PDA

View Full Version : part time nanny tipping and vaca time compensation?

echoesofspring
12-05-2011, 02:37 PM
We have a wonderful young woman who has been working part time (about 15 hrs a week) for us since beginning of Oct. There's no contract, but a fairly reg. schedule, when we enlisted her I told her I would guarantee her x number of hours a month, and that we could be fairly flex, i.e. she took off all of Tgiving week, so I offered that if she wanted to come extra days before she could (the idea being that I would get ahead on my work - it didn't quite work out like that, but that's my fault, not hers)

So we've just made plans for a long trip over Xmas and the beginning of Jan. (probably about 2. 5 weeks). What's the right thing to do for the time we're gone. Just pay her for the weeks we're gone? Try to stick to the x hours per month w/longer weeks the end of the month and pay her for the week b/tween xmas and new years? I want to keep her happy and I know I would probably have to pay if DS was in daycare. She's new to the area so I don't think she would be getting other work while I was gone, although I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her. I think she's also pretty new to working as a nanny for someone who isn't a good friend or family, so I don't think she knows what to ask for from me. I want to do what's right, but obviously don't want to throw $ away, or set up unrealistic expectations for any future employers she might have.

Also, what would you tip her, given that she had only worked for you for 3 months? Would you tip her if you were giving her a check for 2 weeks paid vacation? I have a little gift for her from DS, $25 or so. TIA

JBaxter
12-05-2011, 02:51 PM
If you really like her and she works for ( and with) your family I'd probably pay her for the generally scheduled hours your gone with the small gift.

Maybe you could say... Since its the holiday we wanted to go a head an pay you for the hours you would have worked even though we will be gone.

hillview
12-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I'd see if she can move her hours to meet your schedule while still making her "whole" in terms of her montly payment. I'd give her a week or a month of payment for christmas bonus.