PDA

View Full Version : *UPDATE in post #26!* Moms (and Dads) of 3rd graders: a homework question

Green_Tea
12-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Other than reading, does your 3rd grader have required homework on the weekends?

Twin Mom
12-06-2011, 12:21 AM
No. Except for the monthly book report and the reading they are supposed to be doing, there is no homework on weekends.

I don't know about you but where I am, 3rd grade is way more difficult than 2nd.

ett
12-06-2011, 12:22 AM
No homework on the weekends except for reading.

n2ou
12-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Monthly project .... And then something silly like "eat turkey" .... Oh and we always get "play 60 min outside" otherwise no homework on the weekends.

Beth24
12-06-2011, 12:30 AM
No. Nothing on weekends.

Green_Tea
12-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far.

DD1 brought home a newsletter/flyer today about new, nightly online math homework that the teacher will be tracking for speed, accuracy, etc. I initially assumed this was Monday-Thursday homework, and though I was less than thrilled about her having to complete homework online each night, I was willing to roll with it. Then her teacher sent out an email to all the parents with more information, including the fact that he expects the students to complete the homework on weekends as well. He mentions in the email several times that the program will keep track of the dates/times they log in, and requests an email from the parents explaining any nights that the child is unable to complete the homework.

I am not pleased. I think 3rd grade is way too young for homework 7 nights a week. I am going to email her teacher about it tomorrow, and let him know that while we'd be happy to have DD do a little extra math each night, we consider weekends to be sacred family time that's often technology free. I am fine with having her read on the weekends (and she does!), but required online math homework on Saturday and Sunday? Not at eight years old.

ETA: DD is not behind in math at all - in fact, at her November conference we were told that she's already mastered 37 of the 38 concepts required for 4th grade, and has been getting extra challenging work from the school's gifted and talented teacher. So this is not about getting her up to speed.

s7714
12-06-2011, 12:46 AM
No. With the exception of a few special projects during the year, the majority of the homework is due the following day. No homework has ever come home on a Friday.

JElaineB
12-06-2011, 12:50 AM
DS has no homework on the weekends. We (parents) are supposed to respond to his weekly journal. During the week he is supposed to read 20-30 min a night plus has one math sheet and one spelling sheet a week.

ellies mom
12-06-2011, 02:01 AM
My second grader does get homework over the weekend (two short books to read, a reading response, and maybe one math or vocabulary sheet). The teacher would rather not give it over the weekend but she found that parents often requested it so it goes home on Friday and is due on Wednesday. I don't really mind the way she does it.

That said, I'd be seriously annoyed with the expectation that the student log on every night and seriously annoyed and probably unwilling to send an e-mail justifying why my child didn't log in on a given night.

kwc
12-06-2011, 02:04 AM
We get a weekly packet with a reading comprehension story plus a page of questions, a word puzzle (often a crossword) or two, and about 4-5 pages of Everyday Math homelinks to be done during the week (but not ahead as they reflect the days lesson)... the whole packet is collected each Monday. In addition, the kids are supposed to log 4+ days of reading at least 25 minutes each week and have spelling/ vocab words to study on their own each week. DDs teacher specifically said that she prefer the kids NOT plow through it all in one day (which DD is likely to do) but wanted to have some flexibility for the kids if they have sports practice/ other activities which would make it difficult to have daily homework due the next day.

I would be really peeved about homework that specifically had to be on Saturday and Sunday.

kozachka
12-06-2011, 02:23 AM
No homework here, not even reading. We tell DS that he has to read for half an hour each day (as he used to struggle with reading in 2nd grade and just because we think it's good for him), but in reality, he does not.

