PDA

View Full Version : Blood in 3m old diaper

infocrazy
12-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Posting for my BFF, but her just turned three month old had streaky, mucousy blood in her diaper a few times last weekend. She took her to the ped who thought maybe it was a dairy reaction since she is EBF. There have been no signs whatsoever of this before. DD is a very easy, low maintenance baby who rarely cries and is growing well.

For the next five days, DD's diapers were fine, although at times still runny than normal. However, the blood returned for three diapers this weekend.

I hesitate to even throw this in there, but DD did get her first dose of Rotateq the day before the first diaper. They tested her for Rotavirus and she was negative.

Any ideas what this could be? BFF said other than the diapers, you'd never know there was anything wrong. The first weekend, DD WAS pretty fussy which is VERY unusual, but she has been her easy going self ever since.

BFF is committed to nursing but is struggling to find dairy free to eat. Any recommendations for that too greatly appreciated.

DrSally
12-04-2011, 03:38 PM
My first guess would be dairy. It can be fine and then one day cause a problem. I was dairy free for 2 years bfing DS. It's a lot easier when you just eliminated "obvious" dairy, like cheese, milk, etc., and not necessarily dairy that is low down on the list of a processed food (like cookies).

JBaxter
12-04-2011, 03:43 PM
I would try doing infant probiotics if you REMOTELY think the vaccine could have irritated her bowels. Most health food stores carry them in their refrige section ( powdered form )

It wont hurt. That wold be my first suggestion. If you do a 2nd does and it happens again your will know.

twowhat?
12-04-2011, 04:07 PM
My ped wasn't concerned with occasional bloody streaks in the diaper (which my DD1 had)...he even called it "idiopathic breastmilk intolerance" or something like that and said it wasn't anything to worry about if it was occasional. I was convinced it was dairy since she was so fussy and cut out all milk/milk proteins for 2 weeks - no change! Still the occasional mucousy bloody streak. She eventually grew out of it within a matter of months and in hindsight I don't think anything was truly wrong.

If it's just occasional and she's acting fine, I probably wouldn't worry.

MamaMolly
12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Blood and mucous in Lula's diaper at 2 months was our first indication of her dairy allergy. It is hard at first to go dairy free when breast feeding, but it can be done. Even though it feels like it will last for ever, in reality it is over soon enough. I recommend going to www.kidswithfoodallergies.com or .org(I can never remember!) for advice and support for going dairy free. There is a LOT of hidden dairy in so many foods, but with knowledge and practice it gets easier. FWIW Lula weaned after 16 months. :)

Dr C
12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Agree with PP that it could be milk intolerance although I agree that's a little more dubious in a 3 month old (as opposed to 1-2 month old), happy (as opposed to colicky) baby. But still possible.

The other obvious thing it could be is an anal fissure (a little cut in the skin either outside or just inside the anus). Your friend may be able to see a little cut if she really looks hard--it's helpful to have two people do this--one spreads the cheeks, and the other holds a flashlight and looks. If she sees a little cut or abrasion, that's the most likely diagnosis--and it should heal up on its own.

sunnyside
12-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Blood and mucous in Lula's diaper at 2 months was our first indication of her dairy allergy. It is hard at first to go dairy free when breast feeding, but it can be done. Even though it feels like it will last for ever, in reality it is over soon enough. I recommend going to www.kidswithfoodallergies.com or .org(I can never remember!) for advice and support for going dairy free. There is a LOT of hidden dairy in so many foods, but with knowledge and practice it gets easier. FWIW Lula weaned after 16 months. :)

This exactly except for us it showed up at 4 months. Chlöe was sensitive to soy as well. For us this also coincided with one of the doctor visits where we did get the shots and the oral vaccine. I wondered if they were related. Chlöe outgrew it at about 9 months and is fine now. She also never was colicky AT all, ate and slept fine, grew normally and had no other issues. Crawled at 7 months walked at 11 months. Happy as a clam. Even when she was having the bloody stool she was cheerful as ever. We were told to go to the ER, so we did and Chlöe promptly charmed the socks off of everyone there. Certainly did not look sick at all.

She also had a bit of eczema which we believed to be related.