in a similar situation.

brittone2
12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Yes... and that's why I talked to my ped, got my DS evaluated and recommended the same for the OP. I just wanted to share my story so she knew that 1) it's not ALWAYS a sign for concern (because I was very scared) and 2) that my ped was IMHO very alarmist so if she encountered that situation she did not necessarily have to lose sleep for a week waiting on test results that could amount to nothing. I was not trying to diagnose her DD - only trying to share my personal experience in a similar situation.
Sorry Weech. I was trying to just expand into why this is such a difficult topic. No one wants to be alarmist, but on the flip side I sometimes see people here (not you specifically) make sweeping comments to the effect of "well crawling isn't a milestone." That's why I wanted to take some time to discuss why not crawling might or might not signify a bigger deal for some kids, for example. It is one of those things that is so tough to discuss over the web since the milestones in and of themselves are just one part of a puzzle, and a professional is going to look at those pieces differently than a non professional. That's why it isn't just a checklist, but rather the context of the milestones that is really important.

I didn't mean to make you feel singled out. My apologies. It is just that whenever these topics come up you'll see people say "my kid didn't do x, y, or z and went on to be totally normal developmentally" and then other people who had the experience of one or two red flags being the tip of the iceberg for their child.

weech
12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Sorry Weech. I was trying to just expand into why this is such a difficult topic. No one wants to be alarmist, but on the flip side I sometimes see people here (not you specifically) make sweeping comments to the effect of "well crawling isn't a milestone." That's why I wanted to take some time to discuss why not crawling might or might not signify a bigger deal for some kids, for example. It is one of those things that is so tough to discuss over the web since the milestones in and of themselves are just one part of a puzzle, and a professional is going to look at those pieces differently than a non professional. That's why it isn't just a checklist, but rather the context of the milestones that is really important.

I didn't mean to make you feel singled out. My apologies. It is just that whenever these topics come up you'll see people say "my kid didn't do x, y, or z and went on to be totally normal developmentally" and then other people who had the experience of one or two red flags being the tip of the iceberg for their child.

No biggie! We all appreciate your expertise :)

AnnieW625
12-05-2011, 01:51 PM
I noticed with dd2 that she did things at a slower pace too. She didn't start crawling until she was almost 10 months old. She didn't walk until she was 17 mos. old. I enrolled her in Gymboree classes at 6 mos. old because she couldn't roll over or sit up. A few months later it helped her wih the crawling. I figured if I did the Gymboree then I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of getting a rec to pt or worrying about getting an EI, plus Gymboree worked better with our schedule. I figured that WCS if Gymboree didn't work then I'd talk to the ped., but I wanted to do something on my own first.

In regards to the speech you might want to have her ears checked because all dd1 did at that age was laugh and I just thought she'd eventually talk and there was nothing to worry about, but I really think her issues with her ears started well before her string of ear infections that went from 20 to 24 months and therefore she was behind on her speech. I have also heard that 2nd children often speak later. Baby Signs by Linda Acredolo was sort of a bust wih my kids (alhough dd2 does it better and more consistently than dd1 ever did), but in some kids signing helps accelerate language.

s7714
12-05-2011, 01:58 PM
My DS is 8 months and not even sitting up unassisted for more than a couple seconds. He refuses to tripod. I imagine he won't be crawling or scooting by 9 months at the rate he's going but of course they can always be suprising. He's a very laid back little baby. Our Ped was concerned that he's not sitting up on his own and told us to work on it so we can determine if it's just lack of interest or a physical issue. We've been working on it and I can see bit of improvement so I'm not that concerned. Both my other kids were late sitters/crawlers/walkers as well.

I agree with PPs to discuss it with your Ped and see if he/she thinks there's a physical issue or not.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-11-2011, 12:32 AM
thank you everyone for all the advice, very helpful!!

