PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed re: convertible seats

NCGrandma
12-08-2011, 05:36 PM
When I visit my family at Christmas, I plan to talk with them about next steps whenever DGD2 outgrows her Britax Chaperone so I can be on the lookout for super deals ahead of time. I am officially the 'car seat grandma' and bought all the seats for DGD1 (now 7.5 yo, in a Big Kid AMP).

Won't know DGD2's height/weight until I visit, but she is definitely smaller than DGD1 who has always been very tall and slender. Their cars are a 2012 Mazda5 and a 2005 Toyota Matrix (which may be replaced in the next 6-12 mos). They like Britax seats for ease of install/ease of use, and the Chaperone has been very satisfactory as far as I know. When it's outgrown, I am thinking of suggesting MA 70 or BLVD 70 for both cars if I can get a good enough deal; if not, a RA 55 or 50 for the car she rides in less-often. I like the no-rethread harness feature of the MA/BLVD and the slightly larger height limits than the RA.

DGD1 surprised us by outgrowing her Graco infant seat and moving to a RA at 5 months, but of course seats were smaller in 2004. Before age 2.5, she was out of the RA and in a Radian and Regent. We're hoping and expecting that current seats will last longer!

Any suggestions? Any other considerations I'm missing?

BayGirl2
12-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Wow, you are such a great Grandma! Wish all grandparents were that aware of carseat safety and willing to buy for their grandkids.

You'll find a lot of Britax fans here. We have 2 Blvds and love them. Easy to use and you can find a good deal if you are patient and look around.

AnnieW625
12-09-2011, 01:20 PM
We hav a BLVD 70 and a RA 55. I haven't driven my DH's car which has the RA55 in it yet so I have no real comments on the seat except that it fits rear facing passenger side in our 01 Corolla. I really like BLVD 70 in my car and I really like it. DD2 is a car sleeper so the headings make sense. I also think that the BLVD is a tad deeper in the seat. I tried DD2 in a Marathon, a BLVD, and a My Ride. She was most comfortable in the BLVD, then the My Ride, and then the Marathon.

legaleagle
12-09-2011, 04:10 PM
I think a britax would be a great choice. I would definitely get one of the new generation though, not the roundabout 50/classic marathon. I have one of each and vastly prefer the new one. They definitely fit great in a mazda5 - I have a 2009 and it installs in seconds (but then again, most seats do, it's an awesome car for carseats).

emily
12-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Sorry no carseat advice (tho we love our Britax seats), just had to comment what a great grandma you are! You scout HA sales and carseats!:applause::applause:

NCGrandma
12-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for confirming that I'm on the right track! Hopefully we can look at the BLVD, MA and RA (latest models of all these) while I'm visiting and see what their preferences are. Plenty of time for bargain-hunting because the Chaperone will work for a good bit longer.

And :thanks: for the kind words -- I have learned so much here, and my family knows it. In fact, I had a call today asking me to be on the lookout for some warm long underwear for DGD1 to wear horseback riding, and I remembered the LL Bean 20%-off code posted in the bargains forum (I also added in a crank flashlight to bring the pre-discount total to over $50 so I'll get a $10 GC for myself!).