PDA

View Full Version : Sedan vs minivan vs suv???

lmr1101
12-05-2011, 04:06 PM
What are looking to replace my husband's ford explorer. He does the daycare drop off/pick up so this would be the car with car seats.

We have 2 kids. The oldest is almost 3 and ff. She will be in her Frist Years True Fit for years since she is now only 26lbs.
My younger dd is alomst 3 months old in a graco snugride.

We would like to keep the car under $35,000 and plan to keep this for at least 5-7 years. He is totally open to driving a mini van if that will fit the car seats best. He is also used to having the big explorer and likes the cargo space. I would love a larger sedan since my husband has to drive a lot for work and it would save us on gas prices, however since this would be the family car he thinks we should get a 7 passenger minivan or suv so we have room for kids and friends... thinking long term.

My biggest concern is to find something that will fit my older dds car seat and also a second convertible seat, when my younger dd is ready for the switch.

Where should we start our search???

nfceagles
12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
If you're open to a minivan, I get that some people are not, then definitely go with it. They are the best, most convenient, most comfortable vehicles. I doubt gas mileage is much different between a large sedan and a minivan. I LOVE my minivan and will never drive another vehicle with kids unless they install sliding doors on something else. I can't imagine making sure kids don't open their doors into nearby cars. I only have two kids so a I rarely use the third row seats. I typically leave them folded away into the floor, giving me a humongous space for cargo, especially groceries, strollers, suitcases.

Simon
12-05-2011, 04:41 PM
We have a sedan (Camry hybrid) and an SUV (Honda Pilot). In the past we've had minivans (Toyota) and wagons too.

The Camry is and will be our family car. Love the mileage with a longer commute. We have had no trouble fitting two large carseats in there (Evenflo Triumph Advance--it is WIDE) along with an infant seat or Britax Roundabout. Also no trouble once Ds1 switched to a booster or taking 3 kids in the back. We can even fit an adult in there with 2 car seats; though it isn't the most comfortable, we did some 2+hour drives that way (2 kids, 3 adults).

We got the Pilot because we're now expecting Ds#3, but I didn't want a dedicated 3rd row like in a minivan. We can fit 3 car seats across the Pilot and Camry, so a dedicated 3rd row felt like a waste and the longer body of the minivan means reaching farther back to get to the kid(s) in the 3rd row. Still, we needed enough seats for extra kids and adults and enough storage for transporting stuff like bookcases and dressers, which we seem to do a lot, and for longer trips (we drive 10+ hours 4-6x/yr). I liked driving the minivan and it had a ton of storage space, but it was more than we needed for 2 young kids and moving that back row bench in/out was a real PITA.

With only 2 kids and at those ages, I wouldn't be looking at a minivan yet.

crl
12-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I would seriously consider a minivan. We really wanted 4wheel or AWD and did not want a Toyota so we didn't look at minivans. But I think a lot of people love them.

Catherine

lhafer
12-05-2011, 05:06 PM
If you're open to a minivan, I get that some people are not, then definitely go with it. They are the best, most convenient, most comfortable vehicles. I doubt gas mileage is much different between a large sedan and a minivan. I LOVE my minivan and will never drive another vehicle with kids unless they install sliding doors on something else. I can't imagine making sure kids don't open their doors into nearby cars. I only have two kids so a I rarely use the third row seats. I typically leave them folded away into the floor, giving me a humongous space for cargo, especially groceries, strollers, suitcases.

:yeahthat:

Minivans give you the most amount of configurations you will every possibly need. I have one that is almost 6 years old, and I just passed 101,000 miles on it. I have an almost 6 year old (we got the minivan right after she was born), and a 21 month old.

I keep the 3rd row folding down 99% of the time. I can't believe some of the stuff I have been able to fit in my car - with the car seats in! I love that the middle row seats move back and forth if/when needed. We mainly got a minivan because we had a large dog who traveled with us a lot. The cargo room was great for her.

The next car I get will be a Buick Enclave, unless they come out with something that impresses me more for the money between now and when I get a new car (thinking 2013 sometime). Now that my littlest one only uses an umbrella stroller occasionally, and we don't have the large dog anymore, we really don't need as much space anymore.

lmr1101
12-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Keep the opinions coming. It is very helpful. For those of you who suggest minivans - what make/model?

