PDA

View Full Version : Help! Lizard mark on dining room wall! What do I do?!

overcome
12-05-2011, 09:13 AM
DD had a sticky (as in stick to the wall) rubbery lizard toy. She stuck it to the painted wall in the dining room. When DH took it off, there was a discoloration in the shape of a lizard :-( we tried magic eraser. Didnt work.

I'm thinking I need to put something on there that will absorb the oil (or whatever the substance may be). A baking soda paste? Any ideas?

:-(

Corie
12-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Yep, we had a lizard imprint on the ceiling in our den at our
house in Rhode Island. We never did anything to it. The mark
is probably still there. We just didn't look up!

ahisma
12-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Hmm...where is it? I'd hang a painting and call it a day:)

When you paint eventually that wall you may want to use some Kilz to prevent it from bleeding through. I'm not sure exactly what the substance is, but if it's oily it could bleed through the next coat of paint. You can pick up a spray can and just spray that spot before you paint.

Meatball Mommie
12-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Yep, we had a lizard imprint on the ceiling in our den at our
house in Rhode Island. We never did anything to it. The mark
is probably still there. We just didn't look up!

We have one too. I'll have to check if the red mark is still there - I haven't looked up at the ceiling in a while ;)

fortato
12-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Yeah... we have sticky frog marks on our playroom ceiling.

It just sort of belongs there at this point.

elizabethkott
12-05-2011, 11:13 AM
We had "slime dog" in college. Someone flung him up at the ceiling, and he stuck. We decided to leave him up there to see how long it would take him to fall down. He never did. However, over time a large stain appeared on the ceiling around Slime Dog... when we left for the semester, we got him down but we weren't able to remove his ring.
:bag:

overcome
12-05-2011, 11:14 AM
No, no, nooooooooo I have to get rid of it....it is in a prominent place yet not in a place a picture could go. Ugh. I'll google it. If I find anything, I'll post.

Sigh.

It is sort of funny that I'm not the only one this has happened to. If it were in playroom/basement, dd room, laundry room, etc. I wouldn't mind...but the dining room...:-(

Fairy
12-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I wish I could post something that would actually help you get it off, but if it happened to me, I'd be right here with ya. When those damn lizards come home, I disappear them as soon as I possibly can. They're god-awful.

Windex?

So, did you google? What did you find?

overcome
12-05-2011, 12:03 PM
I googled, but did not find much...except to never leave those sticky toys on a surface for any amount of time. Ha.

Somewhere suggested a paste of cornstarch and water to soak up the oils. I am going to try baking soda paste. It suggested leave it on for a few hours and then wipe off. I'll let you know how it works. Fingers crossed.

3isEnough
12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Two years ago for Halloween I saw this really cute thing Martha Stewart did - she put those Halloween-themed gel things on the risers of stairs leading up to the second floor. I did it and it looked really cute. Until I removed them and the stains stayed there. We still have ghost and moon-shaped black marks on all our stair risers. I also tried a magic eraser to no avail.

Fairy
12-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Two years ago for Halloween I saw this really cute thing Martha Stewart did - she put those Halloween-themed gel things on the risers of stairs leading up to the second floor. I did it and it looked really cute. Until I removed them and the stains stayed there. We still have ghost and moon-shaped black marks on all our stair risers. I also tried a magic eraser to no avail.

I noticed that the window cling gummies stain very very badly. Luckily, I noticed this before it got on anthing important, which is why I only put them on WINDOWS. But if I hadn't noticed the staining, I'd've put them on a wall, I'm sure. I hate those things. All those gummy things that stick to stuff are just a menace.

jenstring95
12-06-2011, 01:02 AM
I just wanted to say, when I first read the title of your thread I was picturing an entirely different lizard mark! You know, the kind with guts. (Although that kind would probably be easier to get rid of. :rolleyes:) Sorry, I don't have any advice! I guess you don't have any touch up paint?

Fairy
12-06-2011, 02:00 AM
I just wanted to say, when I first read the title of your thread I was picturing an entirely different lizard mark! You know, the kind with guts. (Although that kind would probably be easier to get rid of. :rolleyes:) Sorry, I don't have any advice! I guess you don't have any touch up paint?

My head went to the same place. I wondered if she had a lizard that somehow got ... gooey ... ick.

dkpl
01-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Did it work with the baking soda? Same problem! tired magic eraser, and tried comet, no luck. thanks!

twowhat?
01-01-2012, 11:00 PM
We have a gingerbread man on our dining table. UGH. Those greasy window clings are evil. We're just going to live with it.

But in your case if it really bothers you, I would use a flat head screwdriver to chip off a piece of non-oil-stained paint close to the lizard, take it to HD, and ask them to make up a quart of that color. Then prime and paint over it and feel smug that you have a quart of touch-up paint for any future incidents:)

Mommy_Again
01-01-2012, 11:23 PM
I have one better - or worse, actually. My son left a lizard next to his seat in the car (third row of my SUV). I put the seat down to get more room in the cargo area without realizing it...so now I have not one but TWO lizard marks on the leather seats of my new (less than one year old) Buick Enclave. Can't wait to try to re-sell...

daisymommy
01-02-2012, 10:26 AM
:hysterical: We have on our ceiling a "sticky hand" "sticky brain" and "sticky lizard" mark! And as of now all "stickies" are banned in this house!

american_mama
01-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Wouldn't some kind of degreaser or adhesive remover work? Goo Gone, Simple Green, etc?

twowhat?
01-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Wouldn't some kind of degreaser or adhesive remover work? Goo Gone, Simple Green, etc?

I think the problem is that the greasy residue soaks in
Blech.

overcome
01-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Well, my baking soda paste didn't work. It is not really noticeable, unless you are looking for it. Sigh. Now I know!

She got some silly putty for Christmas. It will disappear, never to be found, believe me! That is another potentially aggravating home wrecker.