PDA

View Full Version : Pinterest - Settings Facebook & Names

wimama
12-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I just signed up for Pinterest. I was wondering what settings you had on there.
Do you use your real name? Or a different username?

Do you link it to Facebook or Twitter?

I am not sure I want all my Facebook friends seeing all my pins. I can just see people being like "What do you kids need with those expensive magnet blocks (Magnatiles) or that expensive Barclay blocks. My kids had X to play with...............". Or "You spent how much on all your kids Christmas List? Boy your kids are spoiled"

While I think it would be fun to see what my friends pin, I am not so sure I want everyone to see what I am pinning. YKWIM? If I don't link my account to Facebook in the Pinterest settings and I use a user name, is it really safe to post it in a public forum, like this one?

ellies mom
12-05-2011, 01:12 PM
I use my real name. If we are friends on Facebook and you join Pinterest, it will suggest my name but I don't post what I pin on FB. I don't really care if people see what I pin.

m448
12-05-2011, 01:17 PM
I used my first name and immediately unlinked it from facebook. I was okay with my pins being public (obviously only option) but I wasn't wanting my friends/family keeping tabs on me LOL.

Melaine
12-05-2011, 01:21 PM
I think I am still linked to facebook, but I don't think it shares stuff with people unless you follow each other. They can find you to follow you via facebook....that's my understanding at least.

lhafer
12-05-2011, 02:24 PM
I just signed up for Pinterest. I was wondering what settings you had on there.
Do you use your real name? Or a different username?

Do you link it to Facebook or Twitter?

I am not sure I want all my Facebook friends seeing all my pins. I can just see people being like "What do you kids need with those expensive magnet blocks (Magnatiles) or that expensive Barclay blocks. My kids had X to play with...............". Or "You spent how much on all your kids Christmas List? Boy your kids are spoiled"

While I think it would be fun to see what my friends pin, I am not so sure I want everyone to see what I am pinning. YKWIM? If I don't link my account to Facebook in the Pinterest settings and I use a user name, is it really safe to post it in a public forum, like this one?

Just because you pin something, doesn't mean you own it/need it/want it. It generally just means you like it. Period. At least that's how it is for me! I pin everything from cute saying to tattoos I like. I have places I want to visit, Holiday ideas, craft ideas, favorite recipes, etc. I have over 700 pins on my boards. I don't care what other people see me pin to my board. Actually I like it because it then usually lets me see what similar stuff other people are pinning, and I have gotten most of my pins from other boards instead of random websites.

I link to my FB account, but that's so I can log in easily. I'm lazy like that.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-06-2011, 05:13 PM
i just joined pinterest and i am wondering this too. i signed in via Facebook, picked a username, put in an email address and put my real name in. then i guess it automatically had me follow people on Facebook in my friends list, which i was kinda of surprised. i also got emails saying that such and such (facebook friend) is now following you). i was kind of shocked that they noticed it right away, but i guess its' automatic??

also, i really want to change my username! it says to do this you go to your profile, but i don't see where to do this?? it has a place to change your email address, and to remove/change first and last name, but i do not see how you change your username!! anybody know???

lhafer
12-06-2011, 05:37 PM
i just joined pinterest and i am wondering this too. i signed in via Facebook, picked a username, put in an email address and put my real name in. then i guess it automatically had me follow people on Facebook in my friends list, which i was kinda of surprised. i also got emails saying that such and such (facebook friend) is now following you). i was kind of shocked that they noticed it right away, but i guess its' automatic??

also, i really want to change my username! it says to do this you go to your profile, but i don't see where to do this?? it has a place to change your email address, and to remove/change first and last name, but i do not see how you change your username!! anybody know???

The first and last name sections is your user name.

First Name: Ms.
Last Name: Pacman

♥ms.pacman♥
12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
The first and last name sections is your user name.

First Name: Ms.
Last Name: Pacman

i'm confused though.

i thought the username was in the url, and what is in parentheses. eg http://pinterest.com/USERNAME

so now it is displayed as for example, Jane Smith (USERNAME).

i want to change USERNAME. i know i can change "Jane" and "Smith" to be something else,so it says something other than my real name, but it is still listed as USERNAME in parantheses

i unlinked Facebook, but it still won't let me change it. I'm confused. I am about to delete it and start over....

lhafer
12-06-2011, 05:47 PM
i'm confused though.

i thought the username was in the url, and what is in parentheses. eg http://pinterest.com/USERNAME

so now it is displayed as for example, Jane Smith (USERNAME).

i want to change USERNAME. i know i can change "Jane" and "Smith" to be something else,so it says something other than my real name, but it is still listed as USERNAME in parantheses

i unlinked Facebook, but it still won't let me change it. I'm confused. I am about to delete it and start over....