We really are starting from scratch here and I'd love to not spend the next month on car lots :)

BillK
12-05-2011, 05:14 PM
What are looking to replace my husband's ford explorer. He does the daycare drop off/pick up so this would be the car with car seats.

We have 2 kids. The oldest is almost 3 and ff. She will be in her Frist Years True Fit for years since she is now only 26lbs.
My younger dd is alomst 3 months old in a graco snugride.

We would like to keep the car under $35,000 and plan to keep this for at least 5-7 years. He is totally open to driving a mini van if that will fit the car seats best. He is also used to having the big explorer and likes the cargo space. I would love a larger sedan since my husband has to drive a lot for work and it would save us on gas prices, however since this would be the family car he thinks we should get a 7 passenger minivan or suv so we have room for kids and friends... thinking long term.

My biggest concern is to find something that will fit my older dds car seat and also a second convertible seat, when my younger dd is ready for the switch.

Where should we start our search???

LOVE LOVE LOVE my wife's Toyota Sienna. Our only regret is not getting the AWD version. I drop our 6 year old off at school each morning and take my wife's van since he can easily get himself in and out of his booster - while my 2011 Ford F150 supercrew 4 x 4 is much more difficult for him to get in and out of.

The new Sienna is freaking beautiful - much nicer than our 2008. I love the styling of it - whereas I think Honda's styling has slipped as of late - I personally think the new Odyssey is buttfrigginugly (still a good van though).

nfceagles
12-05-2011, 05:27 PM
I love my Toyota Sienna. My mom just bought a new Honda Oddysey and it's very nice too.

My third row seats are really easy to put up and down. Maybe pp had an older model. Some are powered. Mine are not, but they are still easy to use and fold flat into the floor.

nfceagles
12-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Do you need AWD? Are you up north near Flagstaff (I'm originally from Yuma, but went to NAU)? AWD will probably push you up into the high $30s. I live in snowy New England, but I'm a stay at home mom, so we usually just stay home when it snows. I haven't ever wished I had AWD. I got my 2008 XLE model with a few extras (leather, moon roof, power doors and rear hatch, but no NAV or DVD) in early 2008 for 29,250. Not sure what they price out at now.

BabyBearsMom
12-05-2011, 05:35 PM
We really love our Odyssey. We just have one DD right now, but DD2 will be here this spring and I am so happy to have the extra space. We use the Cargo space a lot. And the extra seating is great for the grandparents and when we have friends travelling with us. Both DH and I think that we will have a minivan as long as we have kids. The gas mileage is admittedly not great, but it is no worse than an SUV, and the space/comfort is totally worth it.

lhafer
12-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Keep the opinions coming. It is very helpful. For those of you who suggest minivans - what make/model?

We really are starting from scratch here and I'd love to not spend the next month on car lots :)

I would start looking at www.edmunds.com for comparisons and reviews (both professional and consumer).

I have a 2006 Nissan Quest. If I were to trade it in today for another minivan...it would be a 2012 Nissan Quest. I compared the Sienna, Odyssey and Quest (along with a meriad of others) at a local car show and I just prefer the Quest.

brittone2
12-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I love having a van (we have an 05 ody).

Some reasons I like my van:
-Room for 3 kids plus the dog.
-Room to take my parents places (at one time we lived 15 mins away so when we went to different events, etc. we usually carpooled. Now we live 9 hours away but they visit frequently, and when we go out to lunch, dinner, etc. we just take one car).
-We can pull our pop up camper with it (sold Dh's truck as it was no longer needed for that purpose)
-sliding doors. Like another poster, I really love having sliding doors and it would be hard for me to ever go back to not having them
-As the kids get older it is nice to have the option to bring friends along. -We transport my niece and my kids periodically in the same car, and my parents use the van to transport the kids plus my niece sometimes when they come to visit
-I don't think my ody is great in the snow but we stay home when it snows most of the time. We HS, so no school to get to ;) I have not yet tried snow tires on it but may in the future.

maestramommy
12-05-2011, 05:40 PM
We have an 05 Accord, bought the year Dora was born, which has a LOT Of cargo room. It fits 2 convertible seats easily, and you could sit a younger kid in between them. Right now we are able to get 3 carseats across.

I think it really depends on how you think you are going to use your car in the next 5-7 years. If you think there will be a lot of carpooling or driving of extra passengers (like grandparents), then I would go for a lower end Ody and hang on it it forever. If however, you think at least 90% of the time it will be just the 4 of you or less, and fuel economy is really important to you, get a sedan like an Accord, Camry. Or even a Mazda 5. Some of the posters here have on and love it for a family of 4. There is plenty of cargo room when the back row is not activated.

