PDA

View Full Version : WWYD, Craigslist?

Melaine
12-06-2011, 09:48 AM
You guys probably know I've sold TONS of stuff on Craigslist. TONS. I've never had a no-show. My system for "screening" people tends to work really well. I have had maybe two times where the person showed up and low-balled me or wanted to buy some of a lot, but I ended that quickly. Usually, I look for tell-tale signs of commitment phobic buyers or plain old flakes before ever meeting face to face.

I'm trying to sell a $25 item and I received a series of emails on Sunday about it. The emails were very polite, articulate and grammatically perfect. The woman's last email to me was Sunday night when we set up a meeting time and place. My last email back was to give my phone number, describe my car, and finalize meeting place.

I haven't heard back. I always get a confirmation email just to double-check by this point. A couple hours ago I sent an email saying, "Are we still on for meeting at 11?" and haven't heard back.

Should I go and hope she shows (I have no car description or phone number for her). Should I assume she changed her mind? WWYD?

I would really like to get rid of this item because of SPACE and the meeting place is only a few minutes down the road. I guess I just don't want to be annoyed if I am sitting there waiting for someone who isn't actually coming.

ETA: Also, I am half hoping that by writing this overly long post I will prompt the email gods to send me a note from her in the next hour and a half.

lhafer
12-06-2011, 09:51 AM
I would give her up to an hour before meeting you to respond. Sometimes I find that if you get down to the place, description of car, and number that they take that as the "final" contact before the transaction. That's just been my experience (I've sold a lot on there too).

artvandalay
12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
If the meeting place is just a few minutes down the road, I'd go.

Do you mind sharing some of your screening process? I've had lots of flakes and no-show's dealing with CL people. I'm kind of at the point where I don't even want to do it anymore.

SnuggleBuggles
12-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Did you tell her to reply to your email? Like pp, I would also read that as the "final" contact and wouldn't have necessarily replied to it. I'd be there though.

Beth

Melaine
12-06-2011, 10:03 AM
I think you guys are right. I would hate to be the "no show"! I am going to hope she emails me or calls in the next hour but I will go ahead down there anyway. It's BRU, so I can always shop if I get stood up!

Melaine
12-06-2011, 10:08 AM
If the meeting place is just a few minutes down the road, I'd go.

Do you mind sharing some of your screening process? I've had lots of flakes and no-show's dealing with CL people. I'm kind of at the point where I don't even want to do it anymore.

Sure, it's not that brilliant though! I have just found that if you sort of draw out the communication process, you see if the person is serious.

For instance, if I get an email I respond with, "Yes, I still have the item. Are you interested?" then if they respond I say, "I can meet in this area one morning this week, would that work for you?" then the next email I say, "Could we meet in the Target parking lot on Tuesday morning? If so what time?" It just seems like the more back and forth you have, the more commitment you get....if there are serious grammar issues with the email I don't respond or don't respond very quickly....it's sad but most of those people don't end up going through with a purchase. It also seems like the more eager responders might not be serious either. Those who respond with a few questions about condition, brand, etc. (although I try to address all of those in my description) seem to be serious shoppers.

I think I have just lucked out and also I tend to sell higher end stuff that most people would say is over-priced. So I think those who do respond are often more serious by default, because otherwise who would pay the asking price for a toy that doesn't light up or sing?

Melaine
12-06-2011, 01:00 PM
UGH. My method obviously failed this time. NO SHOW.

3isEnough
12-06-2011, 01:05 PM
UGH. My method obviously failed this time. NO SHOW.

Ugh, what a bummer. But it does sound like your intuition was right about it, since you questioned whether you should even go. I hope your BRU trip was successful ;)

Melaine
12-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Ugh, what a bummer. But it does sound like your intuition was right about it, since you questioned whether you should even go. I hope your BRU trip was successful ;)

Well, I didn't get anything. I'm reminded that I hate BRU. There was a pile of clearance gear near the front and everything was marked down (significantly). There was an Ergo box and an organic chocolate brown Ergo set up on a manequin thingy on top of all the clearance. No tag.

I asked an associate how much it was and she went to scan it. Full price. Shouldn't it be on clearance, I ask. It's sitting with all the rest of the clearance.

Her response was that someone had placed it there accidentally (a customer). Really?

Someone placed a carrier ON A MANNEQUIN, with it's accompanying box in the clearance section but it's full price? I think not. And employee's half-hearted offer to "go ask a manager" did not help. Don't make me twist your arm to do your job.

ETA: At least while I was waiting 30 minutes in the car I was able to chat on the phone with BFF who I haven't spoken to in awhile. That was nice.

