PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a used American Girl doll?

cilantromapuche
12-09-2011, 10:23 PM
I am new to this doll stuff and I really want to find Felicity. I am meeting someone from craiglists in a parking lot(also a new concept for me) to look at one. What am I even looking for? Are the dolls clearly marked?
I wish I had known DD was going to be into this stuff and would have bought the dolls before they retired last year. GRRRRR.

mom2binsd
12-10-2011, 12:21 AM
How much are they wanting for the doll? You want to make sure the arms and legs are not too floppy and that the hair looks nice, and that there are no marks on her face, and that the eyes open and close.

I know Felicity on ebay, NIB goes for about 120.00...or less if you want a used one in very good condition.

If there is an X on the doll it just means it was returned, no big deal unless you plan to resell as a collectible.

AngelaS
12-10-2011, 07:15 AM
It should also be able to stand up. :)

newg
12-10-2011, 03:11 PM
You might want to look on the AG doll website at their doll hospital info.......they can fix a lot of stuff (for a price)....so if the doll does have some damage, and you know it can be fixed, you may be able to negoiate (knowing the price you'll have to pay to fix it) and get it for even cheaper.

Let me look on the bitty baby we have to see if their are any AG markings on her.....

You could also call AG and see if they can provide you with any serial # or markings to look for to make sure it's a real one.

newg
12-10-2011, 03:17 PM
on the back of our bitty baby, on her neck, says "American Girl, LLC". I would guess all of their dolls say that.

cilantromapuche
12-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I am off to meet some lady from craiglist in a parking lot. This is my first experience buying something used and I feel shady meeting in a parking lot :) I am going to check ebay after this.

elephantmeg
12-10-2011, 10:16 PM
so how did it go?

lalasmama
12-10-2011, 11:02 PM
so how did it go?

:yeahthat:

I love hearing about these possibly fantastic CL finds. Can't wait to find out if it was a good one!

newg
12-10-2011, 11:04 PM
:yeahthat:

I love hearing about these possibly fantastic CL finds. Can't wait to find out if it was a good one!

me too!