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion, but I would not have an issue with DS having to practice math on week-ends if it were for a short period of time, e.g. 15 minutes. In my opinion, he does not do enough math and it is not complicated enough for an 8 year old. This comes from someone who grew up in a country where math and science are valued quite a bit.

essnce629
12-06-2011, 04:55 AM
No homework here, not even reading.

cilantromapuche
12-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Is it the IXL math site?
On the weekends DS has to read 20 min. a day. He is a voracious reader so we don't have to do anything. His school has a homework policy of no weekend homework. During the week he normally has one math worksheet, reading and spelling. Sometime he might have a writing sheet instead of math.
Where we are the schools aren't strong so I don't consider 3rd harder than 2nd.

lfp2n
12-06-2011, 06:59 AM
We have an extra weekly math packet additional to Mon-Thurs math that goes in on Tues that gets done on the weekend. Often there are projects. Third is way harder than 2nd here, the number of 'tests' in readiness for SOLS is staggering (and depressing). Its a public school in a small city.

MichelleRC
12-06-2011, 07:37 AM
No weekend homework here either.

mytwosons
12-06-2011, 07:49 AM
DS1 gets a math sheet over the weekend. He can also fill out time on his reading log, but that isn't required.

He gets a math sheet on M, W, & F. Reading comprehension sheet on M. I really don't feel like it is too much at all.

hillview
12-06-2011, 08:23 AM
DS1 gets 5 books and 2 math and 2 spelling assignments to do Thursday-Tuesday (due Tuesday morning) so basically it is weekend homework for us. Honestly that is easier for me than getting a packet on Monday and having it due on Friday.

hellbennt
12-06-2011, 08:54 AM
not much homework, unless working on a project but, thankfully, teacher does the majority of projects in class!
weekend there's usually a 2 or 3 math sheets (3 seperate ones not 6)-
pages from the math workbook. DS1 is 'ahead' in math, so it's a no-brainer...
for ds2 in K- just reading or working on a project-some 'projects' aren't major at all, lol, ex: this weekend he had to cut out 10 adjectives & paste them on a sheet of paper

SnuggleBuggles
12-06-2011, 09:00 AM
No weekend homework.

Beth

MelissaTC
12-06-2011, 09:06 AM
M had spelling homework in third grade. However, 90% of the time it was completed in class. His teacher ran the spelling week Friday to Thursday.

His school is academically challenging but I will say third grade was a lot harder than fourth has been and he has a great fourth grade team.

momof2girls
12-06-2011, 10:00 AM
No homework on weekends except reading and the occassional long term project like a diorama or poster.

Meatball Mommie
12-06-2011, 11:14 AM
No weekend homework here either. Once he had an English worksheet that was given and he had a few days to do it, so we happened to do it on a Sunday, but it could have been done Monday night instead. He also hasn't had any projects like book reports or anything yet...I think that's coming though. I kind of wish he did have homework on the weekends though...he could use the extra practice...

kdeunc
12-06-2011, 11:26 AM
We have nightly homework during the week but not on weekends. I think 3rd grade is a little early for 7 day a week homework but I would try to comply with the teacher's request.

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
12-06-2011, 11:55 AM
3rd grader here in CA...We do have an occasional project due, but no actual assigned weekend homework. During the week homework is mostly math worksheets and reading/writing type activities. And of course, the requisite reading each night.

mikeys_mom
12-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Our private elementary school has a policy of no weekend homework.

Green_Tea
12-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Thank you all for the feedback!

I decided to sleep on it before emailing DD's teacher about the new 7 days a week policy, and I'm glad I did - at 7:30 this morning her teacher sent out a follow up email saying that upon further reflection he's adjusting the online homework to 5 nights a week, and we can choose what 5 nights to do it. I have a feeling that other parents felt the way I did (at least the 2 moms I emailed back and forth with did) and were quicker to email the teacher to complain. I am very relieved! Required homework 7 nights a week for third graders - tracked online, with no flexibility on when it can be completed - is a little over the top IMO. I have no issue with having DD read on weekends, or work on special projects, but everyone needs a day or two of rest. Especially when you're 8 years old :D!