We keep waffling on whether to get a minivan. If we had known we'd be having 3 kids in short order, we probably would've gotten one. But the truth is 98% of the time we only need room for the 5 of us or less. Most of the time it's just me and the kids, so even if I need to bring the dog along, he rides in the front passenger seat. On the occasion that we have visitors we drive two cars, but it really hardly ever happens. If I had to drive a half empty minivan around 90% of the time I would just be cringing at the mileage. We have a 4WD SUV, but it gets used when we need the config. If we ever do get a minivan, the SUV will be the one to go. Dh puts snow tires on my Accord in the winter, and it actually works really well.

twowhat?
12-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Minivan all the way, for what you describe. Minivans are SO configurable. You can get an INSANE amount of cargo room by folding down the 3rd row AND taking out the 2nd row captains chairs - you could literally haul a sofa that way. With 2 kids, we leave the 3rd row folded down, which leaves quite a LOT of cargo room for double stroller and several Costco runs with plenty of room left over. Car seats go in the captains chairs (and minivans will fit most any car seat). When we need to carry 1 extra person, I toss in the plus one seat and sit between the girls (they are both in Radians, so plenty of room for a person to sit between them). When we need to carry more people (or dogs!) we pull out the 3rd row. Love being able to have family visit and being able to take just one car. Especially when going somewhere where we don't want grandparents driving because they don't know the way, are plain just not as good drivers, etc. And a minivan will have better gas mileage than a large SUV. In fact, I know a family with triplets who traded in their suburban for a minivan and never looked back.

We :heartbeat: our Odyssey. The turning radius is AMAZING. Even DH comments on it when getting in and out of tight spaces. I can park it in compact car spots because of the sliding doors. I love it. Best baby purchase EVER!

hoodlims
12-05-2011, 05:48 PM
I'd go minivan. I have a Toyota Camry Hybrid and it is a tight squeeze with one convertible carseat and one infant seat. I have also had two convertible carseats and it is just as tight. Plus, the trunk space is not conducive to young kids and their stuff, or having a dog.

We have looked and compared both the Sienna and Odyssey because my hubby needs to replace his 14 year old CR-V. Here is what I think about both:

Sienna XLE Pros
- Push start button, leave keys in purse/pocket. VERY convenient! (have this on my Camry)
- Captain's chairs
- Nicer colors
- automatic folding seats for 3rd row
- purse space up front

Sienna XLE Cons
- if you lose a key, they are very expensive to replace (nearly $500 - trust me, I know from first hand experience)
- you lose the cool Captain chairs when you put 2 carseats there
- only 3 LATCH positions (I'd like more kids, so it is something I think about)

Odyssey EX-L Pros
- 5 LATCH positions
- Wide mode seating in 2nd row (can push a button to space the 3 seats to fit infant seat in middle better, or fit 3 carseats across)
- roomier 3rd row
- trash bag feature (a rim pops out and you stick a bag in there)
- cooler box in front (really, just a space where cold air recirculates)

Odyssey EX-L Cons
- standard key (hard to downgrade when you have the cool Toyota key)
- no Captain's chairs (but do I really need it?)
- pricier
- no automatic 3rd row disappearing button, but you pull a strap and it folds up pretty darn quickly anyway
- ugly colors (half of them were around when my aunt and uncle bought their first Odyssey...20 years ago)

Personally, I like the new body style of the Honda Odyssey. It looks more SUV like because they made it wider and lower. The lightning bolt design reminds me more of an SUV also, but gives you better viewing capacity (as opposed to an SUV where the 3rd row of windows swoops upwards).

So...I think I'd go with the Odyssey, especially because of the multiple LATCH positions (again, if you only have/want 2 kids, not a big deal). The only thing that makes me rethink the Sienna is the key feature, which you only get in XLE or Limited.

Good luck!

Seitvonzu
12-05-2011, 05:52 PM
the sliding doors on the mazda 5 are amazing. we bought ours in 2007 and will most likely replace my husbands car with the new model when we need too (the he will get the old mazda 5 and i'll get that one...the one we have doesn't have rear vents, very bare bones, but i still love it :)

AnnieW625
12-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Maestramommy summed up my thoughts well too; although we only have two kids and are done having kids so for our next car both DH and I don't see the point of getting anything bigger. We will be replacing an 01 Corolla so we are used to small, but don't want that small again.

