PDA

View Full Version : CL sale 8:30 pm at your home?

KLD313
12-06-2011, 11:16 PM
I have a man from Brooklyn, NY interested in a stroller I'm selling. I'm Western, CT which is about 2 hrs from him. At first he wanted to send me a money order (western union), a box, bubble wrap, tape and a shipping label. Then he wanted to have UPS come and pick it up. I wasn't sure about that but I told him maybe he woukd like to meet at my moms house, she lives much closer. He checks out her address and says ok but the time he can meet is 8:30 pm. I can't be there then and she lives alone. The more Im writing this the more I'm thinking no way. I already know my mom is going to say no way in he!! Would you do the shipping thing?

I spoke with him on the phone if that matters.

ha98ed14
12-06-2011, 11:19 PM
I have a man from Brooklyn, NY interested in a stroller I'm selling. I'm Western, CT which is about 2 hrs from him. At first he wanted to send me a money order (western union), a box, bubble wrap, tape and a shipping label. Then he wanted to have UPS come and pick it up. I wasn't sure about that but I told him maybe he woukd like to meet at my moms house, she lives much closer. He checks out her address and says ok but the time he can meet is 8:30 pm. I can't be there then and she lives alone. The more Im writing this the more I'm thinking no way. I already know my mom is going to say no way in he!! Would you do the shipping thing?

I spoke with him on the phone if that matters.

No. Freaking. Way.

He lives in NYC. Any stroller you have in CT is available in the City. No way. And honestly, I think giving him your mom's address was a mistake if you have him the actual house number. Cross streets is fine, but you are making her very vulnerable if you handed over the street address.

hoodlims
12-06-2011, 11:20 PM
NO. Never. I don't even do CL sales without my hubby home, and they are never in the dark.

crl
12-06-2011, 11:21 PM
No. And I'm not very paranoid about CL buyers. Can he meet you in a public place near your mom's on a weekend during the day?

Catherine

KLD313
12-06-2011, 11:26 PM
No. Freaking. Way.

He lives in NYC. Any stroller you have in CT is available in the City. No way. And honestly, I think giving him your mom's address was a mistake if you have him the actual house number. Cross streets is fine, but you are making her very vulnerable if you handed over the street address.

No way did I give her address.

khm
12-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Money orders on CL are almost always scams. Add in the stuff about shipping, no way. Like PP said, there ain't a stroller out there he can't find in NYC.

KLD313
12-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Would you ship him the stroller if he sent a Western Union money order? I'm not doing the 8:30 thing.

wencit
12-06-2011, 11:28 PM
I personally would stop all contact with this buyer. He sounds completely shady.

LMPC
12-06-2011, 11:28 PM
No. And I'm not very paranoid about CL buyers. Can he meet you in a public place near your mom's on a weekend during the day?

Catherine

This is me. I'd meet him at a mall or something. Not at my house or my mom's...and not after dark. No way!

khm
12-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Would you ship him the stroller if he sent a Western Union money order? I'm not doing the 8:30 thing.

No, I would not. Western Union is a red-flag.

That he is willing to go to such lengths for a stroller is another.

What stroller / price range are we talking? Search is local CL, are they available? Google his #, etc.

KLD313
12-06-2011, 11:35 PM
No, I would not. Western Union is a red-flag.

That he is willing to go to such lengths for a stroller is another.

What stroller / price range are we talking? Search is local CL, are they available? Google his #, etc.

I'm selling a Bugaboo Bee for $225. There are no other Bees on there in that range they're all $ 400 or more. He said he had a Bee and another Bugaboo but his wants this to give to someone because she liked hers. He gave me his business info and it matches the email address he's using.

arivecchi
12-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Sounds like a scam. Ignore this "buyer".

ha98ed14
12-06-2011, 11:38 PM

Oh, sorry. I thought you said he checked out your mom's address...

But no, I would not ship him the stroller. Let's play paranoid: He will need some type of identifying info to send the $, right? So Western Union can identify you. Or when you ship it, he will have your return address b/c UPS makes you put it on the box.

Is the stroller imported from Belgium? Do a search on the Brooklyn and Queens CLs and see if it is available there. Unless you are selling a Bob Duo for $20, I cannot imagine that the cost of the stroller plus shipping will be much less than buying the thing new.

KLD313
12-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Oh, sorry. I thought you said he checked out your mom's address...

But no, I would not ship him the stroller. Let's play paranoid: He will need some type of identifying info to send the $, right? So Western Union can identify you. Or when you ship it, he will have your return address b/c UPS makes you put it on the box.

Is the stroller imported from Belgium? Do a search on the Brooklyn and Queens CLs and see if it is available there. Unless you are selling a Bob Duo for $20, I cannot imagine that the cost of the stroller plus shipping will be much less than buying the thing new.

I gave him an address in her general area for a point of reference.

