PDA

View Full Version : Developmental ? When do kids read names?

lmr1101
12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm just curious...
What is the average age for kids to be able to read their own name and their friend's names? I guess it would probably be more that they are sight reading their name.
Also at what age are kids usually able to spell their name?

My husband was at daycare pickup yesterday and let's just say there was an "interesting" conversation going on among other parents :)

wellyes
12-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Based on what I've seen, in the 3s to read their own, in the 4s to read others.
DD can spell her name but I'm sure it's by rote.

ourbabygirl
12-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Not sure, as DD is our first and I don't have much experience with this age, but she turned 3 in Oct. and has been able to read and spell her name for at least a few months. She can't read anything else, though- knows that her brother's name starts with a T and Daddy's starts with a J, so if she sees a word that starts with those, sometimes she'll ask if it's T_____ or Daddy. :)

egoldber
12-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Older DD was 4 when she could recognize her own name. I really don't know when she could recognize her friend's names.

Younger DD was 3. She knew many of friends names at that age as well. At 4 I would say she knew all the names of the kids in her class. But her experience was very different from older DD's because she has been in full time child care with many of these kids for years and has the opportunity to see their names in many different circumstances all day every day. Some of them for 3 years now.

mommylamb
12-06-2011, 03:53 PM
DS doesn't have a ton of letters in his name and was quick with learning letters. He could recognize his own name around the time he turned 2. Now, it was totally recognition and not reading in any phonetic sense. By the time he was 2.5 to 3 he could recognize the names of all the kids in his daycare very easily (but it was a small home daycare).

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Sprog recognizes hers by sight but I think it's just the first two letters that she knows because when she sees that combination (it's a common suffix) she says that's her name. She spells it sometimes but since it's to.the tune of BINGO, I'm pretty sure it's just rote.

I'm really curious.about that conversation. Were they comparing kids?

boolady
12-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Younger DD was 3. She knew many of friends names at that age as well. At 4 I would say she knew all the names of the kids in her class. But her experience was very different from older DD's because she has been in full time child care with many of these kids for years and has the opportunity to see their names in many different circumstances all day every day. Some of them for 3 years now.

:yeahthat: These were the ages for DD as well. I think a lot of it is sight recognition based on repetition, not true reading.

I also don't know what your DH heard, but I'd also keep in mind that it may not have been entirely accurate as to ability if it was a "well, my kid..." conversation.

kijip
12-06-2011, 04:00 PM
T did at 19 months but was basically hyperlexic (able to read without being taught to read). He is now identified as having high functioning Autism (HFA) so I don't think that was even vaguely typical. And frankly, for all the issues that accompanied the early reading for T, I was VERY happy when it was clear that F was not an early reader.

F is not hyperlexic but he gets his name now at almost 3. But T has taught him to read his name by rote basically. I would say 3-4 is what I see most often and seems developmentally normal (not a sign of early reading).

hillview
12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
I would say 3-4 is what I see most often and seems developmentally normal (not a sign of early reading).
:yeahthat:

lmr1101
12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all of the responses already.

Uno-Mom: Yes, they were comparing kids - each one trying to "brag" more than the other he said!
Luckily my husband wasn't involved with the conversation. He said he just got a good laugh as he was getting our dd.
The funny thing is our dd has been able to recognize her first and last name for months and can also spell both, something these other kids aren't yet doing. The other parents probably would not have been pleased if my husband joined that conversation. ;)

I should also add, that I'm pretty sure my dd is doing this from recognition - not reading as most others have pointed out.

BooLady: You are exactly correct, the conversation was not at all acurate to ability - it seemed more about parents trying to "one-up"each other.

lucybabymamma
12-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Probably about late 2s would be earliest I would think…and anytime after that based on a child's interest and exposure.

For most kids they'll learn it when they are ready – at first as a sight word, then later the actual letters that make up their name. Once children start to realize those funny squiggles are letters, and that those letters mean something, they really want to learn their names because it's interesting and helpful.

lucybabymamma
12-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all of the responses already.

