PDA

View Full Version : How to buy Visa or Amex gift cards without the fees?

blisstwins
12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I know I got amex cards without the $4.95 fee last year, but i have no memory of how. Any suggestions?

psimpson3-5
12-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Check with your bank. Many banks now offer these gift cards without the fee.

lilhilly
12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Do you have an AmEx? AmEx usually offers cardholders fee-free gift cards a week or two before Xmas. I think you still have to pay a few dollars for shipping.

div_0305
12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
My credit union bank offers Visa cards fee free. Our local mall does, too! Call the customer service line at your local mall and ask.

For Amex, while they offer the fee waiver as a cardholder, it's a pain because you have to have them shipped.

So much easier to get the Visa cards, and more widely accepted (sorry Amex--love you but just not as convenient).

mshen
12-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Div_0305, can I ask which of your local mall offers that? My parents are in VA and they are in need of gift cards. Thx

curiousgeorge
12-09-2011, 02:23 PM
In my experience the Simon malls have a fee free GC that is a visa.

Jenn850
12-09-2011, 02:30 PM
FYI My husband and I have both ultimately had to throw out these given to us as gifts because they were so hard to use. From different sources. And I am cheap, so I have waited with frustrated clerks (at different stores) over and over for long periods of time before coming to trash them.

Your experience might be different... but thought you might like to know.

babyzolo
12-09-2011, 02:34 PM
If you have an Amex card, you can call Amex and they may give you a code to use to get fee-free cards. I did this for getting cards for day-care teachers for our center.

FedBaby
12-09-2011, 04:05 PM
FYI My husband and I have both ultimately had to throw out these given to us as gifts because they were so hard to use. From different sources. And I am cheap, so I have waited with frustrated clerks (at different stores) over and over for long periods of time before coming to trash them.

Your experience might be different... but thought you might like to know.

Are you referring to the Visa cards or the Am Ex cards or both? Would love to know the details so I know what to expect!

Bryan mom
12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I bank at Chase and am able to get Visa gift cards with no fee.

When I get gift cards, I use them to pay my bills online.

Pinky
12-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Are you referring to the Visa cards or the Am Ex cards or both? Would love to know the details so I know what to expect!

We got VISA gift cards with the purchase of our house (incentive through our realtor) and they were a pain to use as well. We always had to know the remaining balance on the card in order to use it... and there were always problems with it. Finally got them spent, but it was not frustration free.

lilhilly
12-09-2011, 10:33 PM
We got VISA gift cards with the purchase of our house (incentive through our realtor) and they were a pain to use as well. We always had to know the remaining balance on the card in order to use it... and there were always problems with it. Finally got them spent, but it was not frustration free.

When I get a Visa or AmEx GC, I use it to buy an Amazon GC. Much easier to use.

jgenie
12-09-2011, 10:55 PM
When I get a Visa or AmEx GC, I use it to buy an Amazon GC. Much easier to use.

What a great idea - I have an AmEx card that's been in my wallet since the spring. I'm using it tomorrow.

azmaple
12-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Target is a good place to use your partial value Amex & VI/MC giftcards. They just slide through like any other card and it'll show your balance remaining either on the card or that you owe them. More and more rebates are coming as VI/MC's and I'm sure that trend will continue.