PDA

View Full Version : Woodburning fire and newborn - ok?

flashy09
12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Can we have a fire in our fireplace with a newborn in the room or house? Not sure if there are any harmful particles or if the smoke that escapes (not much does, but I am sure there is some) is detrimental. What about in the days before the baby comes home, would anything linger? We would love to light a fire tonight (no baby yet)!

wellyes
12-05-2011, 06:46 PM
I had the same concerns. But really, it is how most people throughout history have heated their homes. And certainly didn't stop for babies. So long as your chimney is in good shape, you're fine. The risks with that kind of fire are related to poor ventilation or air pollution. One home fireplace isn't a concern.

JBaxter
12-05-2011, 06:48 PM
yes its fine. I grew up with a wood burning stove in the kitchen ( cook stove) We heated the whole house for years. Running a humidifier is a good idea because of how dry the air can get.

flashy09
12-05-2011, 06:56 PM
I do have an air purifier I can run on high as well. Thanks for the advice, I am worrying about every little thing lately!

Simon
12-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Okay, I know I sound crazy protective here but I'll go ahead and give a dissenting opinion.

Research shows that kids who grow up in homes with wood stoves or fireplaces (used for heating not just on occasion) have about 5x the resp. illness as kids in homes with other heat sources. Also, providing women with stove alternatives (vs. open wood fires) is a major health initiative among int'l health organizations. Inhaling wood smoke is bad.

I know, you aren't talking about either of these situations exactly, but I would not keep my NB in the same room as a wood fire, though I would have one after bedtime and just keep him/her in another room. We won't be using our wood stove at all after Ds3 arrives.

I'm sure I would have been more lax after Ds1 who was a basically healthy kid, but now having lived through serious resp. stuff with my Ds2 I am very seriously vigilant. There is no way of knowing if NB would be just fine or if s/he is prone to asthma or other issues and once the lungs get irritated, it can be difficult to undo (just one serious illness can have months of lingering issues like cough and wheezing).

ETA: I'm not totally anti-wood fire. We camp and take the kids to bonfires. Dh is using the wood stove with Ds1. But I wouldn't do it at home just for fun and not with my NB. I think Ds2 was 9-10 mo before he ever got near a wood fire and, at that time, was still healthy/we didn't know of his issues.

hoodlims
12-05-2011, 10:42 PM
I didn't do it.

ecofem
12-05-2011, 11:00 PM
I think I would pass on the fire

JoyNChrist
12-05-2011, 11:05 PM
We have a wood-burning fireplace that we used last year when our preemie twins were tiny. Not that we use it every day, but it was nice every now and then. Our kids didn't seem to have any adverse effects.