PDA

View Full Version : When to use a Frontier

Mamabear4
12-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm hoping I haven't messed up already. I have 2 DS's - 3 yrs and 1 yr. We have 2 boulevards for DS1 - one for each vehicle. DS2 is about to graduate from his Chicco, so I purchased another blvd during a sale (got it for $239, which I thought was pretty good). We still need one more carseat for DH's car (he's not the primary driver, so we're still using the infant seat in that one - DS2 isn't over the weight limit yet, but is close).

I was signing up for the Britax giveaway that someone posted a bit ago and saw the info on the Frontier. They advertized it as designed for the 2 and up group. Now I'm wondering whether I messed up by getting another Blvd. Should I have purchased a Frontier for DS1 and given his blvd to DS2?

What age did you start using the Frontier? Would it be just as safe as the blvd for DS1 (3 yr old)? We are currently using the blvd FF for DS1 and RF for DS2. At what age/weight do kids move into a booster?

Should I get a Frontier for my DH's vehicle and pass the blvd on to DS2 or should I just buy another blvd?

I thought I was on top of this car seat thing and now I'm so confused!

AnnieW625
12-05-2011, 06:51 PM
We started using the Frontier with DD1 when she was 2 yrs., 10 mos. old. She was 30lbs. and 38" tall. As much as I really like the Frontier though I don't care for it as a belted booster for average size 5 or 6 yr. olds. If you already know you want to keep him in a harnessed seat until he is at least 7 then it will be a good choice. We plan on having her use it again when she outgrows the Turbo Booster at around 8 or 9 (the Frontier is good for 9 yrs.), or we will move DD2 into it when she has outgrown the BLVD.

I don't think you made a bad choice in getting another BLVD, I love the one we have for DD2 and it should get her until at least 5, maybe 6. If you are looking at having another child it makes sense to buy another BLVD. If you don't want to spend that much money on another BLVD then look at the RA55, which can be found for around $125 to $175. We have that seat for my DH's car and are happy with it, plus it is lighter and easier to travel with.

I moved my DD1 (5/1/2) into a belted booster in both of my cars at 5/1/2. She is 45" tall and 40lbs.. She is in a Graco highback turbo booster. Kids are ready for belted boosters at all different ages.

Joolsplus2
12-06-2011, 08:45 AM
I think that's a great deal on a BV and wouldn't have any problem having two BV's for kids in such a young age range. You could possibly even go straight from a BV to a booster at age 5ish, and the Frontier isn't the easiest to buckle. If you want to harness to 6-7-8, then the Frontier will be a better choice at that point (and easy for big kids to buckle as a booster).
The Frontier would be a fine choice for DH's car, though, yup, it's just as safe as a BV when used properly. It can be challenging to install and it's heavy to move, so be sure DH is cool with having it pretty much permanently installed. Graco Nautilus is another nice choice, or lots of DH's like the Recaro name and a Prosport might ring his bells :)

WatchingThemGrow
12-06-2011, 09:40 AM
We just started using a Frontier for DD at 5.5. I felt better about a 5 pt harness since we're doing a LOT of car trips over the next month or 2 and a booster seemed like skimping for a large amount of highway driving. We did enjoy having 3 of the same seat (Marathon) because we had an extra cover that made washing the dirty ones/letting them dry easier.

arivecchi
12-06-2011, 11:46 AM
I would return the blvd and get a frontier for the 3 yo.