Sedan: We hope to replace the Corolla with one of the following cars in the next 12 to 18 months: VW Passat TDI (manual), Honda Accord Ex (manual), and Volvo S60 (auto w/paddle shifters). Both DH and I commute about 50 miles total per day so gas mileage is important. I won't consider a sedan that doesn't get at least 28 mpg. .Right now if the Passat makes through the year with good reliability ratings and good repair ratings that is the car we will most likely get. DH who works in the air quality industry is a big proponent of diesel technology. The Volvo also has an AWD model, which is suppose to quite good also. The Accord is just a reliable car that makes a lot of sense. I had a coupe till DD1 was born and I absolutely loved it. That car sold me on Hondas.

SUV: We have a 2006 Honda Pilot and really like it. I will say that I don't care for the current model so if I had to buy an SUV today I'd go with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is similar in size to my Pilot and can easily fit 3 kids and carseats.

Minivan: DH is not a fan of the vans, but if I had ended up with twins instead of just DD2 he said that a mini van would've been almost unavoidable. We would've probably gone with the Honda Odyssey but the Toyota Sienna, and Chrysler Town & Country would've been in the mix too.

eta: the Mazda 5 might get a test drive too, but again we aren't really convinced that we need a van, although the 5 isn't your typical van.

nfceagles
12-05-2011, 06:00 PM
My DH drives a Jetta TDI wagon. He loves it and it gets amazing gas mileage. I think he averages 35-40. My kids and their car seats fit in there fine when we take his car instead of the Sienna.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-05-2011, 06:11 PM
we have a 2010 odyssey. i love love love that thing. i never want to drive with the kids in anything else.we travel a lot and sometimes rent SUVs (bc minivans are expensive to rent), and while they're okay, nothing measures up to the Ody. our sedan (camry) barely gets used..only when DH or I goes out alone somewhere while the other stays with the kids. sometimes we even take the van out when we're out on a date night, bc it's just so much more comfortable.

also, i have an arsenal of strollers and i like having BJCMD, Vista (+ accessories) all loaded, then when we get somewhere i can choose which stroller i want to use. eg. if we go to a mall, we use BJCMD, then if we go to a restaurant after we use Vista.

oh, and minivan is INVALUABLE when you get somewhere, baby has poop blowout, and the place you're at has no changing tables in the restrooms. you can just change the kid in the van easily. this has happened to us more than once!!

eta: oh yeah, and sliding doors ROCK.

hoodlims
12-05-2011, 11:22 PM
I thought I should add that I have a sedan, and DH has a small SUV. This year, for XMas, we are driving BOTH cars down to the parents' homes. There was no way we could get 2 kids in carseats, 1 dog, 1 suitcase, 1 double stroller, and miscellaneous presents/crap into either one of the cars. I need a minivan, ASAP!

Nice that your DH is already on board with the minivan idea. I think most men are afraid to take that jump, but once they have one, it becomes their favorite car.

MamaInMarch
12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
:yeahthat:

Minivans give you the most amount of configurations you will every possibly need. I have one that is almost 6 years old, and I just passed 101,000 miles on it. I have an almost 6 year old (we got the minivan right after she was born), and a 21 month old.

I keep the 3rd row folding down 99% of the time. I can't believe some of the stuff I have been able to fit in my car - with the car seats in! I love that the middle row seats move back and forth if/when needed. We mainly got a minivan because we had a large dog who traveled with us a lot. The cargo room was great for her.

The next car I get will be a Buick Enclave, unless they come out with something that impresses me more for the money between now and when I get a new car (thinking 2013 sometime). Now that my littlest one only uses an umbrella stroller occasionally, and we don't have the large dog anymore, we really don't need as much space anymore.

We bought our minivan when I only had DS (mainly because we needed a new car and I intended to keep it forever and not rebuy when we had another child) but I loved it even with just one kid in it. I would not go back and choose something else. When this one craps out I will probably get another.

I have a Toyota Sienna. The only thing I would change would be to have Toyota start making them with stow n go seats. However, that is not enough to sway me to any other brand.

SnuggleBuggles
12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Happy with our Mazda5 here. It's versatile and small. We can fit more people in it but day to day, it's a great size for our family of 4.

