PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen starter set recommendations please!

cutlerj
12-07-2011, 10:56 AM
We are purchasing a play kitchen for Christmas for our daughter who will be 20 months old. I am wanting to get a few things to go with it. I was thinking a pots & pan set, dish set and some play food. Which food would be a good starter set? Also, do you have any specific recommendations for a pots & pan set?

I plan on adding on more food for further holidays but would like to get an idea of what to get started with. I already purchased the Melissa and Doug felt food sandwich set and wooden fridge food set due to good sales I found but I am not sure if these would be better when she gets older. What play food did your 20-24 month old like best? TIA!

Charlie
12-07-2011, 12:39 PM
DS got a kitchen at 19 months and we got his pots/pans and cooking utensils from Ikea as well as a set of Plan Toys cutting food. All is well liked and still used but if I could do it over I would probably go with something from Green Toys as sometimes the metal was loud (he liked banging them around). They have a cooking set and a dish set. Green Toys also now makes food too. We have some plastic food as well and sometimes the lighter weight is nice compared to the wood food.

cutlerj
12-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks! I will check out the Green Toys selection.

Simon
12-08-2011, 02:34 PM
I will second the reccomendation for the Green Toys pots and pans or dishes set. We also want the tea set, but were gifted a different one and the quality is just not the same!

We bought the Learning Resources food set from Costco a few years ago. It was three small grocery baskets (1 bfast, 1 lunch, 1 dinner) and that was plenty for our kids. We have some Plan toys cutting foods, but that was actually a bust here. Don't know why. I did buy some felt food at Ikea but have not given it to the kids yet as we haven't needed it.