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the tips, though. I've never done CL but we have tons of stuff that would do well.there. Any other BTDT tips for a total newbie?

luckytwenty
12-06-2011, 01:31 PM
I am cracking up over the correct grammar criteria! I used to use that as a criteria for dating. :-) I live in an area where Spanish ties with English as the primary language so I can't really rely on that as a criteria, but the multiple back-and-forths about product specifics usually work.

HannaAddict
12-06-2011, 06:20 PM
I never, ever, ever give out any meeting information until I have a phone number to call them at and have spoken to them on the phone. I only give out the information for meeting just before the meeting, if they ask before, I give the general area so they can judge how much time it will take and when they are about to go, I will give out the info. I don't think I've ever had a no show but I agree that CL is much sketchier these days, far more rude or abrupt requests and I go with my gut and don't contact people who seem weird. I mostly have sold furniture (nicer) and high end strollers in excellent condition and other big ticket baby/child items (Learning Tower like new, etc.) so maybe I self screen that way too. Sorry you got stood up!

KrisM
12-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Sorry for the no show!

I've only sold a dozen or so things so far, and have been pretty lucky. I've done similar to what you've done with the back and forth emails. I have not ever talked to someone on the phone though. So far, email has been fine, although we've exchanged numbers.

I have 2 more pending meeting this week. I'm excited to be getting rid of stuff. Melaine, your CL posts got me going on using CL instead of ebay, so thanks!

lhafer
12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Sure, it's not that brilliant though! I have just found that if you sort of draw out the communication process, you see if the person is serious.

For instance, if I get an email I respond with, "Yes, I still have the item. Are you interested?" then if they respond I say, "I can meet in this area one morning this week, would that work for you?" then the next email I say, "Could we meet in the Target parking lot on Tuesday morning? If so what time?" It just seems like the more back and forth you have, the more commitment you get....if there are serious grammar issues with the email I don't respond or don't respond very quickly....it's sad but most of those people don't end up going through with a purchase. It also seems like the more eager responders might not be serious either. Those who respond with a few questions about condition, brand, etc. (although I try to address all of those in my description) seem to be serious shoppers.

I think I have just lucked out and also I tend to sell higher end stuff that most people would say is over-priced. So I think those who do respond are often more serious by default, because otherwise who would pay the asking price for a toy that doesn't light up or sing?

:yeahthat:

I go by very similar criteria! I've bought and sold a lot on CL and have never had a no show. I've sold stuff from $10 toys to a $1,000 DSLR camera (I sold it for $1,000). I'm very picky with who I respond to. I don't resond to lowballers. I don't respond to emails where the only question is "Is this still available" because I put "if this ad is still up, then the item is still available" in my listings. And yes, grammar is important to me as well, as is spelling.

I've had good success with my listings. Fingers crossed it continues!

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Do you guys have a separate email address just for CL? How much time commitment is this?

I am debating whether it's worth it to CL our kid's stuff vs consigning.

lhafer
12-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Do you guys have a separate email address just for CL? How much time commitment is this?

I am debating whether it's worth it to CL our kid's stuff vs consigning.

I never ever put my personal information in my listings. They can contact me via email through CL. I don't have a separate email once they email me though.

Time commitment is what you put into it. Take some photos of what you want to sell. Post an add (as detailed as you want to make it). I usually comparison shop with what is being sold on CL that is similar, and the same item that is for sale on Amazon and Walmart (usually the lowest prices) and price it from there. Then you wait for bites. I consigned stuff ONCE, and NEVER again. What a waste of my time, for so little back.

I can guarantee you, you spend more on the BBB threads reading and posting that it would take you to post a CL ad!! :D At least that's how it is for me!!

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 07:15 PM
I can guarantee you, you spend more on the BBB threads reading and posting that it would take you to post a CL ad!! :D At least that's how it is for me!!

Ha! Yes, true. Especially today since I'm home with a napping sick toddler. It isn't the posting time so much as the time it takes to meet buyers that makes me pause. When I really think about it... if it takes 30 minutes and, say, 6 miles driving to make a $5 sale... how much is the profit, really?

Of course there is the profit in having less junk in the house! That is priceless.

Melaine
12-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Ha! Yes, true. Especially today since I'm home with a napping sick toddler. It isn't the posting time so much as the time it takes to meet buyers that makes me pause. When I really think about it... if it takes 30 minutes and, say, 6 miles driving to make a $5 sale... how much is the profit, really?

Of course there is the profit in having less junk in the house! That is priceless.

