PDA

View Full Version : In honor of my 5000th post...REAL or FAKE?

alien_host
12-06-2011, 11:04 AM
wait for it...poll coming!

lilycat88
12-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Had a real tree all my life until 2 years ago when the mold on the tree caused a HUGE allergy/asthma flare in DD. Fake since then. Who knew that Christmas trees were such huge mold sources.

artvandalay
12-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Had a real tree all my life until 2 years ago when the mold on the tree caused a HUGE allergy/asthma flare in DD. Fake since then. Who knew that Christmas trees were such huge mold sources.

Same here. Always had real until last year when DS got really sick right after Christmas.. found out that he is allergic to mold. Now we have to do fake.

On a side note when I read the title for this post I thought it was to be about boobs.

lizzywednesday
12-06-2011, 11:17 AM
I voted "other" because I would really prefer a real tree but we have a fake one and have had a fake one for 6 years.

We go away for the holidays, so a real one hasn't been an option.

But I'd like it to be. (And I'd also like to stay home for the holidays.)

nellonello
12-06-2011, 11:23 AM
We just got a fake tree this year as the cost of real trees is crazy!! We just bought a real wreath so that we still get the pine tree smell.

FTMLuc
12-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I always had a real tree growing up, but now we do a big fake one and I buy a fresh tabletop arrangement and a real wreath.

TwinFoxes
12-06-2011, 11:49 AM
We have a real one, but I'm one of those people who doesn't actually care fake or real. Which would surprise DH since I've dragged the family to chop down our own tree the past two years. :)

Jacksmommy2b
12-06-2011, 11:51 AM

Yup, us too. And I also expected boobies!

edurnemk
12-06-2011, 11:56 AM
We got a live potted tree this year. The company we got it from delivers it to your home, and then picks it up in January and plants it in a protected forest. As green as it can get!

Prior to this DH and I always had a real tree, growing up we had a fake one.

MamaMolly
12-06-2011, 01:00 PM
I put fake tree hate the needles because our crappy tree sheds needles! LOL:ROTFLMAO:

elizabethkott
12-06-2011, 01:09 PM
I love having a real one.
But now seeing the mention of mold... and remembering that J had issues around the holiday season last year... hm. Now I'm re-thinking my hard and fast stance on a real tree.
If he has issues this year again, that's it. I'll buy a fake one. But if not... I love me my real tree!!!

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I thought "tree" was a euphamism, but then I worried about the smell comment...

Just kidding! Real all the way here! Nothing short of a medical condition could change our ways. So far, no allergies in the family.

AnnieW625
12-06-2011, 01:18 PM
We have a real tree. No issues with mold, and only seasonal allergies in our house that aren't related to the tree. As much as a fake tree would be easier to deal with it would have to be the perfect tree for us or one of us would have to be deathly allergic to a real tree. Plus while I use plenty of plastic in my house adding a plastic Christmas tree just seems so unnatural. Our tree can be recycled too.

daisymommy
12-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Real! Love the smell, having live nature in my home (rather than the equivalent of what feels like artificial flowers), and the experience of going to pick out the perfect tree each year. Some years we go out to a tree farm, go on a sleigh ride, and cut down our own. Truly magical memories.

But...I hate the messy needles. I just deal with it.

No allergies here to anything.

oneplustwo
12-06-2011, 01:48 PM
We got a live potted tree this year. The company we got it from delivers it to your home, and then picks it up in January and plants it in a protected forest. As green as it can get!

Could you please tell me more? I've never heard of this, but it sounds right up our alley. DD asked last year for Santa to plant 100 trees and asked the same again this year (Arbor Day Foundation came through with flying colors on Xmas Eve last year for this last-minute request). This kind of Christmas tree would be perfect for us next year!

ETA: Forgot to mention ~ we have a real tree. It would take a severe allergy to make us switch to fake.

ETA2: I also thought this was going to be about boobs. :)

mackmama
12-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Real baby!

edurnemk
12-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Could you please tell me more? I've never heard of this, but it sounds right up our alley. DD asked last year for Santa to plant 100 trees and asked the same again this year (Arbor Day Foundation came through with flying colors on Xmas Eve last year for this last-minute request). This kind of Christmas tree would be perfect for us next year!

We're currently residing outside the US, but I know there's similar options in the US, such as: http://www.livingchristmastrees.org/ (Portland) or http://www.adoptachristmastree.com/ (San Diego). But I'm sure if you google "potted christmas tree delivery [name of your town]" you can find a place near you.

HTH!

oneplustwo
12-06-2011, 02:01 PM
We're currently residing outside the US, but I know there's similar options in the US, such as: http://www.livingchristmastrees.org/ (Portland) or http://www.adoptachristmastree.com/ (San Diego). But I'm sure if you google "potted christmas tree delivery [name of your town]" you can find a place near you.

HTH!

Thank you for the info!!

BabbyO
12-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Fake. I'm cheap and practical despite having real trees all of my childhood.

Real trees seem like a waste to me as I get older (unless they are the potted ones like mentioned above), I hate that they end up in landfills, and they're crazy expensive. Not to mention we have a VERY small area to put up our tree so a tall skinny tree is what we need (and easier to find in the fake department).

We do get a real wreath every year, though.

TwinFoxes
12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I hate that they end up in landfills

In the area we live in now, and where we lived in LA, they get recycled. :)

klwa
12-06-2011, 02:43 PM
I'd prefer real tree, but we've had a (fairly nice) fake one since the Christmas after we got married. (Went to the day-after Christmas sales that year & bought one we couldn't have afforded otherwise.)

larig
12-06-2011, 08:06 PM
my family owned a xmas tree farm until I was 25. I love real trees and they remind me so much of my childhood and the seasons we spent working out there. (My grandparents lived at the tree farm, so I saw them all the time). I prefer a real tree, but I also love mid-century modern shiny metallic trees. DS has a tiny blue metallic tree and I have a bigger pink one. We aren't putting up a real tree here this year, because we're traveling to see my parents. They will put one up for DS when we get there.--ETA, so I voted other, because we do what makes sense for our traveling situation.

larig
12-06-2011, 08:09 PM
In the area we live in now, and where we lived in LA, they get recycled. :)

yes, in seattle they are composted.

eh613c
12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Growing up we had a fake tree because I grew up in the Philippines and I'm not sure where we would buy a real one. Since I've been in the US, we've always had a real one. I love the smell. This year, we are renting a live Christmas tree. A potted tree will be delivered on our doorstep and after Christmas they'll pick it up to be brought back to their nursery. We can rent the same tree every year, if we choose to do so.

pastrygirl
12-06-2011, 10:36 PM
We have a fake tree that looks VERY real. Other people always think it's real -- even if they have real OR fake trees themselves. It's great! But, we've had it for 5 or so years, and it's only JUST paid for itself.

mjs64
12-07-2011, 12:20 AM
We've never had one. Only been married for 2.5 years, and it hasn't been in our budget. Space is an issue as well. I've bought a real wreath instead every year. I really want (a real) one every year but can't justify yet the tree plus the stand, lights, ornaments, skirt, and hassle. Now with DS crawling, putting everything in his mouth, and pulling up, it's even more impractical--I think I'd have to buy a superyard, too!

So this year I settled for a rosemary tree on the countertop. Does that count?

I think next year we'll go for it. Real, I hope.

LexyLou
12-07-2011, 12:27 AM
I never had a tree growing up (Jewish). We have a small tree now since DH is Catholic. We bought a little 6' cheapy after season about 5 years ago. DH hasn't said he wants anything different, so it stays. He runs the show on this one.