PDA

View Full Version : Around the world - in desperate search of ideas

FTMLuc
12-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Please throw some ideas my way. We are doing a Secret Santa swap with my sister's new family, I got her MIL (love the lady, BTW). The theme is "Around the World" with $40 limit. Other then putting together a specific cuisine basket, I am at a loss for ideas. She loves food, but does not cook much, loves to read and movies and is well-traveled.

Any books based in or about specific parts of the world that anyone can recommend? I can maybe then combine it with food items specific to that area.

Anything more creative then a book/food?

TIA

misshollygolightly
12-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Is there a place local to her that offers cooking lessons? Several places near me do, and they usually have themed classes (like, Mediterranean or Indian or whatever). Would she enjoy something like that?

How about a "movie night" basket with a favorite foreign foodie film and accompanying foods? How about Babette's Feast w/ some nice French foods and wine? Or Monsoon Wedding w/ some Indian foods and spices (or a gift cert. for take out)?

Does she own a nice travel journal or passport cover? If she travels a lot, those things can be fun.

Does she have any upcoming trips planned? Could you put together a little package of travel essentials (sleep mask, lotion, hand sanitizer, bright luggage tags, foreign language phrase book, etc.) that would be specific to an upcoming trip?

ETA: One more thought. Does she enjoy watching foodie travel shows like Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" or something like that? You could maybe get her one of those kinds of DVDs and some food items to go along with it. (Not sure if you or she has seen Bourdain's show...he's a bit crass sometimes, so you might pick a different show if you haven't seen it or don't think she'd like it.)

echoesofspring
12-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I think TJ has a chocolate collection called "Around the world", if I remember correctly it was 10 or so chocolate bars from different regions. It was really colorful, I bought it last year and I think I saw it there recently. I'm sure other chocolate makers do similar things, or you could something with coffee/wines/etc.

Maybe something (or multiple things) from a store like this one (there are others, though I'm blanking on their names) http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/

AlbrightRC
12-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I was about to recommend ten thousand villages but I see someone beat me to it.

nmosur
12-05-2011, 04:43 PM
How about a shawl or purse from another country. A shawl from India would be neat and you could add a necklace and bangle bracelets - World Cost Plus has great stuff. Or a embroidered purse from Mexico. Something made out of wool from Australia. A set of masks from Africa etc etc. Pier One should have a bunch of stuff too.