Beth

artvandalay
12-05-2011, 11:30 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE my wife's Toyota Sienna. Our only regret is not getting the AWD version. I drop our 6 year old off at school each morning and take my wife's van since he can easily get himself in and out of his booster - while my 2011 Ford F150 supercrew 4 x 4 is much more difficult for him to get in and out of.

The new Sienna is freaking beautiful - much nicer than our 2008. I love the styling of it - whereas I think Honda's styling has slipped as of late - I personally think the new Odyssey is buttfrigginugly (still a good van though).

I absolutely love my Sienna. The newest Sienna is really sharp looking, too. We kept going back and forth between the Sienna and Odyssey... they are both great vans, but I found the Sienna most comfortable to drive.

And I completely agree about the brand new Odyssey being ugly! I don't like it at all.

OP, best thing about minivans are the sliding automatic doors....so useful!

scrooks
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
I had a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder we traded in for my 2010 Ody about 1.5 years ago. The Ody is a much more family friendly vehicle. Its so much easier to get the kids in and out and i love the sliding doors. It is awesome to travel with. We can fit sooooo much in it.

Dh just recently purchased a 2012 Buick Enclave with AWD. I really like the enclave and the interior configuration (similar to that of a minivan). Its also nice knowing that we have one AWD vehicle for bad weather (although my Ody did ok last winter in our snowy climate). I have found there to be more blindspots in the Enclave though. My Ody is so wide open and i can see around me much better. But the enclave is NICE!

joules
12-06-2011, 12:54 AM
We purchased our first minivan in July. A Sienna SE (sport edition, no AWD since we don't need it for SoCal). We love it and it works for us for many reasons. We only have one DS now, but we have another one on the way. We drive our nanny back and forth twice a week and usually take our dog with us. The minivan makes it easy for everyone to get in and out (the nanny usually has a lot of stuff with her as she does all our grocery shopping too) We also have lots of family nearby, love being able to just drive one car around. We already have 2 sedans that have been paid off, so the mini van is just a weekend car for taking the baby out. I really prefer loading/unloading baby gear and the baby in the minivan. We have the UppaBaby Vista and that always took up most of the trunk space in our sedans.

I never thought we would need the cargo space, but it's come in so handy already. It's been used to transport a Little Tikes playhouse and also a new dishwasher. Also this past weekend, we were meeting with friends about 1.5 hours away from here. Well it turns out when we got to the destination everyone else was running late. It was so cold outside, so we just hung out comfortably in the van while we waited. I had easy access to all the baby stuff so I could feed DS a small meal and change his diaper while we waited. DS didn't get restless because he could get out of his seat and walk around inside the van. DH also had enough room to change into his suit (we were going to a wedding after the inital meetup). And I had room to stretch out my big fat pregnant body. Today we had out of town friends over and their DD who is the same age as DS. We spent the day at the zoo so we had a TON of baby gear. It was so nice to be able to fit everyone in one car.

DH and I were not excited about getting a minivan (but knew it would work best in our situation)....until he pointed out the Sienna SE to me. It looks "sporty" and nice! I can't believe I actually really like the way it looks. DH has gotten tons of compliments on it - even younger single people notice how nice it looks.

daniele_ut
12-06-2011, 01:27 AM
With only 2 kids, I was perfectly happy with my 2005 Chevy Malibu. I'd have happily kept driving it until it died. It had plenty of space for any car seats in the back and it had an enormous trunk. We were going to replace dh's aging Subaru before I found out I was pregnant and we were seriously considering a 2010 Subaru Outback. Now he gets to baby his car to get it to last a bit longer, but with 2 kids, the Outback would have been great for us.

When we were faced with needing more space due to the impending arrival of DS2, we chose to buy a minivan. DH really wanted a GMC Acadia and thought it would be the perfect vehicle for us, but when we test drove it after driving a Dodge Grand Caravan, a Honda Odyssey and a Kia Sedona, he realized that it felt cramped by comparison. Even the sales guy at the GM dealer told us that when they take road trips in theirs with their 3 kids, that they have to fold down part of the rear seat to get enough cargo room.