Gosh, I would never make a $5 sale. I think my lowest has been $20 but in general most are in the $40-$50 range. I only drive places I would normally go anyway, like shopping places or fast food restaurants right off my daily route. Typically I work them in to my day so it's not inconvenient. I'll sell something at Publix then go shop for groceries. If I have a large ($60 and up) lot I might offer to meet a few miles down the interstate if someone is driving in from out of town.
Consignment prices are not good enough for me to bother, at least in our area. CL prices are better and with less effort, IMO.

lhafer
12-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Gosh, I would never make a $5 sale. I think my lowest has been $20 but in general most are in the $40-$50 range. I only drive places I would normally go anyway, like shopping places or fast food restaurants right off my daily route. Typically I work them in to my day so it's not inconvenient. I'll sell something at Publix then go shop for groceries. If I have a large ($60 and up) lot I might offer to meet a few miles down the interstate if someone is driving in from out of town.
Consignment prices are not good enough for me to bother, at least in our area. CL prices are better and with less effort, IMO.

Absolutely :yeahthat:

I don't do $5 or $10 sales by themselves. If I have stuff I am selling cheap like that, I do bundles. But most of the stuff I sell is $25-$100 range.

ETA: I take that back. I do do cheaper transactions, but not on CL. We have another local CL *type* of website, and everyone is very close range for me to meet them. So I do cheaper transactions on there sometimes.

twowhat?
12-06-2011, 11:22 PM
I never, ever, ever give out any meeting information until I have a phone number to call them at and have spoken to them on the phone. I only give out the information for meeting just before the meeting, if they ask before, I give the general area so they can judge how much time it will take and when they are about to go, I will give out the info. I don't think I've ever had a no show but I agree that CL is much sketchier these days, far more rude or abrupt requests and I go with my gut and don't contact people who seem weird. I mostly have sold furniture (nicer) and high end strollers in excellent condition and other big ticket baby/child items (Learning Tower like new, etc.) so maybe I self screen that way too. Sorry you got stood up!

I do almost exactly this! I've had fairly good success - I've had one no-show that I can remember. I also weed out emails if they are poorly worded, not wordy ENOUGH, etc. If a person sounds serious over email, I will give out a phone number and ask them to call. If they call me, it's another indication they are serious. I only give out general info about location ("near intersection of") and don't give out address until they call to tell me they are headed my way.

OP, so sorry you got stood up!!!! That sucks!

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 11:27 PM

Ok, that makes sense. I've had a lot of down time today and spent some browsing CL. Lots of items similar to mine (HA dresses, etc) were priced around $10 and some items were less. So, people also buy in lots? I saw some of those but had no idea if they sell or not.

vonfirmath
12-07-2011, 01:01 PM

Just to let you know. I was just on the receiving end of an obviously drawn out communication process and I ended up saying "No thanks". A $5 item is not worth that.

I do almost exactly this! I've had fairly good success - I've had one no-show that I can remember. I also weed out emails if they are poorly worded, not wordy ENOUGH, etc. If a person sounds serious over email, I will give out a phone number and ask them to call. If they call me, it's another indication they are serious. I only give out general info about location ("near intersection of") and don't give out address until they call to tell me they are headed my way.

Laugh. I'd never buy your stuff then. Without a definite point to meet I'm not going to make a definite plan to go. (Even if that definite point to meet is "The Whataburger in XX Shopping Market")

twowhat?
12-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Just to let you know. I was just on the receiving end of an obviously drawn out communication process and I ended up saying "No thanks". A $5 item is not worth that.

Laugh. I'd never buy your stuff then. Without a definite point to meet I'm not going to make a definite plan to go. (Even if that definite point to meet is "The Whataburger in XX Shopping Market")

I set up a meeting time over the phone, and then I ask for them to call when they are getting ready to come before I give out my address (if they balk, and I've never actually had anyone balk, I would be honest and say that I will only give out my address to people who are serious about coming because I've been burned before and I don't need some random stranger to have my address and never intend to come). So the meeting time and appx location has been set. But for me to keep myself safe, I do not give out the actual address until I know the person is serious about coming. This is for CL sales where someone needs to come to the house to pick up (which have been the majority of my sales).

I agree that it's difficult to draw the line between keeping yourself safe, weeding out serious vs not serious buyers, etc. But that's just the nature of CL. I've just chosen to be extra cautious at the expense of scaring off potential serious buyers.

Melaine
12-07-2011, 03:27 PM

I don't sell $5 items so it wouldn't matter. :tongue5:

Melaine
12-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Update. 24 hours later I get an email apologizing saying she didn't check her email and she DID come to BRU to meet me but was 15 minutes late. I am pretty sure I waited 20 before I left but REGARDLESS. I don't get why she didn't call me (and she never gave her number) so that's it for her.