PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - Charitable donation

BabbyO
12-06-2011, 03:23 PM
So this year instead of adopting a family for Christmas our office is collecting baby items since we have an infant mortality rate similar to 3rd world countries.

I've donated diapers, but we were given MANY clothes for DS2 that we'll never get to use (wrong size/season, or we just have too many already).

Specifically I was given a big, warm bunting, well several. I didn't get a gift receipt for one and I KNOW we won't use it. It is beautiful, BUT...

...I'm hesitant to donate it because I'm afraid people will put it on their baby, then put the baby in the car seat.

Is this a dumb reason to not donate it? It could keep a child VERY warm...which is also an important thing since we're already in the mid to low 20's every night here.

WWYD...donate it or not?

BabyBearsMom
12-06-2011, 03:36 PM
I would still donate it. You have no way of controlling what people will do with a product once you sell or donate it. But for a family having trouble affording their electric bills, a bunting like that could be a literal life saver.

wellyes
12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Assume the best about the people you're donating to. Bunting does not = car seat misuse and death. Bunting keeps babies warm and lets them experience the outside in winter. I purchased bunting for DS. I'd be so grateful to recieve some if I couldn't afford to buy it.

BabbyO
12-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for weighing in. That's sorta what I was thinking but I've seen a lot of babies around here in carseats with big heavy buntings and it makes me cringe.

Like you both said, though, a nice warm bunting could be a life saver, though, or at least allow a child to experience the outdoors.

echoesofspring
12-06-2011, 05:32 PM
You could attach a note on it gently reminding the recipient not to use it in a car seat....