PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - moving and Christmas

wifecat
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
We just sold our house (yippeeeee!) but now we'll be moving across the country at the end of Dec/beginning of Jan. We're planning to have the movers come Dec. 28.

Now for the big question...would you have Christmas or postpone it? Our kids are 1 and 2.5 and they stay home with me, so if we told them it's just not Christmas yet, they'd have no reason not to believe us.

We either have to schlep their unwrapped presents across the country, or unwrap presents here in a not-so-festive house and then promptly pack them up again. WWYD?

Pear
12-05-2011, 04:41 PM
We moved just 2 days before Christmas when DD was 9 months. I was actually kind of depressed about not having a tree and such. DH surprised me by putting a tree in our new home.

I vote celebrate Christmas on schedule. Do some simple decorations and have fun with it.

BDKmom
12-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I think whichever way would be more enjoyable and work best for you. The kids aren't going to know the difference.

vonfirmath
12-06-2011, 11:52 AM
I'd do Christmas in an unfestive house and have all the new stuff be your toys for the cross country move!

Then you don't have to worry about decorating the new place when you want to unpack.

KLD313
12-06-2011, 11:57 AM
We moved at Christmas when I was a kid and we just did a small, fake tree instead if the big, real tree. I would just do something like that.

kristenk
12-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I would do a small Christmas celebration at your current house before you move. As hectic as it's going to be, I just can't imagine having a new house and trying to decorate for Christmas when you're still living out of boxes, etc.

If you really want to have a Christmas celebration of some sort this year, you should do it before you move b/c you might decide that it's not worth the hassle after you move.

karstmama
12-06-2011, 12:53 PM
they won't know the difference, everything you do will be perfect & special. my vote is a very very simple celebration on christmas, but do what makes you least stressed and give up the idea of the big christmas blowout.