Uno-Mom: Yes, they were comparing kids - each one trying to "brag" more than the other he said!
Luckily my husband wasn't involved with the conversation. He said he just got a good laugh as he was getting our dd.
The funny thing is our dd has been able to recognize her first and last name for months and can also spell both, something these other kids aren't yet doing. The other parents probably would not have been pleased if my husband joined that conversation. ;)

I should also add, that I'm pretty sure my dd is doing this from recognition - not reading as most others have pointed out.

BooLady: You are exactly correct, the conversation was not at all acurate to ability - it seemed more about parents trying to "one-up"each other.

Yup! As a former elementary school teacher I have found it really doesn't make a huge difference in the long run if kids are "reading" before kindergarten. Enjoying and talking about books is just as good as being able to read the words. Yes, it’s awesome if they can do it and are enjoying it, but as children enter school they usually catch up or plateau – can’t tell you how many parents were convinced their child was gifted because they were already reading in preschool, but then by 3rd grade or so most kids have caught up:) Those parents that like to brag are pretty disappointed when this happens….

Melaine
12-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I gotta say....the bragging on your kids early "skills" thing is totally bizarre and foreign to me....I just don't get it?

vonfirmath
12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't know exactly. Somewhere between 2 and 3. I have a cherished Mother's Day card when he was not yet 3 that he'd scrawled his name on. (It was the OnLY word he could write for a while) -- okay, his nickname. 4 letters. But it is what we call him the most.

boolady
12-06-2011, 04:28 PM
I gotta say....the bragging on your kids early "skills" thing is totally bizarre and foreign to me....I just don't get it?

I don't either, since, as a bunch of PPs note, it really doesn't mean much of anything. And even if it does, what do other people care?

wellyes
12-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Maybe it's not bragging, maybe it's just talking about their kids. "DS is obsessed with writing his letters, is always asking me how to spell things" is not really different than "DS loves everything about superheros and won't go to bed without his spiderman PJs" -- but the first one sounds like bragging and the second one doesn't. Both are just kids being kids, exploring ideas.

kijip
12-06-2011, 04:35 PM
but then by 3rd grade or so most kids have caught up:)

I don't doubt this, but there is a flip side to it. If the schools don't teach much additional for the kids who are reading in K, it is really no wonder the kids are at the same level by 3rd grade. T was so bored by 1st grade, we had to move him out of school. His current grade level of work 3rd by age but 2-4 years ahead in most every subject. Most grade schools are a lousy place for accelerated kids to be. And trying to get your kids needs met is frequently lumped in with bragging. It is a tough spot to be in to have a kid who needs to work at a higher level of acceleration than the school can offer. I am so happy for Fs sake that he is not where T was academically before school starts.

AnnieW625
12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Based on what I've seen, in the 3s to read their own, in the 4s to read others.
DD can spell her name but I'm sure it's by rote.

:yeahthat: that was our experience with DD1.

If it matters any DD1 can read Biscuit, which is really more about memorization than anything else. She could not read prior to kindergarten and I didn't push her too either. Some kids are good at things that others aren't and IMHO that is life. Now the kids on those my baby can read ads that is crazy.

kijip
12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Maybe it's not bragging, maybe it's just talking about their kids. "DS is obsessed with writing his letters, is always asking me how to spell things" is not really different than "DS loves everything about superheros and won't go to bed without his spiderman PJs" -- but the first one sounds like bragging and the second one doesn't. Both are just kids being kids, exploring ideas.
:yeahthat:

boolady
12-06-2011, 04:47 PM

While there is certainly lots of earnest discussions like you're talking about, because I'm sure I talk about DD that way to, to friends at least, there are also certain people who are clearly just worried about one-upping whatever someone else has to say. When I see a conversation headed that way, I just try to find a way out.

lmr1101
12-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by wellyes

You have a very good point. I've never thought of it this way. Also since I wasn't there to hear the conversation I'll never know the parents true motives.

amldaley
12-06-2011, 04:56 PM
DD recognized her own name & her best friends name around 2.5 but I don't think that was reading....I think she was so used to seeing it written on everything at daycare that she learned that it said her name.

lmh2402
12-06-2011, 04:56 PM

:yeahthat: i think i'm kind of sensitive to this b/c i LITERALLY have uttered those exact words

and i will be honest, i'm usually saying them with some hope that other parents will chime in with "yeah, my kid too..." b/c i'm desperately looking for things i find to be a bit "odd" about my DS...to maybe not be so odd after all.

we spend most of our conversations spelling out loud these days. how embarrassing that i have gotten caught having to really think before i spell "genie"...

it's exhausting. and it's scary to feel like maybe your kid is different in a way that might be indicative of some other "larger" issue.

just putting that out there

as for answer to the original question, DS could spell his name out loud, and with fridge magnets/recognize it from about 20 months. in fact, our OTs are still working on teaching him how to introduce himself – if you ask him to tell someone his name, he doesn’t say it, he spells it. however, he still cannot write letters.

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 04:57 PM
There is this weird double-standard, which i hate, and it gets kids either way when people.start labeling. My daughter is barely 2 and is scarily good with language. But she has little friends who have accomplished the most amazing physical and spacial feats - things she can't even attempt! Heck, things I'm scared to attempt!

I can already see that her teachers are trying to label her "gifted" as opposed to those other kids. I don't think her skills are any more amazing than what those other kids can do. I really don't. We are making no attempt to teach her reading or spelling, it's just what she's into. I expect things to even out, as said above.

And on the flip side, I do feel self-conscious like people think we're bragging when we chat about some joke she cracked or tried to spell. I wish there wasn't this perceived competition - it's stupid. :( And labeling kids gifted or not gifted at age one makes me feel ill.

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Lmh2402- I think sometimes people unfairly link word skills wih maturity, so their social expectations are out of whack for our verbal kids. Are 2.5 year olds expected to be able to introduce themselves skillfully?

It's tough sometimes. A couple weeks ago, Sprog said "fix this, it's brake-en" and I replied "oh, is it broken?". I was surprised at the grammatical error. Then I cought myself: wait...she's not even two yet. She's not "supposed" to be be speaking in complex sentences, let alone conjugating verbs flawlessly!

I do know.what you mean, though. I think a lot of parents here do.

lmh2402
12-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Lmh2402- I think sometimes people unfairly link word skills wih maturity, so their social expectations are out of whack for our verbal kids. Are 2.5 year olds expected to be able to introduce themselves skillfully?

i think their point/issue is that if someone says, "hi, what's your name?" it's not a typical response for someone to spell their name back, rather than say it out loud.

we're not sure if it's habit, chicken-and-egg, who knows. but if you ask his name. he doesn't tell you his name. he spells it.

that's...weird, for lack of a better word.

they try hard in their sessions to redirect or ignore his requests for any/all things letters. they push random interaction with other kids/clients, so he is asked at least once each session to "introduce himself" to another kid - as in, "(DS), this is X. he's my friend. can you tell him your name"

so he can practice saying his name, rather than spelling it out.

amldaley
12-06-2011, 05:23 PM
There is this weird double-standard, which i hate, and it gets kids either way when people.start labeling. My daughter is barely 2 and is scarily good with language. But she has little friends who have accomplished the most amazing physical and spacial feats - things she can't even attempt! Heck, things I'm scared to attempt!

I can already see that her teachers are trying to label her "gifted" as opposed to those other kids. I don't think her skills are any more amazing than what those other kids can do. I really don't. We are making no attempt to teach her reading or spelling, it's just what she's into. I expect things to even out, as said above.

And on the flip side, I do feel self-conscious like people think we're bragging when we chat about some joke she cracked or tried to spell. I wish there wasn't this perceived competition - it's stupid. :( And labeling kids gifted or not gifted at age one makes me feel ill.

WELL SAID. Sure, DD is off the charts verbally. But she chipped a tooth falling, had major bruising on her legs, and was behind up until recently for all things gross motor skills. It is so unfair to compare and label them at this age. What matters is if they all catch up to each other down the road.

kijip
12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
WELL SAID. Sure, DD is off the charts verbally. But she chipped a tooth falling, had major bruising on her legs, and was behind up until recently for all things gross motor skills. It is so unfair to compare and label them at this age. What matters is if they all catch up to each other down the road.

