PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on gifts...to buy or not to buy?

logan's mom
12-08-2011, 09:29 AM
As of November 1st, my husband has been promoted to CEO of a small hospital. Since he has only been there a few weeks and doesn't know everyone real well, he doesn't think he needs to buy Christmas gifts. I will be making the members of his senior team (the 6 people who report directly to him and his secretary) a box of homemade treats...cookies, caramels, truffles, etc. but I think he still needs to get each person a small store bought gift.

Any gifts bought would be paid for out of our pocket-not from hospital/corporate funds.

Also, bonuses are not given out until February so there isn't a holiday bonus to speak of.

ETA: DH and I are currently living in separate cities....I have only met his co-workers once and been to the town where he is currently living twice- : (

mytwosons
12-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Yes, I think he needs to purchase something - perhaps gift cards to a nice local restaurant?

I'm not CEO level, and my DH has been out of work for 3 years, but I still feel I "need" to purchase holiday gifts for the people who report up to me.

hillview
12-08-2011, 09:38 AM
My husband is CEO of a small company. Every year he give all employees a bottle of champagne and a card. I do think he should give something nice.
/hillary

sweetsue98
12-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I love homemade gifts from friends and family but not in a corporate setting. if you were to give a gift, maybe amex cards, coffee basket or other food items would be great!

logan's mom
12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
perhaps gift cards to a nice local restaurant?

I would love to do something local to support the community but there really aren't any restaurants in town....unless you count the Chinese take-out place.

DietCokeLover
12-08-2011, 09:47 AM
I don't think homemade gifts are a great idea at that level. To me, that is very personal and that is not what this situation is. I would suggest gift boxes from somewhere like Omaha Steaks or a honey baked ham.

*myfoursons
12-08-2011, 09:55 AM
I have to agree to nix the homemade items (sorry). I would also be careful with the champagne, as you're not sure of employee situations yet.

Gift boxes from Harry & David or a similar place would be the best idea in my opinion.

janeybwild
12-08-2011, 10:53 AM
No on the homemade gifts, or yes if it comes with a gift card.

HonoluluMom
12-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Since you and your DH aren't familiar with the employees including their personal likes/dislikes or their food preferences, I'd go with a gift cards.

boolady
12-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't think homemade gifts are a great idea at that level. To me, that is very personal and that is not what this situation is. I would suggest gift boxes from somewhere like Omaha Steaks or a honey baked ham.

Since you and your DH aren't familiar with the employees including their personal likes/dislikes or their food preferences, I'd go with a gift cards.

I agree. I'm not the CEO of anything, but I do supervise four other people, and I get them a gift card or something else a bit more substantial than homemade edibles every year. I'm not knocking you for baking at all, because I love to make pumpkin bread and things for neighbors every year, but I think that (a), as Honolulu Mom points out, he has no idea about food preferences/allergies, etc., it's not a great idea; and (b) as Diet Coke Lover states so well, homemade gifts don't really fit the situation. It's a professional workplace and he is the big boss. I think he needs to give something a bit more substantial.

BabyBearsMom
12-08-2011, 01:31 PM
My boss is the CFO of our organization. For Xmas, he usually takes all of his direct reports out for a nice lunch. He also usually gives us something homemade (he and his wife are very crafty, one year he gave us all pickled lemons with a recipe card on how to use them, it was really cute) and a bottle of wine or champagne. He also writes a card thanking us for all that we do.

I say he should take them out to lunch as a thank you and use it as an opportunity to get to know everyone better. Also, if he is the CEO, could he give everyone a half day or something similar (beyond his direct reports?) to finish up holiday shopping or head out for their holiday travels etc? I always give my staff a half day on the day before Christmas so they can get to where they need to go. That might be harder in a hospital, but it is always much appreciated.

3isEnough
12-08-2011, 02:02 PM
I have to go with most of the PPs and agree that a gift card, Harry & David basket or similar is best in this situation. And I also agree that homemade treats are too personal for now. Maybe next year when he knows the people better and likely on a more personal level he can do homemade goodies plus a GC, but for now I'd skip those. Sorry! But they definitely sound great for friends, and I'd be happy if you sent them my way :wink2:

HannaAddict
12-08-2011, 03:21 PM
I agree. I'm not the CEO of anything, but I do supervise four other people, and I get them a gift card or something else a bit more substantial than homemade edibles every year. I'm not knocking you for baking at all, because I love to make pumpkin bread and things for neighbors every year, but I think that (a), as Honolulu Mom points out, he has no idea about food preferences/allergies, etc., it's not a great idea; and (b) as Diet Coke Lover states so well, homemade gifts don't really fit the situation. It's a professional workplace and he is the big boss. I think he needs to give something a bit more substantial.

All that and more. Homemade gifts are fine for family or close friends, but not work people especially since he is the CEO. It would be nice for him to bring a tray of homemade treats to put in the break room to share, but not a gift. My husband is the managing partner of a law firm and they do $500 G.C for all employees, I think it is too much and it is expensive (they do bonuses too), but his partner really likes to do it, but a GC or steaks or really good wine would be more appropriate.

Aishe
12-08-2011, 03:46 PM
My FIL used to head a medical facility and my MIL made homemade gifts for the employees for a few years. This was a long time ago and she *still* complains about how unappreciative people were about the gifts. I really think people expect something store bought in a corporate setting. Consumables are still nice, though . . . maybe something like a Harry and David basket? Or - my eternal recommendation - a set of Penzeys spices?

TwinFoxes
12-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I don't think homemade gifts are a great idea at that level. To me, that is very personal and that is not what this situation is.

Completely agree. Unless like PP said it comes attached to a good sized gift card. :) I think Amazon GCs would be nice.

mousemom
12-08-2011, 05:10 PM
I agree with others. I would give something more to the direct reports - gift card, fancy food of some sort (honeybaked ham, godiva chocolates, harry & david, etc.). Homemade treats for others to share in the office would be nice in addition though.