PDA

View Full Version : Gift Help for MIL?

Twoboos
12-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Looking for ideas of MIL. Usually SIL has some ideas for her but we've got nothing this year!

She does lots of sewing/knitting/crafting/quilting/making AG stuff for DDs. We got her a Michael's gift cert for her bday in August. She has a cricut and cartridges.

She is very "proper." She irons her sheets and her jeans. She lives alone and everything is just as she likes it. Her house is meticulous. She kind of gets frazzled when she is here b/c ours is not. ;) She has an iPad and a Kindle. She has a wealthy long-term boyfriend who has typically gotten her every last thing she wants/needs.

Last year we went in w/SIL & BIL and got her a Judith Jack bracelet from Nordsrtom.

I was thinking a cashmere sweater b/c 1) who doesn't love cashmere! and 2) Lands End might end up with another great coupon like the 40% off from a few days ago and I could get a great deal.

Any thoughts?? And where is that thread with all the ideas? :)

gamma
12-05-2011, 11:47 AM
It sounds like she has all the "stuff" she wants. How about a gift basket set up for a day with the grandkids. Maybe the zoo, children's museum, show, followed by a nice family dinner. In the basket, put the tickets, maybe the menu to the restaurant, postcard of activities for the day. You could take lots of great photos and follow up with a photobook so she will have great memories of the day.

curiousgeorge
12-05-2011, 01:07 PM
I love PP's idea of a day with grand kids followed up with a photo book. I was going to suggest doing a photo book of the kids or a DVD of kids pics set to music. Enjoyable but won't clutter up her house.

Or, if possible, could you and SIL go in on a joint gift of a photographer? Give her a gift of a photo sitting with the grand kids for a nice picture. Depending on photographer's prices you could include a nice album of prints, print on canvas, etc.

Twoboos
12-05-2011, 01:23 PM
I love PP's idea of a day with grand kids followed up with a photo book. I was going to suggest doing a photo book of the kids or a DVD of kids pics set to music. Enjoyable but won't clutter up her house.

Or, if possible, could you and SIL go in on a joint gift of a photographer? Give her a gift of a photo sitting with the grand kids for a nice picture. Depending on photographer's prices you could include a nice album of prints, print on canvas, etc.

These are great ideas but MIL is the Queen of Scrapbooking, so my lame attempt at a photo book wouldn't go over well. And we did a photo shoot with her and SIL's family last summer for MIL's bday.

See why I'm stuck?! ;) I wonder what activity we could do that she would find acceptable. She is having pretty bad knee problems right now so a lot of walking is out. Hmmmm...

curiousgeorge
12-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Is there anywhere you can get her a membership to? Art museum, etc. Or is there a class you could sign her up for, i.e. at a local community college or a university extension class?

What about something nice and personalized like a PSA address stamp or notecards?

hillview
12-05-2011, 01:41 PM
I agree with pp a nice event with your kids might be nice (if she enjoys that sort of time). How about a nice dinner for her and BF? Does she enjoy a spa day or getting her nails done or a massage? What about working out (new workout clothes or maybe tennis lessons or something like that?).

hellokitty
12-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I agree with the spa idea or gc for a class she may enjoy.

Twoboos
12-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all the ideas!! After some looking I think we're each going to get her a charm for her charm bracelet. SIL had 2 boys, so she'll get a boy and we have 2 girls so will go with the girl. Unless we decide to just get the red heart.

http://www.bluenile.com/jewelry/charms/classic-charms

And yes, I was looking on all the sites taking part in the AmEx gift chain!! :D

Mommy Of A Little Angel
12-05-2011, 01:47 PM
There is a $25 coupon for Blue Nile floating around! I am on my phone now but I can post it when I get home.

BabyBearsMom
12-05-2011, 01:52 PM
We give my MIL a shutterfly calendar every year with pictures of the grand kids. DD always gives her a piece of her "art work" from school. This year, DH and I are getting MIL a necklace that has the names of all of the grandkids (and the upcoming addition) stamped on it.

zag95
12-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Spa treatment
Scrapbooking supplies/cases/organizers
Scrapbook or craft magazine (if she has a favorite?)
A case to go around one of her electronic devices (Kindle or Ipad) maybe with her initials
Charms for her bracelet you gave her!
Gift card for meal out- that's a treat!
How about something that comes monthly- like wine or flowers?
Gorgeous crystal frame for grandkid photo (like a Waterford one)
A trip to attend a special crafter's conference (like a special quilt show or area where quilting is really big)???

GL!