PDA

View Full Version : Mixbook disappointment

AngB
12-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I did the groupon deal of 40 cards plus shipping for 19. Got my cards today and am very disappointed with the quality- their image printing is crap- and we used professional, high resolution images. I wanted to send them out this week- guess I'm kind of stuck unless I try to get my money back and go make cards at Walmart or Walgreens (either of which would turn out much better than these but would probably cost more, which I'd be ok with and just make fewer cards- we don't really need 40 anyway). Anyone else disappointed with your cards from them? Would you complain through groupon or mixbook?

♥ms.pacman♥
12-05-2011, 06:20 PM
i got mixbook deal thru groupon also (75 cards for $29). i think ours turned ok, the only thing is that one of the pics is sort of more yellowish than i wanted...not a biggie.

i think for complaints you would have to go to mixbook, i imagine.

i've gotten photocards cards made at Walmart, and the cards i got from Mixbook looked way better. maybe it depends on the type of photo, or the coloring? All the photos i've had printed at Walmart come out super dark and very contrast-y.

also, this was my first time getting pics done on that silk finish paper. it looks way different from the walmart ones that are on photo paper.

MSWR0319
12-05-2011, 06:21 PM
I would try Mixbook first. I've never had anything done by them, but have seen a few books and was amazed at the quality of the pictures. They were just from a regular camera and taken by a bunch of men, so trust me there was no quality photographer taking them! Hopefully you just got a bad batch and they can make it right.

jenmcadams
12-05-2011, 06:25 PM
I was pretty happy with mine -- just got them today...quality of photos was good (2 pics on one card, one from pro photographer and one from my P&S camera), but I also had my photos in black & white, so no color issues. I loved the cardstock and for the price ($39 for 120 cards) it was way cheaper than any other option. I would try Mixbook first for CS

Melaine
12-05-2011, 06:36 PM
What a bummer....I'm sorry they didn't come out well! Have heard good things about mixbook so that's disappointing.

overcome
12-05-2011, 06:46 PM
I used Mixbook to do a photo book of our beach wedding. Photos were taken by a professional photographer.

The quality was not what I expected. The pictures were very white (does that make sense? too much exposure?). I wasn't pleased but it I didn't complain bc it was pretty cheap with the coupon I had and I was really just experimenting (although I spent a REALLY long time on it).

I would contact them. See what they say. Let us know.

turtle12
12-05-2011, 07:06 PM
so sorry, that stinks. i think it depends on what you want to do. you can go through mixbook and they will probably try to re-do your order. but if you just want a refund, you will need to complain to groupon. groupon will give you a "store" credit.

at least its early enough for you to get them done locally. i've had good luck with printing at costco and sams.

katydid1971
12-05-2011, 09:26 PM
i got mixbook deal thru groupon also (75 cards for $29). i think ours turned ok, the only thing is that one of the pics is sort of more yellowish than i wanted...not a biggie.

:yeahthat: Yellowish is exactly my problem too. I'm not unhappy but they aren't as awesome as I had hoped. They definitely look better than the regular photo cards I usually get from costco.

fivi2
12-05-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry. Ours from Costco look really bad this year. This is our 3rd (4th?) year with them and I usually think they are fine, but they are really bad this year.

jgenie
12-05-2011, 09:38 PM
:yeahthat: Yellowish is exactly my problem too. I'm not unhappy but they aren't as awesome as I had hoped. They definitely look better than the regular photo cards I usually get from costco.

Same problem here - I ended up keeping mine because I had Groupon credits so I paid $6.ish out of pocket. I figure I don't have time to start over and get them out on time. I won't be using Mixbook again nor will I recommend them.

nupe
12-05-2011, 09:55 PM
OP sorry about your experience!

I ordered from mixbook and am still waiting. I'm really not cut out for all this waiting. Next year I'll stick to Costco with the 2 day or so turnaround time during Nov/Dec, if only for the waiting. Keeping my fingers crossed that my mixbook cards will be "acceptable" although the reason I'm paying this much is for "fabulous"...

