PDA

View Full Version : Is it going to look very bad

swissair81
12-05-2011, 12:23 AM
if I don't have recommendations from either of my nurse managers when I apply to grad school? I just discovered that both of them were fired this year. I have plenty of doctors and professors who will be willing to recommend me, but I'm not sure if that's enough. I could ask my former preceptors, but neither of them have a Masters in nursing, and I'm not sure they would be acceptable.

wellyes
12-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Fired discredited or fired laid off? I'd still ask for a recommendation if they are in good professional standing.

swissair81
12-05-2011, 12:33 AM
One was forced to leave because she is completely incompetent (and as such, I don't want a recommendation from her anyway), and the other was fired after 38 years of service because a new company bought the hospital and they felt like firing her. I'd like her recommendation- assuming I can find her.

Trigglet
12-05-2011, 12:56 AM
the other was fired after 38 years of service because a new company bought the hospital and they felt like firing her. I'd like her recommendation- assuming I can find her.

Geez, the true face of 'at-will' employment. How depressing. I hope you can find her, and that she's found some other employment.

wellyes
12-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Not sure if your profession does Linked In - but I personally have been amazed at the number of old colleagues I've found there years and years later. Might be worth a shot.

kozachka
12-05-2011, 01:26 AM
I would not get the recommendation from the first manager, but would really try to get one from the second. If for whatever reason you can't, even after all the effort, I'd enclose the explanation in the section "What else you want to tell the grad school".