PDA

View Full Version : Crawling & standing in tub?

mjs64
12-06-2011, 04:13 PM
9.5 month old DS is very mobile. His favorite activity is standing--not pulling up, but standing on his own and wavering back and forth, giggling. Second to that is crawling. He loves doing this in the tub as well as on the floor. He hasn't fallen in the tub yet, but it scares me to death! I don't know how to get him to stay put. I sit him down, but he just gets up and goes again. I already got rid of the infant tub and don't want to go back--he loves the full size tub. He and I both love bath time. I've tried telling him that "we sit during bathtime" but he obviously doesn't understand. Don't want to reinforce a bad habit, but it kills me to stop the bath as soon as he stands. Tips?

hillview
12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Either be in the tub with him and hold onto him or you have to end bath time. 10 months is a little young but at 12 months I would end bath time if the kids stood up 2x. It is a phase.

luckytwenty
12-06-2011, 04:56 PM
OMG, us, too. Bath time just has to take five seconds. He is constantly trying to stand in the tub. I don't mind crawling so much (he's 13 months and I am right there to watch him) but standing is dangerous.

crl
12-06-2011, 05:00 PM
She stands, I tell her to sit and guide her back down. Then I take her out. But she only does this when she actually wants to get out because I am washing her hair and she hates that part. I think you should try ending bath away each time and see if that stops him.

Catherine

mjs64
12-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I think you should try ending bath away each time and see if that stops him.

Oh, but he stands immediately! And he doesn't stand because he wants to get out. He loves the bath, loves when I pour water over his head--laughs like crazy. I've been holding on to him or putting my arms around him. Do we think this is a "phase"? Maybe as hillview said at 12 mo end the bath? It's that he sees the tub as no different than the floor, the grass, etc. Just another interesting place to explore.

luckytwenty
12-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Baths take about a minute because of the standing, which my kid's been doing for two months now. He never sits ANYWHERE. He just has to stand, no matter what. (Though he won't walk yet!). I turn on the water, put the shampoo in his hair then put him in the tub, hold him as he stands, rinse the shampoo out and then he is out of the tub.

crl
12-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Oh, but he stands immediately! And he doesn't stand because he wants to get out. He loves the bath, loves when I pour water over his head--laughs like crazy. I've been holding on to him or putting my arms around him. Do we think this is a "phase"? Maybe as hillview said at 12 mo end the bath? It's that he sees the tub as no different than the floor, the grass, etc. Just another interesting place to explore.

Yeah, I guess I would just hope that since he likes the bath he would catch on that the fun ends as soon as he stands up. I'd try for three or four baths in a row at least and see if the message gets through that standing equals the end of the bath.

Catherine

wellyes
12-06-2011, 05:28 PM
DS stands every bath for 6 months now. Maybe it's wrong of me, but I just go with it. He gets to splash, he gets washed, that counts as a bath to me.