AngB
12-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks!

Yes, yellowish/ coloring is really the problem (DS is blond/almost bald and his hair looks almost green in the pictures.) DH thinks it has more to do with the paper it was printed on (the medium grade-silk finish) than the printing.

They want me to take 2-3 pictures of the issue and will either advise me on what we did wrong or send reprints. I'm leaning towards not dealing with it since I don't really want to wait for reprints that may not be much better, if they even agree to do them. (It's really only 1 picture of 4 that is really bad, as it's the only picture where DS is alone and not wearing at hat.) Kinda ironic that they stamp their name on the cards, as anyone who sees them and then sees the real pictures even from a mediocre printing place like Walgreens/Walmart will see that they aren't very good.

kaharris83
12-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Ours turned out really great too, but they were also black and white.

sunshine873
12-06-2011, 01:56 PM
That's too bad. I love my Mixbook cards. The photos definitely look different on the silk paper, but I kind of like it. I was really unhappy with the Walgreens quality of my cards last year.

Good luck, let us know how Mixbook's customer service is...

Pinky
12-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I just opened my mixbook cards and they are beautiful EXCEPT there are lines running through my photo on the front. It looks like the red from the card ran down over the picture in lines during printing.

It's really awful and I can't believe that some sort of quality control didn't catch this before they were shipped.

Anybody else having problems too?

AngB
12-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I just opened my mixbook cards and they are beautiful EXCEPT there are lines running through my photo on the front. It looks like the red from the card ran down over the picture in lines during printing.

It's really awful and I can't believe that some sort of quality control didn't catch this before they were shipped.

Anybody else having problems too?

On some of my cards, they had random splotches of color, like smears from the printer maybe. I just didn't feel like messing with it anymore and sent them out anyway. I'm just glad I learned that mixbook stinks with only $19 "invested".

Pinky
12-10-2011, 07:25 PM
On some of my cards, they had random splotches of color, like smears from the printer maybe. I just didn't feel like messing with it anymore and sent them out anyway. I'm just glad I learned that mixbook stinks with only $19 "invested".

I had to go ahead and send mine out too because I don't have time to wait but they are very disappointing. I'm really surprised they sent them out this way. I emailed them, so we'll see what they say.

ECMom
12-10-2011, 10:08 PM
I was not happy with ours either. I turned out very grainy. The card I picked had one large photo on the front. I contacted them & they were willing to reprint for me with a different photo. I sent them a replacement photo on 12/2 asking if the quality would be ok. On 12/8, I received a reply saying the replacement photo was a little grainy but if I wasn't happy with the reprints they would reprint again. This was 6 days later & I assumed since I hadn't heard from them that it was ok & they were in the process of reprinting.

I just don't have time for this and I'm not impressed. I've requested a refund from Groupon.

nupe
12-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Mixbook was not for me. I used their basic template and revamped the layouts, added pictures, changed backgrounds. I am accustomed to Photoshop and I hated that I couldn't adjust things the way I wanted. I also made a point of using larger pics and shrinking down rather than blowing up small pics and was so disappointed when my pics looked blurry. I also realized that I prefer being able to pickup in 1-2 days rather than wait a week for them to be shipped Soooo kicking myself that I didnt' go costco this year. Especially since this year Costco has some stunning layouts, and I could have just used one of them instead of remaking the whole thing!

That being said, the email customer service was overall helpful, with delivery options.

3isEnough
12-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I received my Mixbook cards this week and love them! I actually couldn't be happier with them. I'm shocked, because after the previous negative reviews I was really kind of dreading receiving mine because I didn't want to be disappointed.

However, it did take 2 weeks to receive them (which corresponded to their estimated delivery date, but still a long time to wait!). And given the issues others had, I may not order from them again just because I don't want to risk it. But really for this year, I'm thrilled with their quality. And the price via the Groupon discount was phenomenal :thumbsup: