PDA

View Full Version : Update in OP- Housekeeper dilemma, WWYD?

mmsmom
12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Update: Thanks everyone for your advice. It actually worked itself out... turns out the new person was wrong about her schedule and actually isn't available on the day I needed.

A couple months ago we got referrals for housekeepers from our neighbors. Two came to give us quotes; they both seemed fine but one was slightly more professional so we hired her. We discussed schedule and the fact that we need someone to come in the morning because that is generally when I have the kids out of the house and I like to be out of the way and my younger DD naps in the afternoons & I did not want cleaning going on while she was napping. Last week the housekeeper told me she had to take a morning job so she was moving all her cleaning clients to afternoons. I told her I did not think that arrangement would work for us but I would think about it and let her know. I would have liked to keep her but it would have disrupted our schedule too much. So I called the other person who gave us a quote and hired her. Then I sent the current one an email (I told her I would let her know via email) to tell her afternoons would just not work. I immediately get an email back saying she talked to employer and she can work afternoons on the day she comes to my house so she can keep mornings.

I don't know what to do. I already hired the other person. She did not mention that keeping mornings would be a possibility. She had 3 days between our conversation and my email to tell me she could keep the same schedule. WWYD?

roseyloxs
12-05-2011, 06:41 PM
I would just be honest. I would let her know you thought she was unavailable and hired someone else.

babyonway
12-05-2011, 06:55 PM
I would just be honest. I would let her know you thought she was unavailable and hired someone else.

:yeahthat:

mjs64
12-05-2011, 06:56 PM
I would tell the one I just hired that you don't need her. If you like the one you have and she rearranged her schedule, I'd rather inconvenience the new person than take work away from someone you've built a relationship with. Plus, presumably, she already knows your preferences, home, etc. You may have unforeseeable problems with the new person. It will be an awkward conversation, but I'd be willing to have it to keep the old housekeeper.

hillview
12-05-2011, 06:56 PM
:yeahthat:

HannaAddict
12-05-2011, 09:51 PM
If you like the existing housekeeper and aren't looking for an excuse to make a change, I would just call the other person who you have zero relationship with and tell her you won't be needing her after all. It happens all the time and I would be glad my current person actually tried to work around my schedule, she must appreciate you as a client.