I know a lot of people love their 8 seater vans, but we chose to go with a 7 seat 2010 Grand Caravan. DS is in a carpool and one of the moms drives an 8 seater Sienna and the other drives a Pilot and the kids are always having to climb over seats because of boosters and carseats being in the way of tumbling seats to get out. That would make me cringe with muddy, snowy boots all winter.

hellokitty
12-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Wow, I gotta say. Usually on threads like this, there is so much anti-minivan sentiment. I'm impressed with how many positive posts there have been regarding minivans. I am on my 2nd Honda Ody and :love-retry: it. I got my first one when I only had one child and think it is the perfect family car, whether you only have 1-2 kids or you have more than that. I think you can't go wrong with an Ody or Sienna, everyone I know that has either one has been extremely happy with them and they really hold their value if you need to trade/sell it later on.

lowrioh
12-06-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm not a minivan fan but some people LOVE them. I just don't like driving them (especially in city traffic) but it is definitely a personal preference thing.

You may want to consider getting a fuel efficient car like a VW Jetta TDI wagon and then rent a minivan if you are taking long trips. We did this when we were both driving smaller cars and in the long run it was more economical.

We have a Mazda 6 wagon and I love it....I wish they still made them.

(I just realized they discontinued making the Passat wagon...why are all the car manufacturers discontinuing the wagons?)

ETA: Another thing to consider is if you DH is really tall. If he is the Jetta Wagon, Mazda 5 and many other cars may not work for him.

maestramommy
12-06-2011, 11:46 AM
I've recently been seeing these on the road.

http://automobiles.honda.com/crosstour/utility.aspx

An Accord with the utility of a wagon.

twowhat?
12-06-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm not a minivan fan but some people LOVE them. I just don't like driving them (especially in city traffic) but it is definitely a personal preference thing.

You may want to consider getting a fuel efficient car like a VW Jetta TDI wagon and then rent a minivan if you are taking long trips. We did this when we were both driving smaller cars and in the long run it was more economical.

We have a Mazda 6 wagon and I love it....I wish they still made them.

(I just realized they discontinued making the Passat wagon...why are all the car manufacturers discontinuing the wagons?)

ETA: Another thing to consider is if you DH is really tall. If he is the Jetta Wagon, Mazda 5 and many other cars may not work for him.

Minivans of past years were definitely a bear to drive (I grew up driving one and they drove like trucks) but nowadays minivans are just as easy to drive as cars. If not easier since you're higher up and visibility is a bit better:)

I have a theory about wagons. We considered the Passat wagon for our family. But after doing the research, etc we realized that people think of wagons as "a compromise between the car and SUV" (that's what we thought about them) and then therefore think the wagon will have a significantly better capacity for handling people/cargo...in reality that just isn't the case. A wagon is no better than a sedan with a bit more cargo room in back. I'm talking about the traditional wagons though (basically sedans with a hatchback). The Mazda 5 I would consider to be "more than just a wagon". So that's why I think carmakers are phasing out the passat wagon, etc (remember there used to be a camry wagon??).

emily
12-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Minivan all the way! We got our Ody when DC2 was born. I hate driving with both DC in our sedan. Feels so cramped. I love the sliding doors, the fact that both DCs can now climb into their seats unassisted & I dont have to lift them up, all the space for their stuff, plus the storage in the back. We have the third row down most of the time.

lowrioh
12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Minivans of past years were definitely a bear to drive (I grew up driving one and they drove like trucks) but nowadays minivans are just as easy to drive as cars. If not easier since you're higher up and visibility is a bit better:)

I have a theory about wagons. We considered the Passat wagon for our family. But after doing the research, etc we realized that people think of wagons as "a compromise between the car and SUV" (that's what we thought about them) and then therefore think the wagon will have a significantly better capacity for handling people/cargo...in reality that just isn't the case. A wagon is no better than a sedan with a bit more cargo room in back. I'm talking about the traditional wagons though (basically sedans with a hatchback). The Mazda 5 I would consider to be "more than just a wagon". So that's why I think carmakers are phasing out the passat wagon, etc (remember there used to be a camry wagon??).

