PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Grinder recommendation

dddhokie
12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I know it's weird, but I swear I saw a post on here about a pepper grinder that was supposed to be awesome. Would love to get a really nice one for DH for Christmas. Does anyone recall that or have one they love?

I totally could have made this up or dreamt it too- i seem to do that a lot anymore :)

Fairy
12-05-2011, 11:24 AM
I can't help you with the post you're looking for, but I'll tell you this, every pepper mill I've ever bought has eventually started to suck. Now, I haven't invested in anything restaurant-quality, so my experience is limited, here, but I've tried just about everythng from, say, a Bed, Bath & Beyond. Cheap you've seen it on TV ones, expensive lucite ones, and a few in between. But I want fresh milled pepper!!! So, what I found is at Trader Joe's they have a ton of spices in mills alrewady. They're not beautiful, but they'll do, and yes, you throw them away when you're done, but they've never failed me. Just a thought.

candaceb
12-05-2011, 11:28 AM
I think the Unicorn Magnum is the best "bang for the buck". It's a great grinder and not too $$$

http://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-Magnum-Peppermill-6-Inch/dp/B0006GSR76/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323098836&sr=8-2

lkarp
12-05-2011, 11:39 AM
I have a Perfex pepper mill . It is larger than the one shown on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfex-4-1-2-Inch-Pepper-Mill/dp/B002OOVBEO/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323099288&sr=1-2

I was able to get it on clearance at Williams-Sonoma a few years ago for about $50. I love how easy it is to fill and it's pretty easy to adjust the coarseness of the grind. I like my pepper to be ground fairly coarse, so not sure how it does for a fine grind.

mytwosons
12-05-2011, 11:42 AM
The one from Penzey's isn't super spendy and has always worked great for me.

mmommy
12-05-2011, 01:13 PM
I can't help you with the post you're looking for, but I'll tell you this, every pepper mill I've ever bought has eventually started to suck. Now, I haven't invested in anything restaurant-quality, so my experience is limited, here, but I've tried just about everythng from, say, a Bed, Bath & Beyond. Cheap you've seen it on TV ones, expensive lucite ones, and a few in between. But I want fresh milled pepper!!! So, what I found is at Trader Joe's they have a ton of spices in mills alrewady. They're not beautiful, but they'll do, and yes, you throw them away when you're done, but they've never failed me. Just a thought.

:yeahthat: but you can refill the TJs ones! We refill ours about 5x (until the blades dull) before replacing.

dddhokie
12-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks ladies! Very helpful. I may go for the Unicorn magnum since it's not too too much and hope it lasts. It has great reviews. I love a coarse grind too.

nupe
12-05-2011, 01:31 PM
William Bounds
We've been using it 9 years and it's still going strong.
Like this one but without the "window"

http://www.wmboundsltd.com/shopexd.asp?id=70654

It is ceramic, so even when you use it directly over a steamy pot, it doesn't rust anything.

hellokitty
12-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Ditto this! Grocery and warehouse clubs have these built in mills too. That's all I get now. All my regulars suck or broke eventually.

smiles33
12-05-2011, 01:43 PM
We have the Perfex and Peugeot, and have used cheaper disposable models like the plastic ones like the one-handed Chef N Pepper one that looks like a sideways stapler (since been tossed). We use the Peugeot one every day as the Perfex one is too uncomfortable to grind. I'm curious about the Unicorn one. FYI, I bought ours on eBay so didn't pay retail.

katerinasmom
12-05-2011, 01:53 PM
I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one who continues to search for the perfect pepper mill. My boyfriend makes fun of me because in the last two years along, I have purchased 4 different salt and pepper mills. The one I just got is a battery operated set that I picked up from Costco for $30. So far I love it. I hope it doesn't die on me.

s7714
12-05-2011, 02:15 PM
William Bounds
We've been using it 9 years and it's still going strong.
Like this one but without the "window"

http://www.wmboundsltd.com/shopexd.asp?id=70654

It is ceramic, so even when you use it directly over a steamy pot, it doesn't rust anything.

We have a William Bounds pepper mill and salt mill too, but wood ones. We've had them for about 15 years now and they still work perfectly. I know they sell a wide price range though so I'm not sure if the cheaper ones are lower quality. Ours were about $60 each when we bought them.

dddhokie
12-05-2011, 02:29 PM
wow! i didn't know there was such a pepper grinder passion! Love this. it's like the perfect pair of jeans, it's just so elusive.

marie
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I think the Unicorn Magnum is the best "bang for the buck". It's a great grinder and not too $$$

http://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-Magnum-Peppermill-6-Inch/dp/B0006GSR76/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323098836&sr=8-2

We've been using this one for *years* - at least a decade. It still grinds really well, and I love the large opening for refilling. Is it the most gorgeous thing on my counter? no. Is it functional and long-lasting? yup.

HTH!

Smillow
12-05-2011, 04:23 PM
PSA re: Costco pepper & grinder!
The past few disposable pepper grinders that we have purchased at Costco have failed very early on - resulting in a dish with lots of whole peppercorns scattered over it! The first one I thought was a fluke & DH threw away before I could return it. The second one is ready to return now.

georgiegirl
12-05-2011, 04:49 PM
PSA re: Costco pepper & grinder!
The past few disposable pepper grinders that we have purchased at Costco have failed very early on - resulting in a dish with lots of whole peppercorns scattered over it! The first one I thought was a fluke & DH threw away before I could return it. The second one is ready to return now.

I've never had a problem with them. We are on our second and no problem. I love their salt grinders too.

Smillow
12-05-2011, 05:00 PM
I've never had a problem with them. We are on our second and no problem. I love their salt grinders too.

I never have either, until these last 2 - we have been using them for years (5+)!

mikala
12-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Smitten Kitchen recs the Peugot or Vic Firth ones, #3 here.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/12/build-your-own-smitten-kitchen/

I haven't purchased either yet but may need to add one to my wishlist...

karstmama
12-05-2011, 06:41 PM
unicorn magnum. if anyone cares, it's a 'chef's illustrated' pick. (i love ci.)

Trigglet
12-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Hands down - Peugeot. We have the Le Creuset branded one that's made by Peugeot, so it's in all the LC colours, but otherwise exactly the same as Peugeot's own branded version. Perfect in every way. :love5: