PDA

View Full Version : Can we do a thread about something great that your kids did?

BabyBearsMom
12-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm in a crummy mood today (rain + rude people = grumpy mommy!) and I want to focus on some positive things. Any cute kiddie stories out there?

My proud/happy moments at the moment are:
1) DD is officially pacifier free and even took a good long paci-less nap at daycare yesterday.
2) DD loves the Christmas tree, pets it and calls it "Kitty"
3) DD was walking the dog with me the other day and scolded our dog for not peepeeing in the potty. I about fell over laughing. We haven't even started potty training yet!

lizzywednesday
12-06-2011, 03:46 PM
DD has been really "huggy" lately and she runs over to me when I get home from work to hug my knees.

She's also really interested in using the Swiffer mop ... so I think I'm going to let her. (One of my friends said she & her DH have taken a piece out of theirs to make it more proportional for their DD and I think I will do the same thing for mine.)

brittone2
12-06-2011, 03:51 PM
I was going to say hugging too...DS2 has really learned how to hug now, and spent 15 mins this afternoon running from family member to family member to give hugs. Nothing like a sweet baby hug :heartbeat:

Lizzy-all of my kids have enjoyed the swiffer w/ one section removed. DS2 loves the dustbuster, swiffer, small child sized broom, etc.

gatorsmom
12-06-2011, 03:55 PM
My stories are cute and funny. Things my kids have said lately:

Sisi, said while we were decorating the Christmas tree: "Mom, we are going to have the funnest tree ever!"

Green bean: "Mom, I think the Christmas tree is growing!"

ChaCha's response when I asked him what he wanted for Xmas: "Lots of big Lego sets; A shiny,satin, hip-hop, rapper-type, warm-up suit; a Jack Sparrow wig; a fake, stuffed me to trick Gator into thinking I'm there when I'm not."

zoestargrove
12-06-2011, 04:00 PM
7yo ds told me yesterday morning he wished he didn't have school so he could snuggle me all day long.

8yo ds is having fun sneaking away to work on the handmade present he's making for his brother for Christmas.

zoestargrove
12-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I love LOVE LOVE cha cha's christmas list this year!!

hillview
12-06-2011, 04:11 PM
My boys have been put on notice. DH is away and they are not sleeping well (so neither am I) and I am more of a hard ass vs DH. DS1 has been SOOOO cooperative lately. Listening, using his manners, helping out with things. DS2 is a piece of work but he has wanted to snuggle a lot and gives me loads of kisses (when not saying "stupid mommy" because I don't let him play with the broken glass bowl... )

HonoluluMom
12-06-2011, 04:14 PM
DD rubs my back when I say it's sore. :love2:

Binkandabee
12-06-2011, 04:16 PM
DD#2 brings me flowers (sometimes a flower, sometimes a weed, sometimes a leaf) she picks from the playground every single day. Her teacher tells me she holds onto her picked treasure for me all day long. She literally can't wait to give it to me when I arrive to pick her up from daycare. I love that she does this!

We've been considering getting a cat, but with my asthma I've been concerned whether I can take the cat fur in the house. On her free time at school yesterday, DD#1 checked out a cat encyclopedia and wrote out a lengthy list of the short haired cats that I should consider. Cracked me up! This list was 26 cat breeds long.

And finally, last night DD#2 tells me "Mommy I love to eat ham, but not Bethlehem".

marie
12-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Completely unprompted at last week's piano lesson, DD1 asked her piano teacher if she could learn Happy Birthday and play it for DD2 at her party.

DD2 asked Santa for a "Hannukah game." (we're not Jewish.)

Yesterday, DD2 was pushing Bitty in her stroller and said she is going to work. DD2 asked her what she does for work. DD2 replied "I work at an amusement park opening all of the rides. I get to take my baby with me." (I don't know why it cracked me up but it did!)

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Sprog and I are home sick together today. At this moment, she's sitting on the floor with dh's Cat in the Hat doll. We got out her infant sized thirsties diaper wraps and she's been "changing" kitty for about 20 minutes.

Monologue: "you need changing, you are poopy, here is doctor cream, bottom feel good, you need wipe, uh oh pee..."

Oh and the awesommest: yesterday we had a doctor appt for her horrible infected diaper rash. Sprog made her doctor say "NO MORE MONKIES JUMPING ON THE BED" before she'd let her touch her. I was so proud!

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Ummmm....she is now taking kitty's rectal temp. Where's the video camera???

Eta: she just requested and received the "forehead temperature" (aka temporal thermometer). I think the kitty feels much better about things now. :)

lizzywednesday
12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
I was going to say hugging too...DS2 has really learned how to hug now, and spent 15 mins this afternoon running from family member to family member to give hugs. Nothing like a sweet baby hug :heartbeat:

Lizzy-all of my kids have enjoyed the swiffer w/ one section removed. DS2 loves the dustbuster, swiffer, small child sized broom, etc.

I remember my brothers and sister loving various cleaning supplies when they were babies, too. It just cracks me up beyond all belief, though. So much that I shot video of it & posted it to Facebook.

Oh well; might as well let her do it since she likes it so much, right?

And I totally agree - there's NOTHING like a sweet baby hug. (DD has learned what "give Daddy a kiss" means, too, which just melts DH's heart!)

happymom
12-06-2011, 04:32 PM
The other day I dropped a glass jar of olives and it shattered all over the floor. I told DD to stay out of the kitchen while i cleaned it up. She stood at the door saying, "Be careful Mommy! Be careful!" Followed by (in a very serious voice) "Mommy, don't ever do that again."

Oh, and yesterday, DH was on the computer. DD says, "What are you doing, checking your email? Checking your email on YAHOO?" He was floored. They absorb everything!!!!

ourbabygirl
12-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Your kids are cracking me up! :D
DD (3) does a lot of sweet stuff but of course I can't remember the particulars, but one funny thing she did yesterday was in the bathroom.
She still asks for help after going potty, so I came in to make sure she had wiped, etc. The toilet paper was stuck in a little wad at the top of (between) her butt cheeks (sorry if TMI), and she said "Look, Mommy, I'm a bunny rabbit! That's my white tail!" :ROTFLMAO:

marymoo86
12-06-2011, 04:46 PM
DD had started blowing kisses and blew me a kiss bye bye today! :heartbeat:

luckytwenty
12-06-2011, 04:52 PM
My 8 year-old son will just randomly blurt out, "You're a really nice Mommy." And throw his arms around me. (And not ask me for anything afterwards, either.) I am really proud that he is so affectionate and so adorable. He did a hilarious Thanksgiving project in school that was a short story about an "athletic turkey" who was a great baseball pitcher and "very handsome even though he always had a sweaty forehead."

My 6 year-old daughter is a big fan of the words "extremely" and "of course." She said, "Of course I love you extremely much."

My 13 month old waves his arms and starts squealing when he sees me walk in the door at daycare. When I say "kiss Mommy" he slobbers all over my nose.

boolady
12-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Not particularly spectacular, I'm sure, but DD had her slightly belated 5 y/o well visit today, and on the way there, she and I had a discussion about being quiet when I needed to talk to the dr. and not interrupting, because the last time we were there, DD just would not stop interrupting and talking and carrying on. I think she does this when she's nervous, but it was to the point of being really embarassing.

Well, she came through. She was very well-behaved, let me speak to the dr. about a few things, and told the dr. that her favorite thing to play was "play outside all day" (some of the other things she might have said were racing through my head).

Also, although she has no idea, I was super-proud of her negotiating skills. The nurse told her that she would get a lollipop (I know, I know) after getting her shots, so when DD asked how many shots, and the nurse said 2, DD said, "Well, shouldn't I get a lollipop for each shot?" She left with two, little stinker. :love5:

Raidra
12-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Last night, in the car, Fiona says, "Mommy, guess what hit my vulva?" Obviously, I was a bit flummoxed. She answered, "A fart!" Lots of giggling (from all six of us) followed.

Poor Colwyn had three teeth pulled at the dentist's office today. When he came out, he was still pretty loopy, and then we had to wait for Lachlann to have his cleaning. He told me that getting his teeth pulled was 'very exciting' and when I returned from taking Fiona to the bathroom, he yelled, "Yay!" It was also very hard to understand him, as he refused to take the cotton out of his mouth.

In church on Sunday, Niall was sitting with us during the sermon. The minister said something mildly funny, and a bunch of people chuckled. Well, Niall's response to anything that sounds remotely like laughter is to laugh as loudly and as long as he can. He got more laughs than the original joke.

Raidra
12-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Ummmm....she is now taking kitty's rectal temp. Where's the video camera???

Eta: she just requested and received the "forehead temperature" (aka temporal thermometer). I think the kitty feels much better about things now. :)

Yikes. I was reading these from the bottom up, so I didn't realize the kitty was a stuffed animal. I'm thinking.. "Why are you letting her do that to your poor cat!?!"

lmh2402
12-06-2011, 05:02 PM
leading up to Thanksgiving, when DS would watch "his show" after dinner - he would always pick Ni Hao Kai Lan on Noggin. and they have little character in between shows - it's a moose that talks about seasonally appropriate things, etc. and of course, for a week or so before thanksgiving, it talked about things to be thankful for.

and one day i heard DS talking back - the moose said, "what are you thankful for?" and DS said, "i thanking my mama and daddy - i love them. and (dog) too." :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

i almost fell on the floor. i just assumed that he wasn't really listening or processing these little random segments. i'm sure he probably talked about being thankful for your family at nursery school, so he likely took it from there. but it was still awesome.

elephantmeg
12-06-2011, 05:03 PM
DS is really blossoming in K. He told me the other day "I love you soooooo much, thanks for going on my field trip!"

amldaley
12-06-2011, 05:03 PM
DH has been away now for 9 days and it feels like 9 weeks. DD and I had a very rough go of it the first few days and I actually ended up spanking her, which I am angry with myself about. But somehow, the next day and every day since, she has become more and more helpful.

She is still having typical 3 year old tantrums but I can tell that they are genuine developmental tantrums and not bratty, defiant outbursts.

She hugs and kisses my tummy, learned to brush her own hair (HUGE deal since she HATES having her hair brushed), allowed me to wash her hair with minimal screaming, told me it was OK when I burned dinner, and had NO wet accidents two days in a row!

She refused to stay in her room at nap time Sunday but did not grouse at me when I told her that she could not go to the park b/c she did not follow the rules, etc. She was SOOOOO good that whole afternoon and was so clearly lonely for playmates that I told her we were going to to the store and I took her to the park instead. She was soooooo good at the park and made friends with a little girl who is the same age as she is but was not as versed at playground play as DD is.

I seriously have been in awe of how sweet and helpful and respectful she has been and it has really made dealing with DH being gone so much easier.

ETA: I needed this thread - thanks, OP!

amldaley
12-06-2011, 05:08 PM
ummmm....she is now taking kitty's rectal temp. Where's the video camera???

Eta: She just requested and received the "forehead temperature" (aka temporal thermometer). I think the kitty feels much better about things now. :)

where is the "like" button!!!!!!!????????

amldaley
12-06-2011, 05:12 PM

REMOVE a section? :duh: Poor DD runs around all over with that thing and I never thought to shorten it for her!

mjs64
12-06-2011, 05:17 PM
9.5 mo old DS dances (pulls up and bounces) whenever we turn on music! :bouncy:

KLD313
12-06-2011, 05:29 PM
My 14 mo old took three steps today. She was so happy and was smiling and laughing. Adorable!

BabbyO
12-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Sprog and I are home sick together today. At this moment, she's sitting on the floor with dh's Cat in the Hat doll. We got out her infant sized thirsties diaper wraps and she's been "changing" kitty for about 20 minutes.

Monologue: "you need changing, you are poopy, here is doctor cream, bottom feel good, you need wipe, uh oh pee..."

Oh and the awesommest: yesterday we had a doctor appt for her horrible infected diaper rash. Sprog made her doctor say "NO MORE MONKIES JUMPING ON THE BED" before she'd let her touch her. I was so proud!

I almost snorted hummus out of my nose at this...that is impressive!

My kiddos fun things...

DH usually works from home. I went back to work at the end of last week and DH will be taking a 2 week family leave to stay with the boys. Since last Thursday, DS1 has been packing up his Thomas the train bag with all sorts of things and his play laptop. Then he'll announce, "I'm leaving." When he gets to his bedroom or the livingroom or wherever, he pulls out his play laptop, gets his water bottle and puts his laptop on his lap, opens it and announces, "I'm wookin!"

Cracks us up since I always pack a bag and leave for work, and DH always sits with his bottle of water and laptop when he works.

DS1 cooks for us in his play kitchen all the time.

DS1 told me the night before I went to work, "Mama, don't be sad." Then when I got home from work the first night, he hugged me and said, "Mama, I was worried about you." How sweet for a 2.5 yo!

I asked DS1 what he wanted to get DS2 for Christmas. He ran into his room and grabbed his lambie blanket and came back to give it to his brother. This is his FAVORITE lovey. I told him he could keep his lambie and we would get a new one for DS2. DS1 is SO excited and tells everyone what he's getting his baby brother.

DS2...smiles in his sleep...still one of the sweetest things to see.

sste
12-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Well DD is seriously BabyAdvanced - - she is 14 months and has over 30 words! This is such a change for me after DS. You can really communicate with her now and she has such a spirit and sense of humor.

For DS this moment struck me: All the kids in his preschool wrote on a paper feather what they were thankful for and then it was taped to a big construction paper turkey that went on the door. I noticed DS's feather said Mommy, Daddy, and DD. Well, DS generally is VERY negative on DD and I asked him why he decided to put being thankful for DD on his feather. He paused and looked so confused and earnest and then said, "You know . . . I just couldn't HELP being thankful for DD." That is love my boy I thought to myself. :)

MamaMolly
12-06-2011, 05:44 PM
I've been trying to get the house unpacked and do fun stuff like the Advent calendar, but we missed a few days. I had let the girls both open a door until today when it was Dolly's turn and her turn only. I started in with how I didn't want to hear Lula whine or pout because it was her sister's turn today. Lula looked me in the eye and totally dead pan said, 'don't worry mom. I can handle it.'

She is sooooooo funny

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Yikes. I was reading these from the bottom up, so I didn't realize the kitty was a stuffed animal. I'm thinking.. "Why are you letting her do that to your poor cat!?!"

Oh dear, no that would not be "great" in the least.

Hurray for the bouncing dancing baby! That was my favorite thing ever when Sprog was that age.

maestramommy
12-06-2011, 05:48 PM
1) Dora is an awesome big sister. A lot of times she gives in to her younger sisters to keep the peace. She offers to read Laurel a story to get her out of my hair when I'm making dinner.

2) Arwyn has progressed from drawing disembodied heads with spider limbs to actual people, in 2 months! In September she was always asking me to draw ballerinas, now she draws them herself.

3) Laurel's speech development is terrifying. Yesterday she was making her toy make weird noises. When I said, "Laurel why are you doing that?" she said, "Because it's funny!" Last night I told her Arwyn was passing on her jammies to her, she said, "Oh! Arwyn are you giving 'em to ME??" When Arwyn said yes, she said, "Oh, thank you!"

MelissaTC
12-06-2011, 10:28 PM
M just played the clarinet in his first band concert. He played perfectly, was concerned about smelling nice for the girls and rocked his bowtie. I am so proud!!

lalasmama
12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Uno-mom, Sprog has an AWESOME doctor--I think we may need to see if we can get DD's doctor to sing it with her now :)

DD's great things first:

She cut off 10 inches of her hair to donate to Pantene Beautiful Lengths. Then at school on Monday, she wrote about it for her "weekend news"--and managed to write a whole page and a half! (Much longer than her normal 5-6 lines).