For me the issue is pick up rather than handling IYKWIM. My mom has a Honda Van (2009 I think) and it's fine to drive...just not my cup of tea. The Jetta wagon has a diesel turbo charged engine so it MOVES. When I'm merging onto the beltway, I want to be able to put my foot down and go...I personally just find the van sluggish. But like I said it is a personal preference.
I just find it odd that in EU hatchbacks and wagons are super popular but that doesn't translate as much here. The Accord and Passat Wagon are still available there. I wonder if wagons will become more popular as gas prices and fuel efficiency standards go up.

twowhat?
12-06-2011, 12:09 PM
For me the issue is pick up rather than handling IYKWIM. My mom has a Honda Van (2009 I think) and it's fine to drive...just not my cup of tea. The Jetta wagon has a diesel turbo charged engine so it MOVES. When I'm merging onto the beltway, I want to be able to put my foot down and go...I personally just find the van sluggish. But like I said it is a personal preference.
I just find it odd that in EU hatchbacks and wagons are super popular but that doesn't translate as much here. The Accord and Passat Wagon are still available there. I wonder if wagons will become more popular as gas prices and fuel efficiency standards go up.

Oh yeah, a minivan is never going to be zoom zoom:) And it won't ever handle like a german car...though I wonder how the Toureg drives...

lmr1101
12-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone for the responses. I guess we need to start by looking at minivans.
It's funny, but I'm the one who doesn't really want the van while my husband is totally for it. I guess since he'll be the one driving it more he should be happy with it.

I should have mentioned that we live in near Phoenix, AZ so no AWD needed here! That should hopefully help to keep the cost down, at least a little.

I was just really hoping we could all somehow fit in a sedan, but we do drive out to San Diego often and I'm starting to accept that we will need the extra cargo space of a mini van.

smilequeen
12-06-2011, 01:02 PM
I am speaking as someone looking to get away from a minivan, but really, they are the best, most spacious, most convenient family cars. I am looking at SUVs just because I think I'm having some sort of mommy midlife crisis. The sliding doors, the space, the organization...minivans are awesome family cars. With 2 kids you could get away with anything really, but a minivan or SUV will let you carry additional people. To be honest if you are looking at BIG sedans, the gas mileage is not better. And a minivan isn't better than a similar SUV either. I have an AWD minivan, no better, possibly worse mileage than DH's MDX. If you don't need AWD in either, I imagine the mileage is pretty similar.

mommylamb
12-06-2011, 01:12 PM
We recently got a Hyundai Veracruz (SUV with the optional 3rd row) and we really love it. We were able to get it for $25K, which was an awesome deal. It drives so nicely. For us, we only will ever have 2 children, so I didn't think a minivan was a necessity. While I love my sister's Ody, it's not the car for me. Make no mistake though, my car probably gets similar gas mileage to a van, and is no smaller, so it's not like those are pluses over a minivan. I just rarely ever need the third row and liked the SUV more. When my MIL visits- which she does for at least 2 weeks each year- it will be nice to have the 3rd row, which is why we ended up getting it.

I've compared my Veracruz to a good friend's Pilot, and the Veracruz, IMO, is so much nicer for a lot less money. It looks much more luxurious inside and drives better, I think. Plus there's a better warranty on it.

Anyway, we're very happy with it for our soon to be 2 child family.

lowrioh
12-06-2011, 01:21 PM
We recently got a Hyundai Veracruz (SUV with the optional 3rd row) and we really love it. We were able to get it for $25K, which was an awesome deal. It drives so nicely. For us, we only will ever have 2 children, so I didn't think a minivan was a necessity. While I love my sister's Ody, it's not the car for me. Make no mistake though, my car probably gets similar gas mileage to a van, and is no smaller, so it's not like those are pluses over a minivan. I just rarely ever need the third row and liked the SUV more. When my MIL visits- which she does for at least 2 weeks each year- it will be nice to have the 3rd row, which is why we ended up getting it.

I've compared my Veracruz to a good friend's Pilot, and the Veracruz, IMO, is so much nicer for a lot less money. It looks much more luxurious inside and drives better, I think. Plus there's a better warranty on it.

Anyway, we're very happy with it for our soon to be 2 child family.

My good friend just got one of these and is also really happy with it.

AnnieW625
12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
For those that asked about the Passat wagon I can see it being reintroduced in the next year or two ESP. if the TDI Passat continues to sell like hot cakes. We have friends who have mid 2000 model Passat wagons who are very happy with them and they have been issue free.

I've compared my Veracruz to a good friend's Pilot, and the Veracruz, IMO, is so much nicer for a lot less money. It looks much more luxurious inside and drives better, I think. Plus there's a better warranty on it .