It's a Bugaboo Bee so they're expensive but idk why he would go through all this either.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-06-2011, 11:49 PM
i'm not a paranoid person, at ALL. but this screams scam, scam, scam. the western union request, the asking you to ship a stroller, asking to meet at night..this guy is trying to scam you. there's a reason on CL they put warnings telling people not to wire money and ship items. i'd ignore this person.

twowhat?
12-06-2011, 11:50 PM
I'd tell him that won't work and see if he pursues working out another plan (meeting somewhere tomorrow, etc) to get the stroller.

I would not ship. I would not do Western Union.

KLD313
12-06-2011, 11:56 PM
I'd tell him that won't work and see if he pursues working out another plan (meeting somewhere tomorrow, etc) to get the stroller.

I would not ship. I would not do Western Union.

That's what I just did. I even told him this sounded like a scam. He actually asked me for times first and then I said I could be flexible and to give me ideas and I would check with my mom. I forgot about that part.

khm
12-06-2011, 11:59 PM
From CL - http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Recognizing scams

Most scams involve one or more of the following:

inquiry from someone far away, often in another country
Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee"
inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consumating transaction

The Western Union and ship-to-me thing is just plain enough of a strike that I'd cease contact. Not worth it, ya know? It's a NICE stroller, someone local will snap it up with less stress and worry.

KLD313
12-07-2011, 12:22 AM
So I said 8:30 is too late now he's saying Sunday at 6:00 or 6:30. It's still dark out. I mean I don't think scammer equals killer so idk what game he's playing by saying he would pick it up BUT I don't really want to find out.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-07-2011, 12:39 AM
So I said 8:30 is too late now he's saying Sunday at 6:00 or 6:30. It's still dark out. I mean I don't think scammer equals killer so idk what game he's playing by saying he would pick it up BUT I don't really want to find out.

oh yeah, i don't think the whole after-dark thing means he's an axe murderer or anything. my take on it is, he's proposing only very undesirable/inconvenient times (Sunday at 6pm is still weird), in order to try to push you to ship the stroller (and scam you). that's just the vibe i'm getting...

khm
12-07-2011, 12:46 AM
You don't owe him an explanation, a stroller or your time. :)

I can't work out that this IS 100% a scam, but the that's how scams work, they are GOOD at hiding gonna-rip-you-off part.

Maybe the cashier's check is fake, which you won't find out until your stroller is gone - he'll resell it in NYC for $400. Seems like a lot of trouble for $400, but who knows?

Does googling his email address bring anything up? I'm wondering if it is on CL in other transactions?

All in all, maybe it is legit. But, I don't think its worth bothering with. Move on to the next willing buyer, without cashier's checks, that doesn't worry you!

twowhat?
12-07-2011, 12:50 AM
All in all, maybe it is legit. But, I don't think its worth bothering with. Move on to the next willing buyer, without cashier's checks, that doesn't worry you!

He wants to pay with a cashier's check?? No go. Cash only, no exceptions.

kijip
12-07-2011, 12:52 AM
No. And I'm not very paranoid about CL buyers.

:yeahthat:

This sounds just enough off that I would walk away. It most likely is fine but I would not want to be the one to find out. Especially because he is coming from a city where you can buy anything! I might ship if he paypal-ed me the money. No Western Union.

KLD313
12-07-2011, 12:59 AM
oh yeah, i don't think the whole after-dark thing means he's an axe murderer or anything. my take on it is, he's proposing only very undesirable/inconvenient times (Sunday at 6pm is still weird), in order to try to push you to ship the stroller (and scam you). that's just the vibe i'm getting...

Oh yeah that makes sense. Idk why I didn't think of it that's way. I told him I'm not shipping it and tmrw I'm telling him I'm not meeting him at 6:30.

Regarding his email address it seems he's a wholesale jeweler, that's all I could find.

My gut feeling is that he's probably legit because he didn't sound slick on the phone or like one of those smooth talking people. He was saying how he had a few kids and then he wanted to check with his wife and call me back when I told him don't expect the stroller to look like new. I just have a tiny doubt in the back of my mind so I'm just going to err on the side of caution and skip it

Kungjo
12-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Sounds like a scam to me.

BayGirl2
12-07-2011, 02:39 AM
I don't think the times (8pm, 6pm on a Sunday) sound that weird. If I were buying something from someone on Craig's List those are generally the times I would have available to pick it up. And that does sound like a good deal for Bee, especially if you aren't seeing any others in that price range.

The only red flag to me are the money order and asking you to ship it. MAYBE he's just naive that those requests are not kosher. But I think you should stick to a public place, halfway between, cash only, and at a time that is ok for you. (Will 6pm work? That sounds reasonable to me for a working person.) Bring someone with you to the meeting place. If he's willing to meet those terms, then sell it to him, no harm done. If he backs off then just find someone else, he's probably not legit.

TwinFoxes
12-07-2011, 05:02 AM
CL warns people not to ship and not to accept western union right? To me, that's a hint. Yeah, he could be legit, but why stress? Nice stroller, good price, wait a week and get a buyer you feel good about.

Personally the whole "checking with his wife" sounds scammy to me. Because otherwise you'd wonder why some random guy is buying a high end stroller. Scammers have good backstories.

cntrymoon2
12-07-2011, 05:39 AM
The whole thing sounds off to me. I'd walk away.