Oh, and she learned how to spell Wednesday. Let's be fair--MANY adults have a hard time with that, and she just rattles it off now :)

As for funny...

We had missionaries at church on Sunday. They showed their school/mission field in Africa, and happened to have video of a teen getting baptized. She's never seen a baptism before. She turns to me and seriously says, "I won't ever let them try to drown me in the river like that!" I had to control my laughter so hard, because she was serious, and couldn't figure out why in the world they had video of something so terrible!

She's using the word "interesting" a lot. And she'll say it about anything that isn't how we do something. "Mom, Mrs Smith's cat comes through their cat door. Isn't that interesting?" And, she still mixes up serious and curious, so often I hear, "Mom, I'm serious about why the sky is blue" or "Mom, I'm curious! It really hurt when I stubbed my toe!"

weech
12-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Tonight, DH and I were putting DS to bed in his room. Once DH put him in his crib, he put his binky in his mouth :bag, said "clip it!" so we would clip it to his jammies, and sat down. Then he proceeded to cover himself very neatly with his blanket, requested his nightly reading material (The Very Hungry Caterpillar), laid down and opened up his book and said "bye bye" and waved with a huge smile on his face.

In other words, "get out and turn the light off! It's my bedtime!" :hysterical: :heartbeat:

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
This thread makes me long for a LIKE button! Our kids are the best. All of 'em. :love-retry:

nfowife
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Lots of little things, but last week I flew home with my kids from visiting the IL's over Thanksgiving. DH had gone back a few days before to get back to work but I stayed longer because we saved like $1000+ by flying back after the holiday rush. And to save more money we flew into Dallas and drove home (3+ hour drive). I was dreading it.
I woke up at 4:30 to get ready and finish packing.
Woke the kids at 5:30 to get dressed and in the car.
Flight took off at 7:30 and we landed at 9:30 (and gained an hour on the flight, it was 3 hours).
Then it took about 90 minutes to get our luggage and get to the car and on our way home.
We arrived home at 2:15. It was a long day! And my kids were complete ANGELS. All of them. No one cried, or whined. Not even DS who had to sit across the aisle from us next to a stranger on the flight. It was awesome!!!
I don't know what caused it, but I am soooo thankful for how good they were that day. I can't stop talking about how good they were for me. Even the baby!!

jenstring95
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
My DC (6 and 4) spent the better part of Sunday morning making Christmas presents...for the dog. DS traced her food bowl and cut out paper bones to put in and around it. DC then wrapped the projects and made our dog open them (she loves unwrapping presents; we can't wrap presents early and leave them under the tree because she opens them). The poor dog was confused, though, when there was only paper inside and no treats or toys. :rotflmao:

stefani
12-06-2011, 11:44 PM
For his journal, DS wrote "I am thankful for my parents. ... ... They even love me. Mostly. ... ...."

Yeah, we love him. Mostly. :hysterical:

MamaKath
12-06-2011, 11:44 PM
I got told "I love you mom-let!" by ds tonight. When I asked if a mom-let was like an omelet I was told "no, it is like a great mom but snuggles more.". Ah, the sweet love of a child!!!! :)

♥ms.pacman♥
12-07-2011, 12:01 AM
these are adorable.

-both kids took 3 hour naps today, at the same time. :applause: DD woke up a few times but was able to soothe herself back to sleep. was so great, i needed the rest!
-when waking up from her nap today, the first thing DD said was "mama." She never really babbles or makes consonant sounds, so this was awesome! I'm sure she doesn't really mean the word "mama" she is just making the sounds, but still..huge for her!!
-DS is starting to speak so well. He uses pronouns, articles, adjectives, even uses past tense correctly. It's really noticeable bc he's at the age where he is basically thinking out loud all the time! When he is looking for a toy he says "I am looking for [train name]. Hmmm, where is it? Hmmm. Maybe it's in the bathroom?" and he will run off looking for it. Today after getting out of the bath and going to his room, DS said "It's really cold in here!" Then when taking him to his closet to choose a sleeper PJ, he grabbed one with trucks on it and said "Let's try trucks!!" The other day when i was cooking dinner and i got kinda messy while chopping onions, DS later pointed out "Mommy dropped onions on the floor. Mommy messed up." :rotflmao: DH & I joke that we really really really have to watch what we say now!! He repeats everything!!

tiapam
12-07-2011, 01:08 AM
DD has been doing really well in reading and writing up a storm, including letters to her brother that say she likes him, but wants him to be nicer.

