PDA

View Full Version : booster issue update

HIU8
12-07-2011, 02:02 PM
DS was using a FR85 in booster mode and we had issues with the belt locking. Got DS a monterey (on incredible sale) and moved him to the opposite side of the car. First, let me say that moving him was great. No seatbelt locking issues. Second, the monterey is a MUCH BETTER FIT than the FR85 was-booster wise. I loved the FR85 as a harnessed seat, but honestly I didn't really like it as a booster for DS. The Monterey, though, is so much better. The fit is better, it seems a little slimmer than the FR85 also and DS has no issues buckling himself in. DD will eventually have the FR in booster (she is harnessed in it now). She is a bigger child than DS overall so I'm hoping the FR will be a better booster fit for her eventually.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Monterey purchase.

AnnieW625
12-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Yay so glad it worked out. Our Frontier is our spare seat now and just used for long trips because of the headings. The Frontier is actually easier to buckle in DH's car than our Pilot, but still much prefer it as a harnessed seat.

lhafer
12-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I have a FR85 for my 5.5 year old (very petite). She is still in harness mode and is happy that way. She's only about 35 pounds and about 43 inches tall.

Can you tell me what the issues are with the Frontier in booster mode? I was planning on the Frontier being her last seat! I do hear great things about the Montery, just wondering why the Frontier is a bad booster? I will keep her harnessed at least for another year I think. She's been stuck at 33-35 pounds now for a couple of years. She's due for a growth spurt!

I have a the Radian XTSL for my 21 month old and love it. And my 5.5 year old actually fits in it as well!! I was planning on keeping the XTSL as long as the little one fits in it.

HIU8
12-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't think the FR85 is a bad seat by any means. DS is 7 and 49 inches and 57 lbs. He, however, had a heck of a time buckling the seatbelt in booster mode. It was next to impossible in our Odyssey b/c he had to pretty much turn completely around to do so (b/c the seat is just so bulky). He completely fit into the seat though. The Monterey is just slimmer and far easier for DS to buckle in. He is happier that he can do it himself and we don't have an issue of the seatbelt locking EVERY SINGLE TIME he is in the car.

I thought it would be our last seat before a backless booster also. But I did not anticipate the issues we would have.

lhafer
12-07-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't think the FR85 is a bad seat by any means. DS is 7 and 49 inches and 57 lbs. He, however, had a heck of a time buckling the seatbelt in booster mode. It was next to impossible in our Odyssey b/c he had to pretty much turn completely around to do so (b/c the seat is just so bulky). He completely fit into the seat though. The Monterey is just slimmer and far easier for DS to buckle in. He is happier that he can do it himself and we don't have an issue of the seatbelt locking EVERY SINGLE TIME he is in the car.

I thought it would be our last seat before a backless booster also. But I did not anticipate the issues we would have.

Well, I am used to undoing my DD1's seat every.single.time because she's just not strong enough to unbuckle it. So if that's the only issue...I might be able to look past it. We'll see when the time comes, which I don't forsee as being any time soon!

Joolsplus2
12-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Glad the Monterey is so good so far :D