I totally agree with part of this. While T can read far beyond his years, do reports on topics like a middle schooler and grasp math and computer programming topics that many high schooler can not understand, he still despite much effort, sucks at tying his shoes. He is the slowest runner that you have ever met. He just now got his training wheels off his bike and is still a wobbly rider. He can not sing a single note. He is very much a typical 8 year old in most ways. However, we have lots of cultural opportunities to celebrate the gifted dancers and athletes and runners. We tease the hell out of best math kids.

And while the important thing is that they all get to a solid age appropriate baseline skill set, I don't think it any more reasonable to assume that we all catch up with the best readers or the best mathematicians than it is reasonable to assume that we all catch up with the best runners or the best singers or the best hockey players. And some of what makes people excel certainly manifests itself at a fairly young age.

edurnemk
12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
I think DS could recognize his name at 2.5 yo or shortly before turning 3 (he's been fascinated by letters since around 20 months and could recognize them all by 22 months so we've been playing with letters and spelling his name for a long time), a few months after that he would see a letter and say "that letter is in X's name" I think that was due to him seeing his classmates' names everyday since they have their names and pictures taped to their table at preschool.

ETA: I just read some of the last responses, and I agree with a lot of what's been said. DS has been ahead in many skills and yet on the lower end of the normal range for others. As a baby I could clearly see he was developing really fast in fine motor and verbal skills, but not as fast in gross motor skills. I think every kid has their "strengths", they're all different and the normal range is VERY wide.

crl
12-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Well, ds' preschool had all the kids "sign in" every morning. So he could write his (very long) first name when he was three--but an older three. I think he was on the late side in his class, but since it was a daily task for all the kids I would think they may have mastered it a bit early on average.

I think he was at least four before he really started recognizing other kid's names. The school that had them sign in also had symbols associated with each kid and they encouraged the kid's to associate the symbols with the names and cubbies and mail boxes.

Catherine

Uno-Mom
12-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Well, ds' preschool had all the kids "sign in" every morning. So he could write his (very long) first name when he was three--but an older three. I think he was on the late side in his class, but since it was a daily task for all the kids I would think they may have mastered it a bit early on average.

I think he was at least four before he really started recognizing other kid's names. The school that had them sign in also had symbols associated with each kid and they encouraged the kid's to associate the symbols with the names and cubbies and mail boxes.

Catherine

Oh hey, that's a good point. I wonder if this is a (totally unimportant) area where daycare kids pick up a trick early - in daycare world there is always something labeled with your name. Sprog has a hook for her coat and also a sitting mat for circle time. Duh... I was wondering where she picked up her name-recognition skills.

egoldber
12-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Oh hey, that's a good point. I wonder if this is a (totally unimportant) area where daycare kids pick up a trick early - in daycare world there is always something labeled with your name.

Yes, this is what I meant above. Since she was a young 2, younger DD has been in a class with many of the same kids where EVERYTHING is labeled. Cubbies, photos in the classroom, artwork, backpacks, etc. And she doesn't see it for a couple hours a day, it's several hours every day.

KrisM
12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
All mine were shortly after 3, when they started preschool. First thing for preschool, is answering the question of the day with the parent. To do that, the child first finds his name among all the tags for the class. DS2 didn't know his at all in Sept. Now, he gets it right quickly.

And, we just tonight practiced the names in our family so that he can start to learn them for Christmas morning. The kids pass out gifts and I want him to be able to this year, too. He did pretty well by focusing on the first letter.

Out loud, he can spell his name, mom, dad, and DD's name. He can't do DS1's name. He can also do his name backwards :).

Melaine
12-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I agree this is definitely a daycare thing....my kids never see their friends names written except maybe on a birthday card or cake so they wouldn't recognize them. Of course, they have been able to recognize their names and family names for a long time because we write them notes, etc. My first thought was why would a toddler recognize a friend's name....I forgot things are different in a classroom setting.

vonfirmath
12-07-2011, 11:07 AM
My son's childcare mommy did have them do worksheets, and wrote their names on the sheet (So they would go home with the right parent) I'm positive that is where he learned it -- watching her write his name over and over.