I was also beyond thrilled yesterday when we had her well checkup and the doc noted that she had not had a sick visit in over two years. To be fair, I am slow to take them to the doc, because he is not inclined to prescribe or do much of anything for every little thing anyway. So she has been sick, but not very. I have my own health issues, so this at least made me feel good about how things are going with her.

kijip
12-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Ts great thing recently was losing horribly at chess to a new friend. Chess is normally something he wins against other kids and some adults. In fact, he had never lost before to a kid. Instead of getting grumpy, he asked the child for tips on how to play better! I was so happy he did something social instead of getting mad. Also, he is patiently teaching a different friend, one who is new to chess, how to play and showing him how to win, not just beating the pants off him.

Fs great thing is memorizing all the names of dinosaurs and declaring that he is a "palontologist" He digs in the couch for his dinosaurs. :rotflmao:

kwc
12-07-2011, 01:52 AM
DD (age 8) is incredibly patient and sweet to my mom who had a severe stroke this summer and is now paralyzed on one side and has memory, mood, speech and overall cognitive issues. DD was the first grandchild, and we live next door to my parents and they were so so close... I know that she is sad and mourning the loss of her relationship with my mom (as we all are) but it rarely shows. I get very frustrated working with my mom but DD is so patient. While last year my mom used to teach DD how to play piano, DD will now try to teach her or play one handed duets with my mom (who is making it up) as my mom's rehab or for cognitive stimulation. DD will play the "Can Can" song over and over again because my mom likes to hum to it and sometimes will try to move her paralyzed leg in time to the music.

This weekend, we were shopping for our church's Angel Tree and to my surprise, DS (5) did not fall apart when I declined to buy him anything at the toy store when we bought the presents for "children who might not get any presents." After we walked by a jewelry store, he said, "Mama, you could buy some jewelry and you could be even prettier. But you don't NEED it, and you wouldn't ever have to get it, only if you wanted to." This was a week after he said, "Mama, you should wear makeup... you could be pretty if you wore makeup." and I strongly told him that he should never tell any woman/ girl (mom, sister, girlfriend) that she "could be pretty IF" she did so and so... so he's _slowly_ learning. Don't let yourself think that a man can't change his ways... ;)

Meanwhile, DD, who sometimes struggles with hoarding/ generosity, offered to pay for the Angel Tree gifts with her own money. DS offered his own money but he didn't have it... ha!

MissyAg94
12-07-2011, 10:38 AM
DD (6) was great when we told her that we had to cancel our trip to Disney. We were supposed to leave this Saturday. She has been looking forward to this trip for weeks but she cried for like 10 seconds and moved on.

Raidra
12-07-2011, 11:43 AM
I've got another one. The other night, we were trying to get Niall to say everyone's names. He's a bit behind on expressive language, but his receptive is great, and he signs pretty well. So I asked him to say my sister's boyfriend's name (they're temporarily living with us, so Niall knows who he is). Niall looked thoughtful for a minute, then scratched his chin. Her boyfriend has a beard that Niall likes to play with.. my 18 month old invented his own sign for someone's name. :)

lizzywednesday
12-07-2011, 12:53 PM
REMOVE a section? :duh: Poor DD runs around all over with that thing and I never thought to shorten it for her!

Yeah, just unscrew the top and take out one section and it's MUCH less likely to knock things over.

If my friend hadn't suggested it, I'd never have thought to do it!

(I took a section out last night. Now it's the perfect size for DD. She mopped the floor in the living room before bed. Really.)