PDA

View Full Version : Penzey's spices

jgenie
12-05-2011, 05:35 AM
I just found a local Penzey's and would like to pick up some stocking stuffers but was overwhelmed with the choices. What do you recommend? I'm a new cook but would like to get a few things for myself and my mom. TIA

GvilleGirl
12-05-2011, 05:49 AM
We love Penzeys! Do you want it more for baking or cooking? The one we use the most is probably Herbes de Provence. Fox Point is amazing on potatoes. I have been meaning to order both Chili 3000 and their Taco seasoning are both really good. We also use a lot of southwest and pork chop seasoning. I love their vanilla sugar on fruit. My girlfriend loves the apple pie spice if you are into baking.

lkarp
12-05-2011, 06:51 AM
I mostly use the single spices and herbs. I love their blend of cinnamon for baking and the greek seasoning for cooking. My FiL really likes Mural of Flavor. You can do a combined gift of holiday baking spices: whole nutmeg, whole cinnamon sticks, cloves, star anise and a microplane zester for grating the nutmeg. Nothing beats fresh grated nutmeg on top of eggnog!

macassi
12-05-2011, 08:22 AM
We adore the fajita seasoning.

I really like Sandwich sprinkle -- it's especially good with mozzarella and tomato.

Their 4/S seasoned salt is great too. I usually use it whenever I cook plain veggies -- especially good on green beans.

zoestargrove
12-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I mostly buy single herbs, but I love their chili powder blends. Their cinnamon is amazing too.

Corie
12-05-2011, 09:40 AM
We only order from Penzey's spices!! LOVE their stuff!!

Love their Cinnamon!

*Pork Chop Seasoning
*Chicago Steak Seasoning
*Sandwich Sprinkle
*Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Base
*Taco Seasoning
*Cinnamon/Sugar Mix
*Beef Roast Seasoning
*Northwood Seasoning

You can't go wrong with any of their products!!!

gibas23
12-05-2011, 09:48 AM
i just stocked up on our local penzeys, these are our must haves:

vanilla bean pod (slice in half and put it in a jar of sugar, let it sit for a couple of days, tada..instant vanilla sugar)
ozarck fried chicken
chicago steak
smoked sweet paprika
chopped roasted onion
sandwich sprinkle (so good, it really jazzes up any savory sandwiches)

gift boxes:
kind boxes for our neighbors (so cute and only $8)
teacher boxes for DD teachers (also only $8, reg $18)

wellyes
12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm jealous. LOVE Penzeys, we spend tons there. Personal favorites are their bold taco, sate, maharaja, and garam masala (fresher than the Indian stores, if you don't grind your own), cinammon, vanilla. DH buys tons of meat rubs there, rogan josh,northwoods, BBQ3000, turkish, galena street. Great gift boxes too.

candaceb
12-05-2011, 10:45 AM
It won't work for the holidays, but you should sign up for their catalog - there are usually coupons on the front cover good for things like a free jar of whatever blend they're featuring - and even though they have an expiration date, they will take them long after they've officially expired.

Our favorites:
- for tacos, we like to use half bold and half original taco seasoning. I'll never buy the old el paso junk again.

- brady street cheese sprinkle - fabulous on popcorn and an easy way to jazz up steamed veggies

- pasta sprinkle - I got it free with one of their coupons and now I use it all the time - on veggies, pasta, eggs, etc.

- as mentioned above, their single spices are better than you can get anywhere else. I won't use any other cinnamon - I like either their blend or else korintje.

- for the holidays, they have a "Be Kind" gift box for about $9 that is a great deal. I got one free with a coupon and I'm debating whether to gift it or keep it for myself.

- if you bake, their dutch cocoa is great and very reasonably priced.

LD92599
12-05-2011, 11:06 AM
We've been in the store i'm guessing is local to you! It's a great store and my DS immediately gravitates to the kids coloring area :-)

I've been happy with everything so far and bought the small jars of lots of different things - garlic, chili seasoning, all seasoning (salt free?) great over sliced cucumbers!, cinnamon, nutmeg etc.

blisstwins
12-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Sunny Paris is AMAZING on roasted potatoes and in omlettes.

pomegranate
12-05-2011, 12:19 PM
We get their peppercorns and cinnamon. Lots of variety.

boolady
12-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Galena Street Rub (recommended for ribs and chicken but also great on pork tenderloin)
English Prime Rib Rub
Taco Seasoning
4S Smoky Seasoned Salt
Sandwich Sprinkle (this is really DH's exclusive domain...I don't use it)
Apple Pie Spice (use in french toast, pancakes, waffles, in addition to baking with it)
Bay Leaves (great bay leaves)
Regular Chili Powder
Penzeys Cinnamon (the blend)
Crushed Red Pepper
Smoked Spanish Paprika
Pasta Sprinkle (salt-free; DD loves on pasta with a bit of butter or olive oil and some parmesan or romano cheese)
Kosher salt

Here's the thing. I have been very pleased with their regular spices, but I don't only get them from there. If I run out of something and need it, there are a few grocery store brands I'm okay with. Once or twice a year, I'll order some of our favorite blends that you can't get anywhere else, and get whatever regular spices/herbs we need at that time. If we had a store close by, I'm sure I'd use their stuff almost exclusively- I think the quality's really good.

Uno-Mom
12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Everything!
We don't do many pre-blended mixes unless it's a free coupon.

For perfect gifts, what about some peppercorn varieties or vanilla? Their vanilla is a great value. Or, a combo of cinnamon, alspice, cloves, etc for cidar? You can buy small quantities and mix pre-gift, or just give separated.