PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your baby's hands warm at night

BabbyO
12-07-2011, 03:50 PM
DS2 is 3 mo. He wears a sleep sack to bed, but won't put up with being swaddled (DS1 would only sleep if he WAS swaddled).

Apparently both take after me and get really cold hands and feet. So now that it is cooler out when DS2 wakes up his hands (and sometime feet) are FREEZING.

I think this wasn't a problem with DS1 because his hands would be next to his body when swaddled.

I've tried putting Socks on his hands, but that doesn't help. I've tried the roll over sleeves and he always manages to push his hands through.

Should I just not worry about it?

marymoo86
12-07-2011, 03:59 PM
This happened to DD even when swaddled - from what I have read that heat draws in from extremities to keep the core warm. To ensure that your DS isn't too hot or cold - check the ears. They should feel "fresh" not hot or cold.

BabbyO
12-07-2011, 04:23 PM
This happened to DD even when swaddled - from what I have read that heat draws in from extremities to keep the core warm.

I knew this, but for me when my hands and/or feet are cold I'm uncomfortable and can't sleep. I guess it doesn't seem to bother him.

To ensure that your DS isn't too hot or cold - check the ears. They should feel "fresh" not hot or cold.

Good to know...I'd never heard this.

mackmama
12-07-2011, 04:50 PM
We put Hanna Anderson socks on DC's hands... they stayed on well.

secchick
12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
I have the same problem, but DS (4 months) sucks his thumb and puts himself back to sleep and soothes himself that way, so putting anything over his hands is a no go. It would bother me, but doesn't seem to bother him.

MommyAllison
12-07-2011, 05:19 PM
DD2 has been wearing a gown to bed and then swaddled in an A&A blanket. She often gets her arms out of the swaddle, so the gown is great because I fold the sleeve over her hands (like you would for a nb so they don't scratch their face. If I remember I put socks on her too, since she is long and her feet often poke out of the gown. Do you have anything with the fold over sleeves that your DS could wear under the sleep sack?

ETA: Ok nevermind, I just re-read your post and you said fold over sleeves don't work. Sorry!