DD had her 9month appointment yesterday. There was a questionnaire to fill out. In the gross motor section, i answered "no, not yet" to almost all the questions..does baby pull up to standing holding on to stomething...does your baby stand while holding onto something without leaning stomach onto something, while standing holding on to something does your baby bend down to pick up a toy and get back up without help, etc". Also in the verbal communication part, DD didn't do most things..not lots of consonant babbling, no repeating sounds back after I say them, etc. So the ped said that because she was weak in two areas he recommended EI and gave me the info for the state program. I called, but no one answered and left a message.

after getting home from the ped visit and putting DD to bed, DH and I were search places to get EI, and looking into possibly doing private therapy (since from some local message boards, it takes TWO MONTHS to get your first appointment...and actually i had tried calling EI eval in the past when she was 4 mos, left message but no one ever called us back, and I gave up). Then DD woke up early from her nap, babbling "mama mama mama mama!!"..more than she had ever babbled before (of course! :)). The next day (today), she started trying to scoot around on her stomach, but could only go backwards. She does seem to be *trying* to crawl, she just doesn't seem to be able to, and gets frustrated VERY easily.

So, while she does seem to be making a little progress I will try to get an EI eval from somewhere to at least learn some exercises to help her. DD does really seem slow to get a lot of things, which does kind of worry me. She stayed longer in the NICU than any other late-preterm baby I know (even most 32 weekers I know only stayed 2 weeks or less...she was 35 weeks and stayed more than 3 weeks, due to her having trouble learning to feed and taking a long time to outgrow apnea/brady episodes).

lalasmama
12-11-2011, 12:59 AM
after getting home from the ped visit and putting DD to bed, DH and I were search places to get EI, and looking into possibly doing private therapy (since from some local message boards, it takes TWO MONTHS to get your first appointment...and actually i had tried calling EI eval in the past when she was 4 mos, left message but no one ever called us back, and I gave up). Then DD woke up early from her nap, babbling "mama mama mama mama!!"..more than she had ever babbled before (of course! :)). The next day (today), she started trying to scoot around on her stomach, but could only go backwards. She does seem to be *trying* to crawl, she just doesn't seem to be able to, and gets frustrated VERY easily.

I had to laugh at the above (bolded) comments. DNiece was a late bloomer. In fact, she was barely sitting unassisted at a year old, didn't crawl until 14 months old. At her 15 month visit, the doctor said he wanted to see her back in a month to follow up on her development, and that he'd likely be sending her to PT.

She started walking 3 days before that appointment to recheck on her development. Little stinker ;) Apparently the daycare lady stood DN up next to something to hold on to expecting her to cruise, and DN let go, and walked clear across to the other side of the room, in heavy shoes, like she'd been doing it for ages. Really, we shouldn't have been surprised. She didn't ever do the wobbly sitting. When she learned to crawl, we were changing her diaper, she flipped over, and took off like she'd known to all along. And, now, at 9yo, she's still that way. She learned to ride her bike without training wheels, in about 10 minutes on her own. She had training wheels for ages, begged for them to come off, and ignored her bike for a month. I left my house one day to go visit Sis and DN, and at the time I was leaving, DN still ignored her bike, and when I got there, she was riding without training wheels and talking about how fun it is. She's always at the "almost late" stage, but then "eeks" in right before we actually do something about it.

As much as I hate it, I just have to remember that "someone" has to be at the other end of spectrum. So, for every kid walking at 10 months, there's a kid that didn't walk until 14-15 months. Just happens that my DN isn't on the early side of things :) DD is similar--she's usually right after the "expected" range: she sat at 7 months instead of 6; crawled at 10 months instead of 9; walked at 13 months instead of 12...

It sounds like EI would be a good thing to check on by all means. I know they made me feel a lot better about DD's development when they came to our house and observed her!

Fairy
12-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the update! Great that there is progress! But I'm very glad u r getting EI involved. Hope they get back w/you soon. If not keep after them.

crl
12-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Glad to hear of progress on all fronts. I think an EI evaluation would be a good thing to either get started getting help if needed or to reassure you if not.

Catherine

fumofu
12-11-2011, 02:28 AM
DS just started crawling at 9 months. He could not sit up on his own until about a week before he started crawling. He was not babbling random words til much later, and is finally babbling syllables/words at 16 months.

It is something I would bring up with the pediatrician at the next checkup, but nothing I would worry about.

crayonblue
12-11-2011, 02:34 AM
It is just that whenever these topics come up you'll see people say "my kid didn't do x, y, or z and went on to be totally normal developmentally" and then other people who had the experience of one or two red flags being the tip of the iceberg for their child.

Exactly. I try not to comment on any of those threads because I had the tip of the iceberg experience. I don't think a ped ordering genetic testing for degenerative neurological conditions is alarmist in the least. But, who wants to hear that from me?!

OP, I would look into an evaluation and go from there. Try not to worry!