PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever....

BabbyO
12-08-2011, 09:27 AM
give your DC 4 names. Or maybe it is 1 first name and 3 middle names...or maybe it is 2 first names and 2 middle names.

Just curious - Poll coming.

A family member just gave her DD 4 names (plus her last name).

gamma
12-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Yes - if the names had special meaning or significance for me.

HIU8
12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
We almost gave DD 3 names--first name, 2 middle names. My grandmother passed away when DD was 9 days old and I know we had a year to alter her name easily. However, one name was so long that we thought it would be a pain when filling out forms. That is the only reason we did not do it.

BabbyO
12-08-2011, 10:05 AM
I think the names are beautiful and they DO have special meaning to the family. I've just never heard of doing 4 names...3 I've heard of.

Just curious what others think

crl
12-08-2011, 10:45 AM
I voted yes, but I didn't read closely enough and thought you meant four names total. Both our kid's have two middle names. DS is adopted and had a name. We kept part of that and made it his first middle name. Both kid's have my last name (different from dh's) as their second middle name.

Since I did four total because the meanings were so important to me, I guess I'd do five total though I would really think long and hard about it first.

Catherine

buddyleebaby
12-08-2011, 11:01 AM
When my son was born, I nixed the idea of two middle names because it just seemed too long.

Now, I kind of wish I had done it. It's no longer than people with hyphenated last names. Sometimes when I call him, I call him by all four names anyway. :loveeyes: (Last name included).

I don't think I would give him three middle names.

marymoo86
12-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Only if I were of royal blood :tongue5:

boolady
12-08-2011, 11:53 AM
No, because I'm pretty traditional, and while I've heard of 3, 4 would be a bit much to me. That's probably because our last name is a doozy to start out with...4 other names in addition to that would be ridiculous.

brittone2
12-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I voted yes, but rereading that you meant 4 names plus a last name? No.

I would consider 4 if it was first, middle, two last names, or first/2 middles and a last name. If it was really, really important to me, I'd do it, with my eyes open to the fact that it could be a PITB down the road for the child as he/she grows up.

I totally understand how many couples want the child to have both of their last names incorporated into the name, etc. and if it was really important to me, I'd do it. My kids all just have first, middle, and last names. DS1 goes by his middle name though (which can be a hot topic here on the boards LOL).

BabbyO
12-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Yep, 4 names PLUS a last name so 5 total

First, middle, middle, middle, last

or maybe

First, first, middle, middle, last

AnnieW625
12-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Nope, unless we really liked a name like Mary Beth and still wanted to do a middle name.

kedss
12-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I did, my second daughter is Rachel Fletcher(one of my family names), Icelandic name, last name. And my first daughter is Hannah Grace Icelandic name, last name. Their maternal grandmother os Icelandic, so all 3 DC have Icelandic names, but with my DDs I made sure I gave them a name I wanted them to have too. I think I overcompenssted since I dont have a middle name, LOL. :)

(sorry, nope, wouldn't do 5 :))

sarahsthreads
12-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I voted no, because I wouldn't do it myself. So it would be like "Sarah Lee Ann Marie Lastname"? (Just throwing out random names there.) I suppose if they only ever called her Sarah, and the rest of the names were on legal forms only...it could get tedious for her filling out forms, but how often are middle name(s) used anyway?

If it's more like "Sarah Lee Ann Lastname1 Lastname2" that's a little less strange to me. Still would be a pain for legal forms, though!

Sarah :)

boolady
12-08-2011, 12:22 PM
If it's more like "Sarah Lee Ann Lastname1 Lastname2" that's a little less strange to me. Still would be a pain for legal forms, though!

I agree...it would make more sense to me, but I would still think it would be logistically difficult to deal with.

BabbyO
12-08-2011, 12:42 PM
I voted no, because I wouldn't do it myself. So it would be like "Sarah Lee Ann Marie Lastname"? (Just throwing out random names there.) I suppose if they only ever called her Sarah, and the rest of the names were on legal forms only...it could get tedious for her filling out forms, but how often are middle name(s) used anyway?

Sarah :)

yep like Sarah Lee Ann Marie lastname. Only longer names, think:

Stacy Alexandra Carolyn Faith McKinley (Not the actual name...but the right number of syllables for each)

Mopey
12-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I am happy to admit I was given five names and my married name makes a sixth! (Though I still just use my first and last).

There is method to the madness though:

First two names after great-grandmother & grandmother (on dad's side)

Middle name - French catholic (Marie for the virgin)

Last two - family name & title. This is something I rarely admit but my father's family is old aristocratic so you have the technical last name, and then the title part. We actually just found out a few years ago that we should be going by the name before the last name. But you put the "of ....." on the end anyway.

Anyway, I have to say I get lots of compliments because altogether it's quite beautiful. Oh, and my sis & dad have the whole same name too, just different first & second.

I have actually been struggling with this for our baby. Which family name to pass on, and five is my fave number. I'm seriously thinking about it - BUT it has to flow and sound nice.

Can I ask, please don't judge? :shy: