PDA

View Full Version : Note to self:

m448
12-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Do not rely on your sieve of a memory when deciding which movies to show the kids.

Oy. First I decided it would be good for the kids to watch the original Bad News Bears earlier this year. I think I almost tripped across my living room in a rush to turn it off when I saw Walter Mathau drive up to the field drunk and that Cassidy looking rebel kid light a cig on his motorcycle. :hysterical:

Then in order to relive my own childhood I had the bright idea of showing the kids A Christmas Story. I do have a pretty dark sense of humor but I did not remember the few moments in the story when the obscenities were crystal clear. Granted, I let a few things slip out of my own mouth but the two boys who regularly insult each other with creative monikers like poohead (yes just poohead thankfully not the real word) don't need further ammunition. I did let them watch the movie though as I was sitting right there but good grief I may have to start previewing even the ones I've watched before. LOL

Oh and on a random note, today after we were done with schooling I told my oldest I'd show him what a rubix cube was on youtube. He was fascinated with the solving videos and the speed solvers too but then we stumbled across these gems from a troupe of domino builders. Amazing, amazing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MV1iwUVzJ0&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_5usotgesM&feature=related

elektra
12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
We do Christmas Story too and yes there are some real cusswords in there. I wish I could bleep those out.
And then I fast forward the part where Ralphie is beating up the bully. It's kind of graphic and his face gets bloody- it bothered DD at one point so we do fast forward that part.
Overall, it's a fun movie though, but I hear you on not remembering certain parts of that movie or any childhood movie.

m448
12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
I hear you on that bully scene. I have a very empathetic second born who is almost 6. To him it's torture seeing anyone getting hurt even on a movie. He actually hid behind the couch and fretted about the poor bully's bloody nose. But this is also the kid that cannot watch a movie where the kids are separated from the mom/dad without saying almost constantly, "WHEN are they going to find their mom?????" LOL It will serve him well to have such empathy when he grows up.

amldaley
12-05-2011, 08:03 PM
I did the same thing with DD several months ago when I showed her "Annie" and then someone reminded me that there was a gun fight and terrorists, etc...she keeps asking for the "Sandy the Dog" movie now which has conveniently been lost.

almostmom
12-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Well, just this past weekend we all sat down for movie night to watch Ace Venruta, Pet Detective. I was so excited, thinking the kids would love it. About 10 minutes in I checked the box to see it was PG-13 and the language, and insinuations, were just too much. DS cried when I turned it off. Luckily Pee Wee's Big Adventure, my other great idea, was fine and saved the day. yikes!

So, I know what you're feeling. But who has time to watch a movie first?

wimama
12-05-2011, 10:58 PM
I hear you on that bully scene. I have a very empathetic second born who is almost 6. To him it's torture seeing anyone getting hurt even on a movie. He actually hid behind the couch and fretted about the poor bully's bloody nose. But this is also the kid that cannot watch a movie where the kids are separated from the mom/dad without saying almost constantly, "WHEN are they going to find their mom?????" LOL It will serve him well to have such empathy when he grows up.

:yeahthat: On the bully scene. It is one of my favorite Christmas movies. I told DS we could watch it and then remembered that there was a mean Santa. So, I had to prep her for the mean Santa. Then he didn't like the fight scene or when the bullies are chasing them. My DS is pretty empathetic as well. We let him watch Funniest Home Videos when he was a toddler and it was like he was watching a horror show. He would cry when people fell down or got hurt.

oneplustwo
12-05-2011, 11:12 PM
So, I know what you're feeling. But who has time to watch a movie first?

That's where movie review sites, like commonsensemedia.org, parentpreviews.com and kids-in-mind save my butt. I keep having my own brilliant ideas for great movies for my kids, read the synopses and info on those sites and realize I'd forgotten way too much.

OP, I've been in the same boat. My own leaky memory doesn't let me remember which movies I was doing that with though!