PDA

View Full Version : ISO White Elephant Gift Exchange Ideas

katydid1971
12-07-2011, 12:15 PM
DH needs to bring a white elephant gift to his company party. I hate buying stuff for these because you are basically buying something someone is going to go home and throw away. I would love some suggestions in the $10-$15 range because, like I said it will probably get thrown away after the party.
Thanks

zoestargrove
12-07-2011, 12:24 PM
consumables have usually been the favorite gifts of years past.

wine, maple syrup, dd or starbucks gc, handmade/local made honey, jam, etc.

njk07
12-07-2011, 12:32 PM
How about this from the Teacher Gifts thread:

http://www.amazon.com/CSB-Commodities-Station-Accessory-Holder/dp/B001E97GA8/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323213014&sr=1-1

Ha! Ha!

urquie
12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Scratch lottery ticket or a bottle of wine/alcohol.

vonfirmath
12-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Starbucks gc has alrways gone over well in these kinds of things.

(as for "Always going home and throw away" I've got a blanket I got at a white elephant exchange in 1993? that I am still using.)

nabigus
12-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I just bought a couple of the 750ml bottles of really good beer (Delirium Tremens, mostly for the name!) for a white elephant gift exchange
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_Tremens_%28beer%29

I figure that's unlikely to get thrown away.

Jen841
12-07-2011, 01:15 PM
First if all, I thought White Elephant meant you did not buy something and you gifted/regifted something you already have.

Ideas for office exchange:
movie passes
holiday themed movie (I am giving Elf ($6 on Amazon), popcorn and candy this year)
new release movie
Trader Joe's gift card
good quality water bottle
beer pong was the hit of the party last year along with lottery scratch offs

sariana
12-07-2011, 02:14 PM
First if all, I thought White Elephant meant you did not buy something and you gifted/regifted something you already have.

:yeahthat:

mattiew
12-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Toilet mug....there are a number of retailers that sell it.
http://toiletmug.com/

RedSuedeShoes
12-07-2011, 02:53 PM
OK, while we're talking about white elephant exchanges....

I am invited to a cookie exchange party with the option of also participating in a white elephant ornament exchange. I am not sure what this means - should I buy a tacky ornament (I also hate to buy things that will get thrown away!) or regift an ornament I already have? I don't have anything we don't love, so I'm guessing I'll have to buy, but I could buy something awful from Goodwill.

sariana
12-07-2011, 02:58 PM
The term "white elephant" comes from a story about a man who was given a white elephant as a gift. He lived in a culture (perhaps India?) where elephants were revered and had to be treated well. The purpose of the "gift" was to create a burden for the man, who was required to provide (expensive) food and shelter for the animal.

A "white elephant" gift exchange usually means that people bring gifts that they do not need, for whatever reason. We have taken very nice things that were duplicates with no gift receipts or simply things we didn't want. Usually they were perfectly nice items; they just weren't for us. Some people do choose to take silly or funny items.

I don't really like the use of this term because I think gifts should be nice things. I don't see the point in buying something ridiculous. Every "white elephant" exchange I have attended has resulted in some participants' going home with very nice items while others go home with junk. That doesn't seem very "festive" to me.

zoestargrove
12-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I just bought a couple of the 750ml bottles of really good beer (Delirium Tremens, mostly for the name!) for a white elephant gift exchange
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_Tremens_%28beer%29

I figure that's unlikely to get thrown away.

ha ha! I'm going to hunt this down!

lkoala
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I once took a literal white elephant to a white elephant gift exchange. I loved it because it was a lenox white elephant figurine and I like Lenox figurines but the person who got it didn't seem so enthused. Oh well.

BabbyO
12-07-2011, 03:58 PM

:yeahthat:
Furthermore, around here White Elephant is regifted and wacky/crazy gag-type gift. That's why its fun to do the whole part where the person can choose an unopened gift or take an already opened gift. What of my "junk" does another person prefer/want?

I've done:
-old textbooks
-Used handtowel rolls (TP rolls for family only)
-the bacon wave that grandma got us from QVC
-mismatched socks
-weird vases/knick knack type things from rummage sales or dollar store clearance
-all the old pencil stubs from our junk drawer
-last year's or old calendar (bonus points if its 10 years old or older)
-the trophy/medal from your 2nd grade track meet
-Old phone books

ETA: I will note, that when we do White Elephant Gift exchanges the rules are typically explained because there are SO many interpretations (nice gifts vs gag; regift vs purchase; max $). I'd ask for clarification if it isn't crystal clear what type of gift you're supposed to exchange.

katydid1971
12-07-2011, 05:30 PM
OK going with the its something you already have idea, I went through our CD collection and pulled out a few "winners" that I can wrap together and give as a gift. I will double check with DH that its that kind of exchange and not that he should be bring something nicer.

Jo..
12-08-2011, 06:12 PM
too good to pass up.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YUt8yOcaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/ASSHOLE-REPELLENT-ULTIMATE-GIFT-PRODUCT/dp/B004Y6JFU2/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1323382304&sr=1-3

Twin Mom
12-09-2011, 12:56 AM
I posted this question a week or so ago. Our limit was $10. I ended up doing a TJ's reusable bag with a box of candy cane joe joe's, a box of coal and the chocolate drizzled popcorn. I stole my gift back :hysterical:

No rules were specified but noone did a gag gift. I posted in the other thread that I was thinking about bringing condoms since everyone at the party was single but I didn't since I knew I would get embarrassed. Maybe next year. :wink2:

KimMae
12-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Yes to Twinmom! My personal rule is that I always take something I would want to take home and I try to get that so at least there is one thing I'd want! It is usually a gift card.

I've been to the kind of exchange where you aren't allowed to buy anything too (white elephant) so I've regifted or used something that has sat in the gift closet for a long time. Or you can make things too - food or crafts.

I've never seen the kind of exchange where you actually bring garbage (short pencils) but that sounds funny if everyone is in on it.

Office gift exchanges always went for booze in my experience!

BabbyO
12-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Yes to Twinmom! My personal rule is that I always take something I would want to take home and I try to get that so at least there is one thing I'd want! It is usually a gift card.

I've been to the kind of exchange where you aren't allowed to buy anything too (white elephant) so I've regifted or used something that has sat in the gift closet for a long time. Or you can make things too - food or crafts.

I've never seen the kind of exchange where you actually bring garbage (short pencils) but that sounds funny if everyone is in on it.
Office gift exchanges always went for booze in my experience!

The key is that everyone HAS to be in on it. They did one at work a few years ago and as a result there is a travelling clown picture that pops up in random offices at random times. Its pretty funny and a bit of a morale booster.