Oh, I see what you are saying. I'm not sure. My username is different as well, and it shows up like what you are talking about...but my user name never actually shows up anywhere but in the url. Not when I pin stuff, etc.

Pinterest Help says:

How to change your username
When you're signed onto Pinterest, click your username at the top-right toolbar, then click Edit Profile. Type a new username and then click Save Profile at the bottom of the page.

This is basically what I suggested you do...but it doesn't change the URL part. If you just joined, it might be easier for you to delete and rejoin. I have over 700 pins on my boards...there's no way I'm starting over at this point! haha

♥ms.pacman♥
12-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Oh, I see what you are saying. I'm not sure. My username is different as well, and it shows up like what you are talking about...but my user name never actually shows up anywhere but in the url. Not when I pin stuff, etc.

Pinterest Help says:

How to change your username
When you're signed onto Pinterest, click your username at the top-right toolbar, then click Edit Profile. Type a new username and then click Save Profile at the bottom of the page.

This is basically what I suggested you do...but it doesn't change the URL part. If you just joined, it might be easier for you to delete and rejoin. I have over 700 pins on my boards...there's no way I'm starting over at this point! haha
yeah, i just joined so i wouldn't mind deleting it and starting over. i may just do that... i see no way to change the username

eta: i just deleted my account. i tried re-registering using a link from the invitation but it says my invitation was used already so i have to request another invitation and wait for that. ugh. so lame! this whole pinterest username/realname etc is so confusing!!

wencit
12-06-2011, 06:11 PM
It used to have a section where you can change your username (because I did it once), but for whatever reason, it's no longer there. I would just start over.

When I first signed up, I linked through my Facebook account, but I immediately de-linked it. I'm not interested in seeing what my friends are pinning and vice versa. If I'm truly curious, I can always link FB and Pinterest at any time, but truth be told, I kinda don't want my IRL friends to know that I'm getting almost all my brilliant ideas from Pinterest. :ROTFLMAO: I only use my first name and changed my avatar to something generic, so I feel better that I'm anonymous on Pinterest, too.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-06-2011, 06:16 PM
It used to have a section where you can change your username (because I did it once), but for whatever reason, it's no longer there. I would just start over.

When I first signed up, I linked through my Facebook account, but I immediately de-linked it. I'm not interested in seeing what my friends are pinning and vice versa. If I'm truly curious, I can always link FB and Pinterest at any time, but truth be told, I kinda don't want my IRL friends to know that I'm getting almost all my brilliant ideas from Pinterest. :ROTFLMAO: I only use my first name and changed my avatar to something generic, so I feel better that I'm anonymous on Pinterest, too.

LOL i think this is exactly how i feel about it! hopefully i can get another invite, pick a good username and i think i'll delink it from FB as well.

Reader
12-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I have wanted to be on pinterest but couldn't figure out if it could be separate from my Facebook account. Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
12-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Can I join pinterest with an invitation from a friend if I have no Facebook or twitter accounts?

wimama
12-07-2011, 07:10 PM
LOL i think this is exactly how i feel about it! hopefully i can get another invite, pick a good username and i think i'll delink it from FB as well.

Can I join pinterest with an invitation from a friend if I have no Facebook or twitter accounts?

I think I can send you both an invite if you want one. Just PM me your email addresses.

My URL does indeed show my user name. I have set my name to my first name only and don't have them linked to my Facebook account. I would rather pin away freely and not worry about what my friends/family will think.

lcarlson90
12-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Can someone send me an invite to join. I tried to register at least a month ago and so far I still have not received an invitation.

WatchingThemGrow
12-07-2011, 08:49 PM
I think I can send you both an invite if you want one. Just PM me your email addresses.

Thank you for the kind offer, but a friend sent me one. It only gave me the choice of joining through FB or Twitter. I finally used DH's old twitter acct. Can I unlink it now?