PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a good glass of wine

Fairy
12-06-2011, 02:41 PM
I know wine like I know how to speak Esperanto. The most I can tell you is that I like Merlot. Cuz I've had a couple glasses of something someone told me was a Merlot. I don't drink at all save once in a blue moon margarita at a Mexican restaurant or champagne at a wedding toast, and that is seriously it. But we're going out tonight for a special occasion to a really nice place that will have primarily meat, and they have quite the wine cellar. Thought I'd get a recommendation in case the unlikely mood strikes us. Anyone have a recommendation for a very nice wine served by the glass, ONE glass a piece?

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 02:49 PM
The place you describe should have very informed wait staff or a wine steward. I suggest asking them. They should be eager to suggest, and ask questions about what you like! If they act all snobby, they're jerks and foo to 'em.

My guess is you liked the merlot because it was a soft, fruity yummy wine. Merlot (unless it's really fancy merlot) tends to be that way. You probably want to avoid a wine with lots of tanin-that kind of cottony bitter taste that you also get in walnuts. Cabernets tend to be stronger and more tannic.

You also might like a soft pinot noir, yummy! I'm from Oregon and we love our local pinots.

Ok...now I really want a drink...thanks.

lizzywednesday
12-06-2011, 02:49 PM
If you like Merlot, you might also like Zinfandel (not White Zinfandel, which can be ghastly) and Pinot Noir.

Years ago, I was on a business trip & had Orchestre Merlot by the glass, but haven't been able to find it anywhere outside of the DoubleTree hotel in the Charlottesville, VA metro area. (It was delicious and I paired it with chocolate cake, which made me feel like a rebel.)

More than that, I tend to pick based on what I'm in the mood for and whether the wine list is made up of primarily American & Australian wines or the options are more global. I find a lot of American and Aussie wines to be too aggressive for my palate, so I don't end up enjoying them.

If there's a description in the wine list, I tend to gravitate towards descriptions that have the words "plummy", "berry" and "chocolate", even if the wine itself doesn't have that character for me, and I'm rarely disappointed. I do tend to avoid anything with "oaky" in the description, as I find the aftertaste to be a bit bitter.

ETA: Uno-Mom is right on the money when she mentions the sommelier and wait staff. Describe what you like in your Merlot and ask for a recommendation.

elektra
12-06-2011, 03:01 PM
You might also like a Bordeaux.

AnnieW625
12-06-2011, 03:22 PM
My favorite is Duckhorn Merlot, but that is usually only sold by the bottle:(, plus it is also $75+, but it is so good!). Jordan also makes a nice Merlot, but again it might be expensive. If the restaurant hires good wait staff they should be versed in wine also. If there is any chance you migh like a full bottle of wine (3 or 4 glasses per bottle) then I would got to Trader Joes or a local wine shop and get something nice like the two brands I mentioned (Rodney Strong, Flora Springs, and Grgich Hills are good too) and just pay the corkage fee, usually between $7 and $15, but it will save you money because if you buy a $50 bottle of wine at the shop the same bottle will be sold at the restaurant for just about double the price. Now of course we like to keep he wine guys in business (my dad is in wine sales) but sometimes it really does make sense to byob. Vintage wise 2005 is probably going to be a reasonably priced year, if not hen 2006 or 2007 would be a good bet. Also Costco has some great wines, including CHW Wines which y dad sells here, but no clue of they are in IL Costcos or not.