PDA

View Full Version : Do your kids exchange holiday gifts with each other?

BeachBum
12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Pretty straight forward question.
How do you do it at your house?

Melaine
12-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Yes....although I totally spaced on their birthday and forgot to help them pick something. usually we do something small like a Schleich animal that way they can pick something "different" but still close enough that there isn't disappointment ("but I want to buy this for ME too!")
This year I might let them give each other the big creatology unicorns at Michaels because they both really want them.

almostmom
12-07-2011, 12:20 PM
My kids have gotten really into this this year, especially DS. He's getting something for everyone! I usually ask that he pay a couple of dollars of the present, but he knows I'm not asking that of DD, as she doesn't have as much money saved up and is younger.

I'm interested in whether other people have the kids pay. I don't remember paying with my own money as a kid, but DH, and DS actually, think they should chip in.

zoestargrove
12-07-2011, 12:21 PM
last year they bought the same thing for each other. nerf guns and it was really funny on Christmas morning when they opened them.

This year, I'm encouraging them to make something. My older son is putting together a joke book for his younger brother. My youngest still needs to come up with a plan.

speo
12-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, we do it for birthdays and xmas. When we have time, we take them individually to pick out something. I am actually taking my youngest today. I think I'll try Target this time over TRU because it is smaller and has fewer choices. Our price range has varied between $10 and $20.

We also take them to pick out gifts for my DH and myself. That is a lot harder. They usually just want to pick out a toy. :wink2:

ETA: We pay for now. Eventually I think they should pay. Not sure when that will happen.

lizzywednesday
12-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Some of the best gifts I got as an older kid were from my siblings.

They would be SO proud to pick something out for me that they hoped I'd like. My brother Joe gave me an imitation aquamarine pendant one year (my birthstone!) ... my sister gave me a thimble (I collect thimbles) ... seriously, those were two of the best gifts because they were SO proud to give them to me.

When they were in grammar school, their PTA/PTO groups would run a holiday market with low-cost stuff that kids could pick out and wrap as gifts for their families.

Having them use their own money made them extra-conscious of budgeting and getting the best value, so to the PP who asked if the kids should use or contribute their own money, I think that's a good idea.

AnnieW625
12-07-2011, 01:08 PM
This will be the first year that DD1 will buy something for DD2. I will probably wrap something up for DD2 to give DD1, but I haven't decided what yet.

moosemama
12-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Yes! DS (age 5) is giving DD (age 1) a Little Sister shirt and DD is giving DS a Big Brother shirt! DS and I went shopping together to pick it out (DD was with me when I picked up the one for DS, but I don't think she really noticed!). DS also spent some of his own money at the Dollar Store to get a few little things for DD. He was very proud to pick them out and pay for them himself!

meggswife
12-07-2011, 01:21 PM
We do "Secret Sibling" at our house. The children draw a siblings name out of a hat and I take them shopping for a gift ($10 max). On Christmas Eve, the children exchange gifts and have to guess who their "Secret Sibling" is. We have a larger family (nine children), but it would work with three or more children. They love to guess who the secret person is and it's fun to see what they pick out for each other, (especially what the little guys pick for the older ones). : )

ezcc
12-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Mine do, I pay. They pick them out- and are pretty good at finding something the other would like.

Binkandabee
12-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I let them pick out a gift or two, depending on their choices. DD#2 is 3 years old and she was SO excited at her school's book fair yesterday because she'd found DD#1 a book about the human skeletal system. She did this all on her own and even took me to see it before she took me to see the books she wanted herself. DD#1 is totally into science and will absolutely love this book!

I was actually amazed at DD#2's ability to make sure she was choosing a gift for DD#1 and not for herself. DD#2 is a total girly girl and doesn't even have the slightest interest in a book about human bones at this point. She's all about ballerinas, makeup and princesses (which DD#1 is completely NOT). I'm proud that even at 3, she can think of others in this way.

icunurse
12-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Yes. I pay for the gifts right now and try to guide them a bit. No more than $25. I have found that they get very excited to give their gift and no matter how small it is, the receiver often thinks it is the best gift that they have been given since it is from their sibling.

brittone2
12-07-2011, 02:13 PM
We encourage them to make something for one another.

DS1 loves, loves, loves to read, so DD is making him bookmarks. I'm going to laminate them for her.

DS1 is going to help DH make DD an Ana White set of doll bunkbeds.

I will probably have both of them help me make something for DS2-maybe colored pasta or rice for a sensory bin.

Christeen_Trevor
12-07-2011, 02:45 PM
We do awana-- Scripture memory program at church. They memorize scripture and earn shares ( like play money). Once a month they get to "shop" with their shares. I am proud of both of my kids ages 5 and 7 for using their shares to shop for a christmas gift for their sibling.

Christeen

roseyloxs
12-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Yes but I do all the work still. My kids are only 4 and 2 so its more just to introduce the idea of giving. Next year they can be more involved in the actual shopping and picking. Each gift is under $10. I do plan on having them help me wrap the gift this year. When they get old enough to have an income they will be paying for it themselves.

JoyNChrist
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Last year DS1 INSISTED on getting the babies pillow pets. They were only 4 months old at the time, but he was convinced they needed them. He was even particular about which pet we could get for each one - a frog or a penguin for DS2 (ended up with a penguin) and a dolphin for DD.

I thought it was so sweet, so I went with it. He hasn't said anything about buying them a present this year, but if he does I'll bring him to get something, and then I'll have to get something for them to give him.

GaPeach_in_Ca
12-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Yes, for DH & myself too. I like to take them to the store or ask them what they'd like to get. This year I ended up getting the gifts myself and then getting their okay. I realized that I had plenty and I had some things that they would like to give. Not ideal, but fine.

Melaine
12-07-2011, 03:41 PM
We pay because we haven't started allowance yet.

vonfirmath
12-07-2011, 03:42 PM
My kids have gotten really into this this year, especially DS. He's getting something for everyone! I usually ask that he pay a couple of dollars of the present, but he knows I'm not asking that of DD, as she doesn't have as much money saved up and is younger.

I'm interested in whether other people have the kids pay. I don't remember paying with my own money as a kid, but DH, and DS actually, think they should chip in.

I don't remember ever not paying for my sister's gift. There were probably years that happened. But I don't remember. My parents did pay for the few birthday party gifts I needed over the years.

m448
12-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Normally we don't but thanks to the BBB I was inspired this year especially when my second asked to get something for his brother. However I'm having them make something for each other and they drew names from a hat. That avoided the petering out that happens after they get the first thing done and that way we don't have to spend a ton of $$$ on freaky/junky stuff. Next year I'll add momma and daddy to the hat of names.

I'm pinning a bunch of kid made gift ideas on pinterest and tomorrow I'll gently guide each one in private to something they can get done with stuff we have around the house and that the other child will enjoy receiving.

hillview
12-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Mine are going to this year. DS1 is into it. DS2 doesn't really get it.

KrisM
12-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes. DS1 and DD both shopped at the school's Santa Shop for everyone, including siblings. DS2 will take a trip to either Dollar Tree or 5 Below to do the same. I love seeing what they pick out for each other!

DS1 got DD an electronic memory game and he got DS2 sand toys.

DD got DS1 a ball that lights up when it bounces and a tic tac toe board. She got DS2 a Spiderman kite and an Imaginext Dragon.