PDA

View Full Version : What the heck do I get for 8 y/o DD? Help!

sandybean
12-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Hi:
My DD is a smart and creative 8 year old...she wants pretty much everything she sees a commercial for, which we all know is likely to be junk :rotflmao:

Sooo...what are your ideas? She loves dolls (we have a ton, including her American Girl doll), crafts, to read...but is always up for anything-- I feel like she's in a little bit of a rut and would love some help!

Thank you SO MUCH!

mariza
12-05-2011, 12:36 AM
DD is going to be seven in January so a bit younger, but things she has asked for are:
Art Set
Puppets/Puppet Theater
Fijit (grrr.....)
Lite Brite (the new cube one looks awesome, but gets mixed reviews)
Magnatiles

Last year my Dad got her this Vtech keyboard toy http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3546246 it still gets constantly played with by both DC's and all their friends :)

kijip
12-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Here are my ideas:

AG accessories? More of the books?
Camera
Painting set
Sewing set- T loves this.
Stone Soup Magazine Subscription

sandybean
12-05-2011, 09:28 AM
LOL @ Fijit thing...that the heck is it anyway? It's like a new age Furbie (remember those). My DD would like one I am sure...but boy are they expensive.

I like the idea of a sewing kit...what kind?

Twoboos
12-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Fijit (grrr.....)

:yeahthat: Seriously, they had a ton at Target the week before Thanksgiving. Now they are not to be found! ANd I'm supposed to get them from MIL. And I have decided they are annoying.

DD1 is getting American Girl stuff (Matching girl/doll PJ's, pet carrier, probably something else), big Barbie sized dollhouse (combo gift w/DD2), electric toothbrushes, snowfamily making kit, Lego Headlamps, probably the Target-AG Laundry set (combo gift w/DD2). Maybe a Lego creation book.

lizzywednesday
12-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Last year, we bought our eldest niece things in a "science" theme because that's what she told us she was into last year:

* 3D Solar System Kit
* A Child's Introduction to the Night Sky (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157912366X/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details)
* Here Comes Science CD (http://www.amazon.com/Here-Comes-Science-Might-Giants/dp/B002FKZ4UO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323091776&sr=8-1)

This year will be more difficult; she hasn't asked for anything except a puppy, which she is not getting.

Puddy73
12-05-2011, 09:32 AM
DD1 (8) just received a little "make your own bear" kit from Build a Bear that she really liked. It includes supplies to sew, stuff and style a little bear.

She and her friends also like those friendship bracelet kits.

lmintzer
12-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Does she like board game? Catalogs like MindWare have THE BEST "brainy" toys and games. We have a lot like this, and my kids love them.

One of my top recs is the game Blokus. Super easy to learn but to play it well--takes a while to perfect your strategy. Another great one like this (easy to learn, harder to play well) is Qwirkle.

Rush Hour is fun if she hasn't tried it yet, and it's nice because it's a single player game.

For creative/artistic toys, how about an Oragami book and paper? Or a simple kids' mosaic tile project set?

If she is into games, let me know--we have many other favorites around here.

JustMe
12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
My 8 yr old dd asked for a guitar as her main present this year.

Canna
12-05-2011, 12:30 PM
DD will also be 7 in January. She is getting:

- Hearts for Hearts doll and extra clothes set (her main request)
- Magnet set
- Smurfs Mega Blocks set (Lego compatible size)
- Tangram-type game
- Charm for Charm-It bracelet
- Wooden puzzle type game
- Human Body model science kit
- Crayons that you "sharpen" by peeling off part of the paper wrapped around the outside
- Shirt

ETA: If you are looking for a big gift, I might recommend this - it was a gift from DD's grandmother last year and is a very nice functional sewing machine that is really cute. Janome makes the same machine in a non-HelloKitty version as well. (You can see it get great reviews.) http://www.target.com/p/Hello-Kitty-Sewing-Machine-Green-11706/-/A-10094055

Fairy
12-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Do we have our annual gift ideas by age threads up? They're soooo helpful. They used to be in Around the House. I think? Will try to find.

ETA --> Here ya go. It's a bit of a path, but well-organized and worth the clicking.
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=325433

sandybean
12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
ETA: If you are looking for a big gift, I might recommend this - it was a gift from DD's grandmother last year and is a very nice functional sewing machine that is really cute. Janome makes the same machine in a non-HelloKitty version as well. (You can see it get great reviews.) http://www.target.com/p/Hello-Kitty-Sewing-Machine-Green-11706/-/A-10094055

Ooh, I saw one of those at Costco...your little girl likes it?

And yes-- we love games!

Canna
12-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Ooh, I saw one of those at Costco...your little girl likes it?
!

She loves it and is able to use it - though she does need some help and supervision. I highly recommend getting one like this that is a real sewing machine by a reputable sewing machine manufacturer. (You can generally find entry level machines for around $100 at Sears, Walmart, Target, etc.)

You see a lot of machines like this pink one that say they really sew but they are very difficult to work with and IMO not worth paying any money for. A friend bought one of these toy ones for around $50 for her son and I tried to help them figure out how to make it work but it was just not good quality and a lot more difficult to use (ironically) than a real sewing machine. So avoid things like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Kitty-Chainstitch-Sewing-Machine/dp/B001E8ZXGI

sandybean
12-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks! I think the cheapie one is the one I saw. I am definitely looking for her big gift and smaller stuff, so this is perfect. :) Maybe I can get her some fabric remnants at JoAnn or something. What about patterns? Does your DD use those?

Canna
12-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks! I think the cheapie one is the one I saw. I am definitely looking for her big gift and smaller stuff, so this is perfect. :) Maybe I can get her some fabric remnants at JoAnn or something. What about patterns? Does your DD use those?

So far she has not used patterns. She has done some work making bookmarks of her own design out of felt. (Felt is nice because it doesn't fray and doesn't stretch.) Then we made a skirt together which I improvised (it turned out great) out of a yard of fabric, straight side seams, elastic waist, and simple hem. Recently she wanted to make a scarf so we bought some fleece and coordinating flannel at JoAnns. She sewed it all herself and cut and tied fringes in the fleece at the ends herself.

Simon
12-05-2011, 03:35 PM
How about knitting or crocheting supplies: give her the needles and let her pick out some yarn.

If you go with the sewing theme, I would get her a pattern or two (maybe for a simple bag or purse?) then let her pick out the fabric. Or else you could help her get started on something like a quilting sampler to just practice different stictches.

Corie
12-05-2011, 09:52 PM
- Crayons that you "sharpen" by peeling off part of the paper wrapped around the outside

I had a bunch of these crayons when I was younger. I always
called them "China Markers".

Canna
12-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I had a bunch of these crayons when I was younger. I always
called them "China Markers".

Yeah! Thanks! That's the word for them. The ones I bought are like these, which I found at our local toy store: they have little jokes, etc. on them that you unravel:

http://mamalaide.com/2011/08/25/wax-pencils-message-unravels/

brittone2
12-05-2011, 10:21 PM
I forget if it is AC Moore or Michaels, but one or both has a nice selection of AG themed crafts, stickers, etc. They have some craft kits that essentially create a toy to use with the AG dolls. I recently saw stickers with the different historical dolls on them too (maybe a stocking stuffer?)

Nook or Kindle? My DS1 has a Nook simple touch and it has been great for him. He also enjoys his regular (non kid) camera and has had it for about 2 years. He'll be 8 a few weeks after Christmas.

sandybean
12-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Love the idea of the eReader. I have a Nook color that she loves...the cheaper touch screen one might be nice.