PDA

View Full Version : Do you have your tv mounted on a wall? (or a corner m,ount?)

Green22
12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
We have only a teeny little area where we can put our TV and its a corner. We have a 40 inch flat screen.

There is no other set up for the couches/tv because this is the living room in a split-level home, so the one area where we could put a couch (facing a wall where the tv could go) backs up against an iron railing/the entry way. There is not a doubt in my mind that my DD would climb to the top of the sofa and go right over the railing. So we're stuck trying to fit a tv in this corner.

The only scenario I think that works is getting one of those wall-mounts and the ones for corners are kind of huge and ugly and HEAVY - like a big bendable "arm" coming out of the wall. I'm afraid it won't be properly installed and there will be a risk of a heavy tv crashing down with a heavy piece of metal. Unreasonable?

If you have one, what do you think?

Any ideas for other small corner tv solutions?

smiles33
12-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Yes, and we got it thanks to an interior decorator's suggestion (I donated $100 to a charity and she did a walk-through for 2 hours for free!). I, too, was apprehensive, especially since ours is a 50" flat-screen. It's mounted on one wall and then angled out to sit comfortably in the corner. I bought it from costco.com for about $125 (I think?) and it's awesome. Not only did I get to move the ugly (free with purchase) TV stand to DH's "man cave," but it opens up that whole corner of the room.

Our TV mount model is not visible at all unless you walk up and crouch down below the TV and look up. Since it sits in the corner, no one can walk behind it.

We live in earthquake country, too, which made me worried, but the angled wall mount we got (which allows you to pull the TV away from the wall and angle it) can support the weight of a grown man (saw the video!). I installed it mostly by myself, including drilling the frame supports in the studs, but definitely needed DH's help to lift the TV up onto the frame.

Totally worth it!

hillview
12-09-2011, 03:37 PM
I paid to have ours installed on the wall and LOVE having it there. It is fantastic.

newg
12-09-2011, 03:44 PM
you could do a corner tv stand. the ILs just bought a 42'' (maybe 40''?) and put it on top of their corner electric fireplace......it looks really cute.

emily
12-09-2011, 03:57 PM
We had ours in the corner using a corner TV stand. THis summer, DH finally got around to mounting it on the wall. You just need to mount it to the studs. It was actually much easier that we thought it would be.

sunshine873
12-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Love having our TV on the wall. The biggest benefit: DD cant touch it!

daniele_ut
12-09-2011, 04:08 PM
If the mount is sized properly for the TV and installed correctly it is much safer than having a TV on an unsecured stand where a child could climb up and tip it over on themselves. Ours is a 42" LCD and it is wall mounted in our basement family room. It's not in a corner, however, just flat on the wall.

Tammy
12-09-2011, 10:57 PM
We have ours mounted up in the corner also. I believe it's 36" or so, but can't swear to the size right now. We have someone to help with the "handyman" things around here and he mounted it for us using the hardware from Best Buy. I was also unsure about it, but it's sturdy and looks nice. The only thing I don't like is that the tv wires come from the floor up so you can see them and wish we would have noticed this at first when they came to install our satellite.

Giantbear
12-09-2011, 11:06 PM
If installed right, anchored properly into the studs, the wall mount should be very safe

BillK
12-09-2011, 11:20 PM
This a old shot of ours but it's still essentially the same now 5 years later. It's a BDI Vista stand & 42" Pioneer Elite plasma.

http://btz.smugmug.com/photos/179146083_j9Xqg-M.jpg