PDA

View Full Version : Does your DS have a double crown & cow licks?

happi
12-05-2011, 06:32 PM
My son has double crowns and is eat up with cow licks in his hair - he got them from me :( Anyway I am trying to let his hair grow out some and it just stands straight up in the back, nothing I can do to make it lay down. I am about to give up and just have it cut short! Anyone else have this problem? If so what did you do?

carolinamama
12-05-2011, 06:36 PM
BOTH my boys have a double crown and cowlicks. DS2 does okay with pretty short hair but DS2 almost needs longish hair to overcome them. His hair towards the opposite side from the crown as his prominent cowlick in front goes if that makes sense. He looked like he had a bad mohawk when he was a baby and getting hair. Just keep growing and see if you can overcome the growth patterns. This is how my DS1 looks the best but he wants short hair.....argh.

gatorsmom
12-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Gator and Greenbean have terrible cowlicks. I've tried growing their hair out (doesn't work), smoothing it down when wet and using product. Nothing keeps their hair down. So, we just keep their hair cut short.

Cam&Clay
12-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Both of my boys have awful cowlicks. A hairdresser once counted 9 in DS1's hair. His hair has gotten curlier as he got older, so he just keeps it long-ish in a cool soccer dude kind of way. I've kept DS2's long-ish until recently when I went ahead with a typical boy cut. Boy do I regret it.

I felt like I was always saying, "I swear I comb their hair" all the time. I have the cowlicks, too, but I have length to help me out.

My only suggestion is either super short or long.

kboyle
12-05-2011, 08:55 PM
two of my boys do, ds3 has the worst of it...no matter how long (unless buzzed) it's ALWAYS sticking up :) we don't do anything with it, i like it :)

Gena
12-05-2011, 11:09 PM
DS has multiple hair whorls. He has two at the crown, one clockwise and one counter clockwise. He has a frontal whorl just over his forehead that makes the hair there lay like a flat disk. Also, he has a bald spot about the size of a nickel on the right side of his head.

We keep DS's hair short (short clipper cut, but not a buzz) but not because of these features.

DS's geneticist was very interested in his hair patterns. Apparently the types of whorls he was are often (not always) associated with developmental issues.

Green_Tea
12-05-2011, 11:52 PM
DS's geneticist was very interested in his hair patterns. Apparently the types of whorls he was are often (not always) associated with developmental issues.

Tell me more!

DS (who's behavioral issues I have detailed on the boards many a time) has a double crown just like Gena's son - one clockwise and one counter clockwise, plus a cowlick in the front. A friend who's an OB nurse told me that the she and her colleagues speculate that the direction of the whorls indicate the sex of the next baby (sibling) to be born. She took one look at DS's head cracked up :rotflmao:.

Gena
12-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Tell me more!

DS (who's behavioral issues I have detailed on the boards many a time) has a double crown just like Gena's son - one clockwise and one counter clockwise, plus a cowlick in the front.

I don't know a whole lot about the correlation between hair whorls and developmental issues. But both the geneticist and the developmental ped told us that certain whorl patterns (like DS's) are "soft markers" for developmental, nuerological, or chromosome disorders.

This is one of several features DS has that are considered "mildly dismorphic". In addition he has epicanthal folds (unusual for our ethnicity), large head, and irregular spacing between his toes, to name a few others. This was part of the reason we had advanced genetic testing done. We discovered DS has a very rare chromosome microdeletion; it's so rare that the doctors don't know the clinical significant of it or how/if it is related to his autism and other issues.

Green_Tea
12-06-2011, 12:25 AM
I don't know a whole lot about the correlation between hair whorls and developmental issues. But both the geneticist and the developmental ped told us that certain whorl patterns (like DS's) are "soft markers" for developmental, nuerological, or chromosome disorders.

This is one of several features DS has that are considered "mildly dismorphic". In addition he has epicanthal folds (unusual or our ethnicity), large head, and irregular spacing between his toes, to name a few others. This was part of the reason we had advanced genetic testing done. We discovered DS has a very rare chromosome microdeletion; it's so rare that the doctors don't know the clinical significant of it or how/if it is related to his autism and other issues.

How interesting! Thanks for the information.

chiisai
12-06-2011, 09:22 PM
DS did and his hair stood straight up at the crown about 3 1/2 inches before it started to lay down.

DD does, too, but her hair doesn't stick up, it all just goes in completely different directions. No matter what I try to do to it, within moments it looks like I've taken a towel or something and rubbed it all over. Hair flying this way and that across her scalp. She has pretty fine and sparse hair right now; I'm hoping it will get a bit thicker as she grows.

Raidra
12-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Colwyn has a double crown. Either keep it cut really short, or let it grow out, or get over it and just accept that it will always look messy. Look at it this way.. he'll never have to try hard to get that tousled look. ;)

I buzz Colwyn's hair fairly regularly, though in the past we've kept it long. I actually prefer it long. But anyway, when his hair is growing back, at some point it gets to this stage where his hair forms a ridge right along the middle, like he's got a mohawk. I call him my little Rhodesian Ridgeback.