The Honda does drive like a truck, even though it is on the same car based frame as the Odyssey. The Veracruz is really nice inside, it feels like a larger Lexus RX350 to me; just as nice. The Veracruz wasn't out when I got my car in 06, but I definitely would've given it a look had it been. I always forget about that model.

hellokitty
12-06-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm surprised so many like the VW wagons. Everyone I know IRL who had one, hated them. They were a maintenance nightmare.

AnnieW625
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm surprised so many like the VW wagons. Everyone I know IRL who had one, hated them. They were a maintenance nightmare.

My friend with the Passat wagon (non TDI) had one that was built in the USA. Some were also built in Mexico and my friend says those are the ones that can be a kiss of death, but I think those ones out numbered the USA built ones. Also I have read reliability reports that with VW the simpler the engine the better (skip the turbo; diesel is in it's own little world, but usually more reliable than gas and it lasts a lot longer than a regular gas powered car). All VWs are now made in the US or Germany.

egoldber
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I have a Jetta TDI wagon and love it. I downsized from a minivan and it is a much better fit for us. I love the handling and the gas mileage.

But this decision really depends on your lifestyle. I drive high mileage for work and really never carpool other people or kids. The low MPG on my van never bothered me until I was driving 60 miles a day commuting. Then it became painful to fill my van twice a week vs. every 2 weeks like I do the Jetta.

I am also short and I find a sedan easier to get in and out of and to get the kids in and out of than I did in a van.

We got a roof rack and roof carrier for the Jetta and that has solved all our travel needs.

But as a SAH mom to 2 younger kids, a van was nice. And if we had 3 kids or a dog or a need to transport cargo regularly, a van is great. Although I honestly think that having less cargo space is actually a good things sometimes. More than once it has prevented an impulse purchase at Costco or Target and it makes me think about what I really need to take on a trip vs dragging everything just because I can.

Simon
12-06-2011, 04:31 PM

This was our experience with a Passat Wagon. It was a great car for our family re: cargo space, comfort, and gas mileage. Maintenance was a PITA.

I can't say enough how nice it is to have at least one car with excellent gas mileage. We love road trips and the savings have been wonderful!

wolverine2
12-06-2011, 04:37 PM

I don't think wagons are coming back here... I wish they would, but I heard even VOLVO is stopping production of wagons in the US. I think wagons fit SO much more than a sedan, even more people in the olden days (we have a Taurus w/ the 3rd rear seat, which we use). I SO want to replace our Taurus with a wagon, but it's like all you can get now is a crossover.

AnnieW625
12-06-2011, 04:58 PM

My inner car nerd is coming out:) (I was a regular reader if Car and Driver before I had a license!:shake:). The lone Volvo wagon, the XC70 will be out for at least the 2013 model year (it was at the LA Auto Show) however Volvo did discontinue the V70, and the V50 (as well as the S40 sedan) in model year 2011 and for 2012. Acura has the TSX sport wagon, which is the
Accord wagon in Europe. Honda has the Crosstour, but it is butt ugly IMHO, wish they would've made it a true wagon, and it a hatch back. Like I said in my prior post I think the Passat wagon might make a comeback, but VW also has the Tiguan which is similar in size to a 1998 to 2006 Honda CRV so while it isn't a traditional wagon you get a similar amount of space.

mommylamb
12-06-2011, 05:09 PM
My inner car nerd is coming out:) (I was a regular reader if Car and Driver before I had a license!:shake:).

:rotflmao:It's true, you always seem to know a ton about so many cars. I say that in a loving way, with only a slight bit of teaing to it:kisscheek:.

maestramommy
12-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Acura came out with a wagon, but I have a couple of beefs. 1) no stick. Gah! Acura with no stick?? 2) For the amount of money it cost, might as well get a minivan :tongue5:

My guess about the phase out of wagon is not enough customers. That's the same story I hear when I ask, "why do minivans not come in stick??" "no one" wants one. Gah.

AnnieW625
12-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Acura came out with a wagon, but I have a couple of beefs. 1) no stick. Gah! Acura with no stick?? 2) For the amount of money it cost, might as well get a minivan :tongue5:

Yeah that is my issue with it too (the TSX w/ a manual is way $$$$ now too and only available with a sports package and intelisuede interior or something) . For that price I'd rather get a Volvo S60 with a beautiful butter soft leather interior and deal with the paddle shifters although I'd still prefer a true manual. Or for about 7k less I can get a manual Accord, no leather, but a trunk large enough for a mobster.

(sorry for the hijack, next to car seats and strollers cars are my favorite topic!)