PDA

View Full Version : Sittercity users, a question.

cvanbrunt
12-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Okay. We just moved here and I signed up for sitter city and posted a job. I've gotten tons of responses but I'm really confused. I thought the whole point of these sites was that they run background checks/screen the sitters? Why do most of the applicants not have a background check? Would you use someone without one? I'm not looking for a nanny, just a semi-regular sitter for nights out.
Thanks!

infocrazy
12-08-2011, 01:07 PM
You can pay $10 to run a background check (or the sitter can pay it themselves). The background check I think is good for a year so it stays with the sitter.

There is no screening on the sitters. They give you guidelines, but it is free for the sitter to join. The point is just to give you access to them.

I found our current nanny on there and she didn't have a sittercity one...but she also worked in an elementary school and I knew she had already had one.

amldaley
12-08-2011, 03:21 PM
When you browse the people who post as available, there should be a little banner that says if they are background checked or not.

I have used both. The problem with the $10 background check is that it is not particularly thorough. I believe it is a national and local records check for feloniy convictions only? Not sure.

I have had great success with Sittercity, but I also hired the girls to come over for a couple of days as a "mothers helper" first while I was still at home. Sort of like a paid playdate to see how I liked them.